Do you use gas brand exclusively ?

I use Kroger because of their discount from points gained from buying groceries there, usually I get at least 30 cents off a gallon, by far the cheapest in town.

I have used Exxon for over 20 years. I have ran Circle K, Murphy as well as others but Exxon always seems to win so I got Exxon card to save.

You will all love this. I prefer to get my fuel at QT because the station near me is one of the very few in my area selling E15.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm not sure if most people on this thread realize it, but gas in one area pretty much all comes from the same source. So the only difference between gas stations is the additive package. So brand loyalty doesn't really matter, that's just being hooked by the brand.

Remember, this is the same crowd that critiques the composition or additives used in engine oil or folks that believe, with no proof at all, that anything other than "Top Tier" fuel will cause your engine to fail "soon". I'll use gas from Kroger because of the points we have that reduce the per-gallon price. I'll use Murphys (a la Walmart gas) because it's next door to a Speedway and Speedway is notorious for raising prices 30 cents, 50 cents, even 60 cents in a single jump while this Murphys holds their lower price for a day or two. I wanted to use Shell more often after I installed their phone app thinking I'd save a little bit every time but then it looks like I need a 2nd app, Fuel Rewards, but that still didn't work. Looks like I have to use a Shell credit card or something. Then again, I don't care at this point as it's not worth that hassle.

I roll my eyes over this Top Tier marketing gimmick. I checked multiple stations around this area that are on "the list" but otherwise have no physical indications that they actually follow the TT rules (i.e. sticker on pump).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Remember, this is the same crowd that critiques the composition or additives used in engine oil or folks that believe, with no proof at all, that anything other than "Top Tier" fuel will cause your engine to fail "soon".

I also use the cheap gas. According to the crowd, I better start looking for a new vehicle as mine is a time bomb ready to fail at anytime!

I use BP exclusively in my 300, only because it's the easiest to get into and out of and it's on my way home from work. If it wasn't, I'd just run whatever like I do in the van.

I'm not sure if most people on this thread realize it, but gas in one area pretty much all comes from the same source. So the only difference between gas stations is the additive package. So brand loyalty doesn't really matter, that's just being hooked by the brand.

Remember, this is the same crowd that critiques the composition or additives used in engine oil or folks that believe, with no proof at all, that anything other than "Top Tier" fuel will cause your engine to fail "soon". I'll use gas from Kroger because of the points we have that reduce the per-gallon price. I'll use Murphys (a la Walmart gas) because it's next door to a Speedway and Speedway is notorious for raising prices 30 cents, 50 cents, even 60 cents in a single jump while this Murphys holds their lower price for a day or two. I wanted to use Shell more often after I installed their phone app thinking I'd save a little bit every time but then it looks like I need a 2nd app, Fuel Rewards, but that still didn't work. Looks like I have to use a Shell credit card or something. Then again, I don't care at this point as it's not worth that hassle.

I roll my eyes over this Top Tier marketing gimmick. I checked multiple stations around this area that are on "the list" but otherwise have no physical indications that they actually follow the TT rules (i.e. sticker on pump).

What I've noticed is that whenever there's some cheap gas program, it's cheap initially, then it's no longer cheap. Used to go to Stop and Shop, they offered 10 cents off a gallon so it was somewhat decent for a while as after the 10 cents, it was a few cents cheaper than the cheapest station. But then their prices started creeping up and you had to spend at least $100 to get the 10 cents off per gallon so it wasn't worth it to make sure you shopped there all the time. There are BJs and Costco gas stations near me where they usually have pretty good prices plus a few indys that I think might be fronts for money laundering that always seems to have low prices but are cash only. There's also Cumberland Farms, same deal, the member price used to be cheap as it was an extra 10 cents off the pump price, but now they're not always competitive. They give you a free drink of some type every few weeks so sometimes I just stop by for the free drink and not even get any gas.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Remember, this is the same crowd that critiques the composition or additives used in engine oil or folks that believe, with no proof at all, that anything other than "Top Tier" fuel will cause your engine to fail "soon".

I also use the cheap gas. According to the crowd, I better start looking for a new vehicle as mine is a time bomb ready to fail at anytime!

I don't think people think that. I think they think they're babying their car and it will last long. But it's just a hunk of metal put together in a certain way. No real evidence that says your car will run longer if you use top tier gas. It's all good marketing. Yeah, it might be good if you have a problem, but if you don't, it's a waste of money. When the car breaks, it's never because of the gas.

Roll your eyes all you want....

There is a huge difference between top tier gas and welfare food stamp gas in terms of additives...

