Thoughts and opinions on family haulers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Id finance a 4-5 year minivan with low miles instead, and not a Dodge. Unless its new and ur ditching it before 100k miles...(i know someone who has sworn by them but they ditch them before 100k) check engine lights on, interior trim falling apart...to each their own

OP'er is a mechanic, if he can get a Dodge for $5k+ cheaper than a Toyota, then that leaves a lot of money in the budget for repairs.

That's what I did with my Sonata. Saved $4k by going with it over a Camry and $6k over an Accord. Heck, even $1k compared to a crappy Cruze.

And yet at 102k miles, it's had 1 repair, a torn CV boot
21.gif

With my family of 6, it would be tough to live without a minivan. Sure a Suburban or Expedition XL would be nice, but that's way out of my price range. We've had 4 different makes of MVs over the past 17yrs.

Minivan is best choice likely a caravan for price point. Caravan does tend to fall apart around 150k around family experiences(6) but deliver before then well for price point USED.

All minivans depreciate hard esp so do not consider new at all. Especially how you are already upside down.

Save up and hopefully can find decent one in recent generation.

Congrats! Seems like you have months to sell the Dart starting now and look for a replacement carefully.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Will you actually be driving all 6 of you around at the same time?

Huh...are you actually suggesting he could get away with a sedan if he'd just be willing to leave one or more of the kids behind on outings 🤔

Last edited:
Id finance a 4-5 year minivan with low miles instead, and not a Dodge. Unless its new and ur ditching it before 100k miles...(i know someone who has sworn by them but they ditch them before 100k) check engine lights on, interior trim falling apart...to each their own

OP'er is a mechanic, if he can get a Dodge for $5k+ cheaper than a Toyota, then that leaves a lot of money in the budget for repairs.

That's what I did with my Sonata. Saved $4k by going with it over a Camry and $6k over an Accord. Heck, even $1k compared to a crappy Cruze.

21.gif

I agree, a former mechanic should be able to easily deal with whatever Dodge(y) issues it may (or may not) have.

And congrads to the OP.

First, OP, CONGRATS!!!

Second, YUP, you need a minivan.

RE: DART. I would go to the nearest carmax and have a quote on what they would give you for it. Usually would be more than local dealers, since they will marked up $4k-6K for sale. The process length would be 1.5-2 hours.

For the rest, you need to go to minivan heaven.
Chrysler either, VW Routan (Caravan with a VW badge), Caravan or Pacifica.
There was a very specific Dodge caravan America's Value model that sold with some base options for very good prices brand new (2015-2017? if memory does not go cuckoo)
I remember you had some back problems, so pick the kids car seat and go check the ones with regular/captain chairs or the ones that chairs hide in the floors. (I understand some say less comfortable on long trips, but lots of space for projects)

Please go with the models with HD braking system. And budget tires at 30-35-40 k miles.
Don't forget to test AC/heat performance, especially the back seats.
I would not care for the DVD options, since tablets are cheap these days.

I recommend Toyota Sienna only if you need AWD.

But for the money and ease of finding parts and cost of repairing, Chrysler/Dodge beats everybody.

Oh..., and I'm not proud, but a loaded with boxes to the gills '08 Chysler limited did not reach (cough cough) speeds more than posted speed with a punchy growl... It was my evil twin brother.

Congratulations on the new addition.

IMO you need something that can be depended upon. Being able to fix it is not the issue, stranding your fiancé/wife and children is the issue. So you need something new or nearly new, minivan or 3 row SUV/Wagon and it needs to suffice for a long time.

I'd get out of the Dart, buy something new at a good deal and roll the negative equity into it if you have to, but you have to get a good deal, you have to buy something you'll keep (and will remain dependable) after payoff so you never have to do that again and it needs GAP on it in case someone takes it out.

Originally Posted by supton

21.gif

I agree, a former mechanic should be able to easily deal with whatever Dodge(y) issues it may (or may not) have.

And congrads to the OP.

I wouldn't. The last thing I would want is for my family to be stuck on the side of the road

greenjp is wise. A truck does not help you. Plus, according to your sig, you already have one
grin2.gif
. Even the many SUVs that offer "third rows" are of little use. Getting in/out of the third row can be difficult, wrestling a small child into the same would be worse. (I'm thinking back to when my parents owned a two-door Cavalier with two toddlers.) Proximity of the third row to the tailgate in those smaller vehicles makes me nervous, although there really isn't much crash data to support or refute that position either way.

