Adding TCW3 to Gas Tank?

Is it a good idea to add a very small dose of TCW3 to a motorcycle gas tank with carburetor?

Would it help in any kind of cleaning, as well as lubrication of gaskets in the carbs?

Thanks for the help
thumbsup2.gif

folks that use it as an UCL in their cars (I do occasionally) normally do so at a 640:1 ratio...(1 oz tcw3 to 5 gal gasoline.)

I use the 640:1 and stabil for off season storage of ope. When i had a small motorcycle i used it in that for storage. Seems to keep the needle seats from sticking.

Originally Posted by Silk
Why not FD ? Why TCW3 ?

Well theres Havoline - A general purpose oil for air and water cooled 2-cycle engines. Protects engines against wear and rust in motorcycles, outboard engines, lawn mowers, scooters, golf carts, chain saws, and other two-stroke powered equipment

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/havoline-2-cycle-engine-oil.html

Personally i would look to Redline Si-1
Cleans injectors, carburetors, valve and combustion chamber deposits with a concentrated blend of the most powerful high-temp and low-temp detergents available
Cleans all forms of fuel injectors, including GDI
Enhances fuel stability; reduces gum and varnish formation
Use one bottle per tank for most effective treatment, cleans to nearly 100% efficiency in one treatment
Reduces need for octane by up to two points
Contains synthetic upper cylinder lubricant

Most outboards that TCw3 is intended for run with water jacket temp of 140 to 160.

Becasue of the higer temperatures, I would use an air cooled oil in a car or on a motorcycle. They are available in quarts pretty reasonable.

I have also used and had good results with Marvel Mystery Oil.

Rod

Last edited:
Isn't TCw3 a better option in regards to a safer ester base and no metallics in the oil since the exhaust of most outboards go into the water.?

Might help with intake valve lube, but no cleaning action.
As my experience with 2 cycle engines is they seem to survive winter storage
and still start. I wonder IF there is some thin film of oil in/on jets that make them less
likely to clog over a four month of inactivity.
Obviously Stabl treatment would be the better idea.

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Did I read somewhere that 2-cycle oil has stabilizer in it ? ...

I have seen the with stabilizer on the small bottles of chain saw mix oil

tcw3 was invented to help with rings sticking in the piston due to carbon buildup

640:1 is not a bad ratio

you could go more

but on a vehicle that has to pass smog checks...it could give odd readings as it passes through the cats

I've been dosing TCW3 at 1;640 in my motorcycle for 10 years. I see two tangible benefits;

There is a very slow cleaning effect in the combustion chambers as it has visibly reduced carbon build up on the piston tops.

It eliminates mild pinging when the engine is run on 95 Ron instead of 98. this is not a widely claimed benefit but I have seen others report the same effect.

The less tangible benefits that I have no evidence to support are, it acts like a fuel stabiliser and the trace lubrication of the carb slide and needle should reduce long term wear.

Chevron in my gas tanks and no problem starting and running well come spring.

Is that Chevron gas e10 or 100% gas?

I ran TCW3 in my ZRX1200 for a number of years. Pulled the head to install pistons, and the backside of the intake valves were just thick with carbon deposit buildup. I will be honest and say that I am guilty of the "if a little is good a little more can't hurt" philosophy and I'm sure I had too much going through it and it accumulated.

After cleaning everything up and running it for two years with the new pistons, I can look at the back of the intake valves when I have the carbs off and they are clean. I put one ounce in about every other tank, 5 gallon tank.

Originally Posted by Bonz
Is that Chevron gas e10 or 100% gas?

I ran TCW3 in my ZRX1200 for a number of years. Pulled the head to install pistons, and the backside of the intake valves were just thick with carbon deposit buildup. I will be honest and say that I am guilty of the "if a little is good a little more can't hurt" philosophy and I'm sure I had too much going through it and it accumulated.

After cleaning everything up and running it for two years with the new pistons, I can look at the back of the intake valves when I have the carbs off and they are clean. I put one ounce in about every other tank, 5 gallon tank.

10 percent ethanol.

Back