Recommend Costco tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to replace 2 but am leaning toward purchasing whole set from Costco this week as they are running one of their specials.

Which Michelin tire do you like and wasn't there one Michelin model sold by Costco known to have a very small thread depth aka. pre-shaven tire which would logically wear off faster than normal depth ?

In the deep south I value most quiet highway handling and safety during heavy rainfalls.

As to date codes on the tires, am assuming anything with a WWYY in the pattern of xx19 would be Ok ?

Does Costco hand torque aluminum wheels so I can safely trust they will not exceed 80 ft-lbs (..or bring my own digital torque wrench and verify) ?

Anything else I am missing but should know ?

You should read up on the tires on TireRack and then buy from Costco if cheaper.

Most places will partially tighten with impact and finish with torque wrench. Or use torque bars. But they will torque to the spec their computer lists.

What tire size do you need?
smile.gif

Costco does not shave their tires. They do sell some club only tires that are identical and I mean identical, to another Michelin tire. For example Michelin X LT tire from Sam's Club is the Michelin Defender LTX. The X TOUR A/S T+H from Costco is the same as the Defender T+H.

They will also sell both the familiar model Michelin tire in the same club as the "club brand" tire the only difference is the price. Either way the tread depth is the same and the tread pattern the same, they are identical tires except the model name printed on the sidewall.

The Michelin Latitude tires have less tread depth maybe that is what you are referring to but it is no different at Costco

You need to check for tire availability.

Right now, my nearest Costco has no Michelin tires that fit your Ridgeline in stock. The Michelin deal is good until 1 Oct, and it takes 5-10 days for a special order to show up. When I used Costco for tires, they hand torqued all lug nuts, and they recommended that you return for a re-torque in about 50 miles. My serivce was generally good but the waits for free balance and rotate could be long.

For the Ridgeline, stick with the Defender LTX although Honda switched over to Bridgestone Dueler HL400s on the 2nd gen trucks.

You're talking about the Michelin Premier series that has less tread depth(8.5/32") but makes up for it with a sunflower oil enriched silica compound and much more siping, with some of those being keyhole sipes that get bigger as the tire wears. It's a good tire but not my choice if you plan on though light snow. Michelin designed that tire for the American market and targeted the Accord/Camry for the Premier A/S, while the Lexus RX was the development target for the Premier LTX.

The last time I wanted Michelin tires for my car I shopped around and found Costco was the cheapest. This included Tire Rack and Discount Tire.

Had I decided to do my own mounting and balancing with Tire Rack, I would have only saved $20 from the Costco out-the-door price. Not worth it.

Not only that, but Costco does lifetime balance and rotation plus 5 year road hazard. Usually when I get a vibration, I get them balanced. If you have to pay for it, it's probably going to be more than $20 to balance 4 tires. It's worth it just for the road hazard. And as luck would have it, I had a couple of flats previous with Michelin's that came with the car and then Pirelli, but since I got the latest set of Michelins two years ago, no flats so haven't been able to take advantage of their road hazard. Which is good. When they run their $70 off and 1 cent installation, no one can touch them on the price. Now they just do $40 off instead of 1 cent installation.

Thank you for all replies.

If I am NOT a member after next year, do they still honor the .
...Costco does lifetime balance and rotation plus 5 year road hazard ..
.... ie. does the purchase date override membership expiration date ?

Costco sells high end tires (Michelin) and budget tires (BF Goodrich) with prices that are hard to beat. If you want something in particular, you'll have to go elsewhere.

For example, my summer car used to get Michelin summer sport tires. But now I have to compromise and get the Michelin touring tires.

I usually just get a 3 year alignment warranty at Goodyear. Firestone, NTB and a few other places also offer some type of alignment warranty.

Originally Posted by henni
Thank you for all replies.

If I am NOT a member after next year, do they still honor the .
...Costco does lifetime balance and rotation plus 5 year road hazard ..
.... ie. does the purchase date override membership expiration date ?

When I bought a car battery, I had to renew my expired membership before they would honor the warranty.

Yeah, they always require a membership card to do any work. I suppose if you're really cheap, you can always sign up and then cancel to get your money back on the last day. Then repeat next time you need to bring it back in. They offer a full refund at any time on your membership.

Originally Posted by Spartanfool
When I bought a car battery, I had to renew my expired membership before they would honor the warranty.

Weird. I returned a Costco-purchased battery with no membership and it was no problem. They refunded to a gift card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back