I love our van.

Originally Posted by Pew

21.gif

And congrads to the OP.

I wouldn't. The last thing I would want is for my family to be stuck on the side of the road

Sure--so he should buy new, and then replace every 3 to 5 years, so as to avoid any possibility of failure? Is there no happy medium?

Sure--so he should buy new, and then replace every 3 to 5 years, so as to avoid any possibility of failure? Is there no happy medium?

Nope, they can only parrot what they've read online. It's always "my ex's cousins best friends' uncles 5th ex wife had nothing but problems!" Never mind the fact that anybody who says they actually have one they like and has no issues, they're the exception not the rule.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

I'm talking about buying a Sienna Or Odyssey over a Grand Caravan even if the Grand Caravan is $5K cheaper, assuming everything else is the same/similar.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by Pew

I'm talking about buying a Sienna Or Odyssey over a Grand Caravan even if the Grand Caravan is $5K cheaper, assuming everything else is the same/similar.

When was the last time you saw a Grand Caravan stranded on the side of the road? I have not seen one, like ever.

Sienna, Odyssey and Grand Caravan/Town & Country are pretty much on par as far as problems go.

But people assume Sienna will automatically inherit Corolla reliability and Odyssey Accord reliability. But nothing could be further from the truth.

Another vote for minivan. Any doubts or hesitation you may have about driving a dorky family-mobile will vanish the moment you load the whole family up quickly and easily, and everyone is cruising in comfort with plenty of room. It's like that feeling you get when you buy a new tool that makes fixing stuff 100 times easier and you think to yourself, "Wow, this makes my life so much easier; I don't know how I ever lived without this!" I was never a fan of minivans until I bought one. Now I love them.

I bought a Sienna only because I wanted AWD, and Sienna is the only AWD minivan made within the last 15 years. I would've considered a Caravan or Odyssey or other van if I just wanted FWD. I've been super happy with my Sienna though. I bought it used earlier this year with 132k miles and put about 4k miles on it so far. Runs fantastic, no problems with it. Accelerates and handles well, rides super smooth, luxurious and comfortable interior.

I'd go with a Grand Caravan. With the 3.6 that thing is fun to drive. Add a supercharger kit for the Wrangler 3.6 and you have a race van.
lol.gif

I have to vote minivan as well. Have been using a 2003 Expedition as the family truckster since 2008. Just picked up a 2018 Grand Caravan and I literally can't believe how much more usable space there is. Comfort, economy, power, features, everything is better. Highly recommend.

You've already got a truck.

Get a minivan.

Hands down the most space, best capacity and features for a family. Decent MPG. Reasonable purchase price. I've owned a minivan (Chrysler T&C) and many SUVs.

The minivan will do everything an SUV could do, at lower cost, with more room, better handling, better MPG than an SUV.

Need to tow? Use the Ram. Four wheeling? Borrow a Jeep.

For everything else, the minivan wins. Don't be a fool and buy something, like a big SUV, that you "feel better" about. The minivan suits your needs better and costs less.

Originally Posted by Astro14
You've already got a truck.

Get a minivan.

Hands down the most space, best capacity and features for a family. Decent MPG. Reasonable purchase price. I've owned a minivan (Chrysler T&C) and many SUVs.

The minivan will do everything an SUV could do, at lower cost, with more room, better handling, better MPG than an SUV.

Need to tow? Use the Ram. Four wheeling? Borrow a Jeep.

For everything else, the minivan wins. Don't be a fool and buy something, like a big SUV, that you "feel better" about. The minivan suits your needs better and costs less.

I traded in my SUV for the Sedona. My (now ex) wife had trouble getting the car seat with baby in/out of it. The dual sliding doors makes getting in and out a breeze. At times I do miss not having the AWD but it's also nice having the storage in my long wheel base van. If I were to take out the 2nd row Capt seats and stow the 3rd row bench, there's an incredible amount of space back there. From a practicality stand point, a minivan is hard to beat. The only thing I wish I didn't do was spend the money on the DVD entertainment system for the rear...it was nice when the kids were younger but as teens it never gets used now... they're on their phones these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back