2018 VW Atlas 3.6 4 Motion Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good buddy of mine is looking for a safe late model larger SUV for about $24-30k and really liked the upper trim Atlas, he can get a 1 owner example with under 25,0000 miles in his price range. On paper it looks good, iron block NA v6 with an AISIN transmission. Any info on the reliability of the platform? I'm not really knowledgeable in German stuff. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Anything that might go wrong this early in the vehicles life should still be under warranty. Consumer Reports & other sights may show some specific issues with the Atlas but overall longevity is still an unknown.

From my understanding, the Atlas is very family friendly in regards to child seat install/removal and easy rear seat access without having to contortion your body as much as in others in its segment. This is mainly due to a longer wheelbase, allowing for more rear seat room and rear doors that open very wide, almost 90 deg's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBKIK5PZ42w

Last edited:
The reliability is unknown as too new of model as its first year ever. Huge pro's it has a 6yr/72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for 2018/2019 only so it will be under factory warranty. Another massive pro I rode in third row for over 3 hrs on a ski trip and was very comfortable.

It is actually designed to be comfortable in every row for an adult a very rare thing. Most try and jamb three kids in 3rd row but VW built it for 2 full grown adults.

Sheer guess VW had teething issues first year which they have sorted/sorting. VW typically improves their models/faults throughout the generation unlike many car makers.

As an aside, the Atlas is a lot like the Dodge Journey. It's not really good compared to most of its competitors, but it is price aggressive which means the deal quotient is pretty high.

I would opt for a used anything before I bought one.

You wont find many unbiased post on this site for anything VW. Mention Bosch and VW or MB in the same sentence if you want to see a thread turn into a real fiasco like the Arby commercial when the sprinklers went on.
lol.gif

I don't own an Atlas or have even driven one but VW cars in general are very good with good electrics and good rust protection, the V6 is a good engine.
I wouldn't worry a bit about buying one.

Originally Posted by GZRider
A good buddy of mine is looking for a safe late model larger SUV for about $24-30k and really liked the upper trim Atlas, he can get a 1 owner example with under 25,0000 miles in his price range. On paper it looks good, iron block NA v6 with an AISIN transmission. Any info on the reliability of the platform? I'm not really knowledgeable in German stuff. Thanks in advance.

Does the engine have timing chain?

Originally Posted by Trav
You wont find many unbiased post on this site for anything VW. Mention Bosch and VW or MB in the same sentence if you want to see a thread turn into a real fiasco like the Arby commercial when the sprinklers went on.
lol.gif

I don't own an Atlas or have even driven one but VW cars in general are very good with good electrics and good rust protection, the V6 is a good engine.

I would agree with the advice above. At work we have a fleet of MB vans and they are just as reliable if not more so than our GM vans.

Customer service at our servicing MB dealer is top notch and on a cost per mile basis the sprinters are the same cost to run as our GM units while providing better workflow due to much more space in the cargo area.

My views on MB have changed much to the positive in the last few years.

OP, I see no issue in buying a low mileage VW suv. Maintain it well and it will likely provide you with a good service life.

Dashboard Light rates Volkswagen brand at 10 points out of 100 points for reliability.

Volkswagen Routan reliability score 0. Chronic Reliability Issues.

Volkswagen Tiguan Reliability score 17. Well Below Average.

Originally Posted by wdn
Dashboard Light rates Volkswagen brand at 10 points out of 100 points for reliability.

Volkswagen Routan reliability score 0. Chronic Reliability Issues.

Volkswagen Tiguan Reliability score 17. Well Below Average.

Funny, because the Routan is a Chrysler.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Does the engine have timing chain?

Yes, same as every VR6 since the first VR6.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
If it doesn't have a Toyota or Honda badge, it can safely be deemed unreliable. Every internet expert knows this.

Why even post this?

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by Trav
lol.gif

I would agree with the advice above. At work we have a fleet of MB vans and they are just as reliable if not more so than our GM vans.

Customer service at our servicing MB dealer is top notch and on a cost per mile basis the sprinters are the same cost to run as our GM units while providing better workflow due to much more space in the cargo area.

My views on MB have changed much to the positive in the last few years.

OP, I see no issue in buying a low mileage VW suv. Maintain it well and it will likely provide you with a good service life.

MB makes very good diesel engines

If it doesn't have a Toyota or Honda badge, it can safely be deemed unreliable. Every internet expert knows this.

Why even post this?

Because it's pretty spot on.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Why even post this?

Because it's pretty spot on.

Why?

Appreciate the advice from all, I've already mentioned he should purchase the manufacture extended bumper to bumper warranty out to 100k miles (or whatever he plans on keeping it) and he's gonna do that if he goes the VW route. That should cover him with any sensors or electrical issues and loaner cars too. Dashboardlight has it's place and is good for picking a low cost beater but a better site for newer vehicles is something like Truedelta. Ultimately his decision, you gotta like what you drive or you will just sell it (at a loss) for something you do. https://www.truedelta.com/2018-Volkswagen-Atlas/problem-histories-1391

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back