Recent Windows update issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
From event viewer - Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

How to fix??

Figured as much, sounds like the profile is corrupt. Go into Control Panel, make a new local user account. Reboot. Login as the new user. Copy all your data from your old profile directory (docs, pics, music....etc) to your new one. You'll have to re-sign in to Office I imagine. Typically, once a profile is baffed, you are far better served starting with a new one then trying to repair it, as when they get buggered up, they are very difficult to repair properly.

"From event viewer - Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile."

I just had this happen an hour ago. Just reboot.

Last edited:
I talked to MS support and they were helpful and acknowledged there were some problems with the latest update.

They had me disable ESET and Malwarebytes and then reboot and I was back to proper local profile. Then enable both and still on proper local profile.

She said something about the latest update not syncing properly with the antivirus running.

MS is between a rock and hard place. They want to get security updates out quickly to fix defects and also want to take the time to fully test each update. Difficult to do both.

I talked to MS support and they were helpful and acknowledged there were some problems with the latest update.

They had me disable ESET and Malwarebytes and then reboot and I was back to proper local profile. Then enable both and still on proper local profile.

She said something about the latest update not syncing properly with the antivirus running.

MS is between a rock and hard place. They want to get security updates out quickly to fix defects and also want to take the time to fully test each update. Difficult to do both.

You are quite lucky it didn't completely hose the profile, that's been an issue with Windows as far back as I can remember. Typically I don't advise the use of two Real Time scanners at once, as I assume you are running MWB premium?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
You are quite lucky it didn't completely hose the profile, that's been an issue with Windows as far back as I can remember. Typically I don't advise the use of two Real Time scanners at once, as I assume you are running MWB premium?

Would it be OK to disable any real time anti-virus/anti-malware programs right before installing Windows updates? Then turn them back on after the updates are installed.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Would it be OK to disable any real time anti-virus/anti-malware programs before installing Windows updates? Then turn them back on after the updates are installed.

Yep, that would not pose any sort of issue. There have been programs and program updates that have, historically, mandated that. Whether that mandate was followed by the end user? Well, that's a whole other story.

I am lucky enough to have MWB Premium for life. I am 66.

I am lucky enough to have MWB Premium for life. I am 66.

thumbsup2.gif

BTW, had 10 hose a profile on one of my users like two days after my last reply. Out of the blue, only thing they had done was subscribe to a sharepoint site through OneDrive. The profile was unrecoverable
lol.gif
PXE boot, fresh install of 10 pro, copy their stuff back, and good to go, but I thought it amusing how it happened so shortly after our discussion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back