Which 508.00 oil would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming up to my next oil change on my 2018 Audi S4. I got the first oil change at 7.5K miles as comes free for the first one. I performed UOA on both the FF and sampled the second one without draining at 4.5k miles.

I'm settling on 7.5K OCI as I feel comfortable with this. Maybe I will extend it out but for now would like to stick with it.

I am currently looking at either sticking with the Castrol LL IV FE that I've been using or possibly switching to Motul or Ligui Moly Top Tech 6200. I have contacted Mobil 1 but it does not appear you can get their ESP 0W20 in the US just yet.

The reason I may want to switch is that I use about a liter of oil for the 7.5k interval. I know that's pretty "standard" now but I have other vehicles that don't use any oil. A person on the Audi Forums claimed they used oil with Castrol but did not use any when they switched to Motul.

I know the motor is still young and breaking in but I guess I'm not too thrilled with the wear numbers. Before someone suggest running something like Mobil 1 0W40 or Castrol in 0W40 I would like to follow the warranty guidelines and use 508 as much as I would love to use something else. This may change in time but for right now want to stick with 508 oil.

I'm leaning with using Motul as someone had a favorable experience with it. It is a little more expensive then the Castrol. Since there are no 508 spec oils on shelves they must be ordered. The Castrol with a filter is roughly $90 for 8 liters. The Motul is around $110. The S4 has a capacity of 7.25 liters (7.7 quarts) with the remaining .75 liters used for "top offs". No idea how much the Liqui Moly would run me.

Last thing I have feeling the TBN number for the FF was out of error. With that said it is a little disconcerting that the TBN was at 3.3 with only 4.5k miles on the oil. I'm thinking 7.5k OCI is ok since I use almost a liter of makeup oil. Any concerns here?

If it were up to you what would you choose and why? Looking forward to your guys opinions!

[Linked Image]

Yeah, the 508:00/509:00 oil is ridiculously priced and limited in availability. After doing some research, I ordered some Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 for my first oil change in my Tiguan. I decided to use the Mobil 1 ESP based on United Kingdom oil recommendations for the VW 2.0 TSI. I will use the Mobil 1 ESP at 5,000 miles and 15,000 miles. I do get 2 free oil changes at the dealership at 10,000 miles and 20,000 miles. In my opinion 10,000 miles is too far to go on 0W20 oil of any brand. Hopefully after 20,000 miles the 508:00/509:00 oils will be more readily available. If not, I will use Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 or 5W30 every 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted by MParr
Yeah, the 508:00/509:00 oil is ridiculously priced and limited in availability. After doing some research, I ordered some Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 for my first oil change in my Tiguan. I decided to use the Mobil 1 ESP based on United Kingdom oil recommendations for the VW 2.0 TSI. I will use the Mobil 1 ESP at 5,000 miles and 15,000 miles. I do get 2 free oil changes at the dealership at 10,000 miles and 20,000 miles. In my opinion 10,000 miles is too far to go on 0W20 oil of any brand. Hopefully after 20,000 miles the 508:00/509:00 oils will be more readily available. If not, I will use Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 or 5W30 every 5,000 miles.

Agree on all accounts. The price is shocking compared to what I normally pay for oil.

I have tried to see what spec is called for in Europe for this motor and haven't been able to confirm it. If they use 504 over there I would love to use that here and not have to worry about warranty issues. I feel this 508 spec was made to please CAFE standards and nothing more. I'm not saying its a bad oil I just think there are better options out there (504) and cheaper.

I happen to agree with you on the formulation was to meet CAFE standards. That is the only logical conclusion that I can come to. I really don't believe that using Mobil1 ESP is going to lead to catastrophic engine failure. I am going to post a link to the Mobil 1 UK link. It shows that Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 & M1 ESP 5W30 can be used for short drains. Whatever that means and Mobil 1 ESP 0W20 for extended drains.
https://www.mobil1.co.uk/which-synt...obil1&equipment_id=FawEcXL3l&p=2

I can see experimenting with the Motul but chasing after Liqui Moly is not likely worth doing IMO.

If you are seeing rapid TBN depletion maybe you are better off with the Castrol and having that quart top off to give it a nice shot in the arm through the OCI.

Not a fan of 0w20 in anything, but in a German engine it just seems silly. CAFE again for sure. Once out of warranty I'd be putting a good Euro oil in it for sure.

Very nice car by the way. The A4 was my favorite when recently car shopping.

Hi
Anyone make a suggestion as to why Boron levels are 9 in first test and 50 in second when same oil is used?

Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
Anyone make a suggestion as to why Boron levels are 9 in first test and 50 in second when same oil is used?

It's actually reversed, the newer test is on the left.

Who knows, could have had boron in the assembly lube or something?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
I happen to agree with you on the formulation was to meet CAFE standards. That is the only logical conclusion that I can come to. I really don't believe that using Mobil1 ESP is going to lead to catastrophic engine failure. I am going to post a link to the Mobil 1 UK link. It shows that Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 & M1 ESP 5W30 can be used for short drains. Whatever that means and Mobil 1 ESP 0W20 for extended drains.
https://www.mobil1.co.uk/which-synt...obil1&equipment_id=FawEcXL3l&p=2

Correct I don't think using the ESP would lead to an engine failure. Quite the opposite as I think it would be an excellent oil to run. There have been a few earlier build S4/S5/SQ5 that have had engines let go. Mine isn't an early build but I would hate for something to happen.

