Brake discs/pads replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton
I would have just hit with a hammer and reused. That braking surface looks mint to me.

Frugal as I am, I contemplated just installing new pads and getting another year or two out of these rotors. Frugality should not over-ride safety to save less than $40. This is my daily driver that my wife puts most of the miles on. My O.E. pads had to be replaced. The new EBC pads hit nearly 100% of the of the braking surface area, so either I would have a very long and poor bed in, or I would have had to machine the inner and outer ridges off.

Originally Posted by parshisa
is it absolutely necessary to use new pads when installing new rotors?

Not always. Like The Critic said, you can sand the pads down. I never had to do them, it's an old mechanic's trick. If possible, use garnet sandpaper and a perfectly flat surface like a piece of marble or granite to "lap" the pad. Most sandpaper uses aluminum oxide as the abrasive, there is a risk of embedding Al particles and contaminating the friction. But I'm sure most friction has aluminum powder as a component.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Although my mechanic still suggests on the rotors/pads to be replaced due to rust..not sure

Although my mechanic still suggests on the rotors/pads to be replaced due to rust..
Surprise, surprise. Based on what you've shown in the pictures, he's replacing perfectly good pads and rotors .... but do what you want.

Well, brakes certainly needed a good service - pads on the rear left side were stuck and uneven wear on the pads as a result. Overall, tons of rust on the calipers that was removed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Well, brakes certainly needed a good service - pads on the rear left side were stuck and uneven wear on the pads as a result. Overall, tons of rust on the calipers that was removed.

Did the OEM pads get replaced with new ones? If so, what kind?

Nope, i kept them on for now, there was some meet left, i‘D say another 10k or so and i'll do a full swap - rotors and pads.

This is exactly the kind of stuff you find on low annual mileage cars. I went through this on a Subaru my wife had when we got married. Car fell into disuse and calipers would get sticky and ruin the pads. I'd have to pull everything apart, clean, lubricate and replace pads. Kinda sucks cos everything looks good through the wheel spokes but you can't see that the inside pads are smoked! Finally told wife that if we don't drive it more we'll be better off selling it. We did just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back