Shell and Exxon and BP lead the pack... By a wide margin over Speedway and Pilot....

full-37575-1413-screenshot_2016_08_19_17_28_14.png

smirk2.gif

Now, with that out of the way … knowing how and why a TT program was formed is just not going to matter to some here.
Rock on, but I get TT for the same price as no name, makes sense to me

Last edited:
The Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has used Chevron exclusively from day one.

The Sportage mostly uses Marathon,Texaco, and Chevron. But it's had a few fills of Race Trac too.

Yes, there's one Texaco near my commute.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
smirk2.gif

Now, with that out of the way … knowing how and why a TT program was formed is just not going to matter to some here.
Rock on, but I get TT for the same price as no name, makes sense to me

4wd...

You are a World Champion
lol.gif

I don't care what anyone else buys... But there is a difference in things at times. And a big one in this circumstance. It is measurable has well.

Originally Posted by bbhero

There is a huge difference between top tier gas and welfare food stamp gas in terms of additives...

Shell and Exxon and BP lead the pack... By a wide margin over Speedway and Pilot....

Hmmmm, Marathon, CITGO, and Mobil are supposedly "Top Tier" yet Speedway rates higher than two of those and equal to one.

I do get Shell fuel. There's no Exxon stations around here. Why doesn't Exxon market "Top Tier" on their website ? BP stations around here are almost all quickie-marts that happen to sell fuel too.

The fact is Citgo and Marathon finally increased their additives to make them top tier...

That chart is several years old... Though it clearly illustrates a big difference at that time between Speedway, Pilot and Citgo vs Shell Exxon and BP..

Nothing wrong with either Citgo or Marathon... I have run both in the last year.

The Exxons near me has the top tier logos on their pumps... has does all the Citgo stations near me.

I have no idea what ExxonMobil does or doesn't do in regards to certain circumstances.... Mobil 1 Annual Protection being a great example... Though coincidentally Mobil 1 EP sold really well after bringing in AP... Maybe that was the goal after all
lol.gif

Last edited:
What I've noticed is that whenever there's some cheap gas program, it's cheap initially, then it's no longer cheap. Used to go to Stop and Shop, they offered 10 cents off a gallon so it was somewhat decent for a while as after the 10 cents, it was a few cents cheaper than the cheapest station. But then their prices started creeping up and you had to spend at least $100 to get the 10 cents off per gallon so it wasn't worth it to make sure you shopped there all the time.
Are you referring to when I mentioned "Kroger" ? Never heard of them ? They're the largest grocery store chain in the US....
grin.gif
It's easy for us to spend a few hundred dollars there each month plus we get our prescriptions from there too. We normally get $0.30-0.40 off per gallon and often enough get $0.60 off per gallon. One time, and one time only I think, we've gotten $1.00 per gallon.

There are BJs and Costco gas stations near me where they usually have pretty good prices
There's a Costco but it's too far for me to use for fuel plus we don't have a membership there. We occasionally have a Sam's Club membership but even now it's expired and we have no need to re-up. They are normally $0.30-0.50 cheaper per gallon than everyone else and there are (3) locations.

Nothing wrong with either Citgo or Marathon... I have run both in the last year.

The Exxons near me has the top tier logos on their pumps... has does all the Citgo stations near me.

I checked a half dozen Marathon stations around here and not a single one labels Top Tier on their pumps. I checked a handful of Sunoco stations and no labels there either. Marathons and Sunocos around here are franchises and the majority of them are shady looking, not well kept in appearance, have changed 'brands' over time, older pumps, etc. Nearest CITGO stations are 84 miles and farther from here.

It's just not worth it to me and from what I've seen in many cases, I question how legit it is. This Top Tier 'group' has rules and I see multiple instances where they're not followed. If you think it's better, so be it.

Yeah the Citgo stations are surprisingly good about the top tier stickers on their pumps... Even a family run station in poo donk Charles City county has the stickers prominent on their pumps...

Vaiero stations have them too...

Sunoco around me don't have them...

The Marathon station I went to in Amherst did not have the top tier logos on their pumps either... I still got $30 worth of gas there... Figured it was legitimate top tier.

I do agree that places that look like they are not well kept... Are not places I would buy any gas from either... Some stations are really good about that at times. A station/convenience store near Richmond called Dash In is really nice man... Like really nice... A flat top cooking grill in there... Nice wine section and craft beer section... That is a really nice gas station... It's near Rte 288 off Rte 360 in Chesterfield county. And that food being cooked in that flattop smelled darn good at the time
smile.gif

Now that you've established that they have more additives, you now have to show that more additives are good for the car.

The EPA mandates a minimum amount of additives to keep injectors clean. If everyone going to the cheap stations got clogged injectors, you'd see them being replaced/cleaned a lot more frequently. Never did that to any of my fuel injectors.

Back