Interesting the UK site for Mobile and Shell say to use a 504 spec and 502 along with 508. I've tried to google Audi UK but cant for the life of me figure out where they list oil specs for models.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I can see experimenting with the Motul but chasing after Liqui Moly is not likely worth doing IMO.

If you are seeing rapid TBN depletion maybe you are better off with the Castrol and having that quart top off to give it a nice shot in the arm through the OCI.

Not a fan of 0w20 in anything, but in a German engine it just seems silly. CAFE again for sure. Once out of warranty I'd be putting a good Euro oil in it for sure.

Very nice car by the way. The A4 was my favorite when recently car shopping.

I'll be honest I've never used Liqui Moly and personally think they are one of the "boutique" oils that cost a lot of money. Their oils seem to perform well but oils that are half the price seem to be just as good too. The main reason I threw it out there was just for the lack of options I have to choose from. If I still have this car when the warranty is up a good Euro oil will be going in for sure.

Also thanks for the kind words. Its actually my wife's car and she loves it. She had an S3 before and likes the bigger size of the S4 along with how nice it rides and how refined it looks inside. Its a type of car that does a lot of things very well.

Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi

I've been told that Audi uses a bulk oil made by Castrol (Not the LL IV FE) for the factory fill, that's probably cheaper to manufacture but still meets the specs they require. I will admit that the Castrol LL IV FE add pack looks boring minus the Ti.

I see your in the UK. Can you confirm what oil spec Audi calls for over there for the S4/S5 models. Thanks!

Originally Posted by TiGeo
I would go with Liqui Moly personally - proven oil for German cars.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/oil-service-kit/20236kt/

$125 for an oil change 1/2x a year for a car that is v. expensive doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Thanks for the link. That's cheaper then what I thought it would be for LM.

Correct $125 vs the cost of the car is not bad. Its just the fact I can do an oil change for my Jeep GC that cost close to the Audi for $30.

With that logic a $20,000 oil change for a Bugatti shouldn't be that big a deal.....

I'm not trying to be cheap about this whole thing but at the end of day oil is oil. Its just frustrating to be stuck paying so much for an oil change relative to what I'm used to paying. Cost of saving the planet I suppose.

Originally Posted by Vigg
I'm coming up to my next oil change on my 2018 Audi S4.

I would like to follow the warranty guidelines and use 508 as much as I would love to use something else.

I know the engines are not the same but I still wonder why this V6 turbo requires 508 oils ie 0W20s whereas the same MY (and even 2019) Golf R must use a 504?

confused2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 21Rouge

I would like to follow the warranty guidelines and use 508 as much as I would love to use something else.

I know the engines are not the same but I still wonder why this V6 turbo requires 508 oils ie 0W20s whereas the same MY (and even 2019) Golf R must use a 504?

confused2.gif

Golf R should still be spec'd for 502, not 504.

confused2.gif

I was too loose in my earlier post ie 502 is for sure permitted (at least for the 2018 MY Golf R) but 504 is the recommended viscosity.

Last edited:

confused2.gif

I was too loose in my earlier post ie 502 is for sure permitted (at least for the 2018 MY Golf R) but 504 is the recommended viscosity.

From a 2019 Golf R manual and underhood sticker. controversy! I'd never use anything but 5W40 VW502.00 in a Golf R which is what manual says (502). The underhood stickers are wrong...same with the Atlas. Why VW can't sort this descrepency out is beyond me.

FB_IMG_1568902323689.jpg

FB_IMG_1568902342092.jpg

Last edited:
From a 2019 Golf R manual and underhood sticker. controversy! I'd never use anything but 5W40 VW502.00 in a Golf R which is what manual says (502). The underhood stickers are wrong...same with the Atlas. Why VW can't sort this descrepency out is beyond me.
If you may drive 0W-30 and 5W-30 in 504, you may drive 502. And 0W-40/5W-40.

Foreword:
"Despite the exclusive use of degrees Celsius in weather reports, some older Canadians still use Fahrenheit. Most outdoor thermometers display temperatures in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. Additionally, outdoor signs usually display Celsius with occasional references to Fahrenheit. Inside newer buildings, digital and analog thermostats display temperature settings in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit. Environment Canada still offers an imperial unit option beside metric units."

Ok. I have no idea waht it rigth (°F or km/kmh etc.)
laugh.gif
If you are in CA in a region with a winter which go lower than -10°C, 5W-30 is not a bad idea. Mobil1 5W-30 is further the king of 504/507 and survive in Golf7 engines 12k miles.

But... intrinsic... VAGs factory tuned 2.0T need 503.01
cool.gif
Since first S3 8P (since at the least 2007 therefore). Its very rare glimpse a oil whose producer says in datasheet, its can also 503.01.

Last edited:
The difference isn't the viscosity, it's the additive/blend difference between 502s and 504s. 504s are low-SAPS/long-service interval oils and 502s are full-SAPS oils. If you aren't pushing it and are happy that gas is low-SAPS (which I believe all gas in the U.S. is supposed to be now) shouldn't matter.

Yep! However, it isn't readily available yet. I do think the 508/509 oils will become more available but, they will start showing up online before they are on the shelves of your favorite stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back