Hyundai sonata 2.4l burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should i adjust the weight of oil in the sonata, its been burning 2 quarts in between ocis. I was think about using M1 10w30 HM with Lucas high mileage additive. guys i need some help on this one i appreciate the feedback. The vehicle has 129,xxx miles on it.

Much appreciated Grambo

What's your current OCI? 5k? 10k? Knowing this helps us to get an idea of how serious the burn off is.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but - high oil consumption is a sign of the Hyundai engine failure issue.

My Sonata (signature) burns up to 1 qrt per severe service (3,750 miles) OCI using synthetic D1 / Gen 2 rated 5W30 (i.e. bumped up a grade from oil cap stamp 5W20 ;10W30 and 5W30 also allowed for the 2.4L GDI by Hyundai / Kia) . From what I read it's just an "undocumented feature" that Hyundai / Kia offer buyers of the 2.4L GDI engine ... *If I were you I would visit a Hyundai dealer and start the documentation process towards a new engine .

How about running some slow cleaners with regular oil? like 1 quart MMO or TCW3 added to the rest of 3-4 quarts of regular oil?

Since they are a 0w20-0W10, I would monitor oil consumption at every gas fill-up.

Also there is , drop current oil and filter, add cheap oil filter, add oil cleaner + cheap oil, run at IDLE (DO NOT DRIVE!) for 20 minutes, drop filter and oil and use a good filter and an oil with cleaning properties.

extreme approach: drop current oil, fill to the brim with kerosene. DO NOT DRIVE!!! leave over a weekend, drop kerosene and old filter, leave for 2 hours to make sure everything drained. Add cheap oil and filter, run at idle for 20-30 minutes. drop cheap oil and filter. use good filter and an oil with good cleaning properties.

Unless mechanical problems are the cause, you should be goo to go.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
My Sonata (signature) burns up to 1 qrt per severe service (3,750 miles) OCI using synthetic D1 / Gen 2 rated 5W30 (i.e. bumped up a grade from oil cap stamp 5W20 ;10W30 and 5W30 also allowed for the 2.4L GDI by Hyundai / Kia) . From what I read it's just an "undocumented feature" that Hyundai / Kia offer buyers of the 2.4L GDI engine ... *If I were you I would visit a Hyundai dealer and start the documentation process towards a new engine .

My Kia hasn't burned a drop within 6k miles OCI

Smoke from turbo bearing or ???

I would get that ACEA 5w40 out of there before you kill the cat and TF lambda sensor!

Wonder if rings are varnished. The VW dealer put in an oil that seem different and worse that the factory oil in my turbo VW and the engine now vibrates due to likely poor cylinder balance - which can be typically due to varnished Hot stuck rings.

My 2010 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 burns no oil between oil changes and I do 15,000 mile oil change interval. The oil is Castrol Edge EP. Oil filter is the Wix 51334.

I think the non-turbo Hyundai non-GDI engines are a lot more reliable.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Smoke from turbo bearing or ???

I would get that ACEA 5w40 out of there before you kill the cat and TF lambda sensor!

Wonder if rings are varnished. The VW dealer put in an oil that seem different and worse that the factory oil in my turbo VW and the engine now vibrates due to likely poor cylinder balance - which can be typically due to varnished Hot stuck rings.

FWIW - 2.4 is not a turbo engine

a 5 or 10 W-30 is ok per your owners manual + higher consumption of watery 20W's is common. girlfriends 13 malbu 2.5 drank spec 20 but 10-30 was much better but by 62 thou a qt on a thou + it was GONE!!!

Check the PCV and plugs first. Beyond that, Mobil1 10W30 would be my choice.

I would also get it checked our if losing 2qts per 5K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by knerml
I don't want to be an alarmist, but - high oil consumption is a sign of the Hyundai engine failure issue.

What's the failure mode? (my SIL has one of these so I'm interested in what to look for)

If you are the original owner and it's under 100,000 miles, take it to your KIA dealership. Have them check it out.

Originally Posted by MParr
If you are the original owner and it's under 100,000 miles, take it to your KIA dealership. Have them check it out.

Hi MParr, he mentioned 129,XXX miles.

Change plugs pcv valve clean throttle body use top tier fuel 89 octane and Valvoline 5w30 Syn power HM . Hopefully that will help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back