Can I use 10W40 gtx HM in cold winter like -5F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ! I running now Castrol GTX 10W40 HM ... and I having a very small seeping at rear main seal and around oil filter housing .. and I always have some oil drops on my parking spot.. but in the last 6 month since I start using Castrol I have a lot less oil seeping and no more oil burn off ! Castrol HM did excellent job ! Best oil I ever used
Now before winter gets in NY ... can I start use synthetic oil like 0W40 in engine? I just worried that is going to leak more ?
Cause of thin oil ! Should I try?
If not.... Will GtX HM is going to protect engine in cold winter . ??? Last winter we had -9 F. but those time I used 5w40 Genuine oil...
How well GTX HM will perform in Cold Climate? Will it worn engine in cold climate?

I believe a 10w is good to 0F, so I would say no. At your winter temps I would use a minimum 5w (which I believe is good to -25/30???)

10W40 should work for you at -5F.
That grade is tested for pumpability at -30C (-22F) and cold starting at -25C (-13F), so even if it slips a grade in service (which the standard allows per our excellent poster Shannow) you still have an oil which should be good for cranking near -5F.

The second table here is very useful for understanding the SAE oil grades for winter performance....

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/sae-viscosity-grades/

I don't see an issue running it. We ran 20w-50 in the cold winters of PA. and it wasn't a synthetic either with no issues.

At -9 F you'll be fine. Call us when you're at -30 F
smile.gif

Those are MAX values. While the 10w can "technically" be used at -5, (it performs better [optimally] at above 0°) a 5w usually has a lower starting 40c kv (starts out thinner to begin with) so it's going to reach the top of the engine faster (less strain on the pump)... (fast enough to make a diff', dunno.. that's open for discussion)..So while you can use it, does that mean you should?

Besides, i believe that GTX HiMi is a blend...I would use a full syn (less wax) if I were seeing below zero temps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Here is 10w40 at -4F vs 0w40

I'm no scientist but it looks like that 10w @ -20c (-4f) doesn't seem to want to budge... that oil pump is gonna get a workout!...

Last edited:
As long as the cranking viscosity is in the range of 6,000 to 7,000 mPaS the engine will turn over just fine. For a 10w this occurs at -25 C (-13 F).

For a 0w, it occurs at -35 C (-31 F). Since the OP sees temps down to only -9 F, there is no issue. Keep in mind he is also trying to minimize seal leakage and Castrol GTX HM does not come in a 5w40.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I am surprised that nobody ask what kind of vehicle we are talking about?
The answer is it depends, for diesel, that is probably required.

I know Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 is rated for -25. Castrol use to, maybe still does?, run on the thick side of the scale. Even with that it should be ok down to -10.

If worried try a High Millage Synthetic oil during the winter months. Maybe try 10w30 first.

Back in the days of primitive oils and carburetors, when we had winters, I stated my 454 7 year old original battery at -22F on Trop Artic 10W40. It built oil pressure in almost immediately, and sat at about 80 psi for about 5 minutes. It never lost pressure like might happen if the the oil did not run back. About the time the frost started to clear, the pressure began to fall to 60 PSI range as the oil warmed. I probably had to drive 10 miles to get normal hot pressure of 50 PSI Modern oils and engines are much better now, so I would not worry.

Rod

back in the 70's a 20-50 conventional would NOT start my oil burning 307 chevy nova in NE PA samo on my traded hardly 1200 porkster + that was Amsoil synthetic. most 10W's are prolly ok with even fake synthetic as most are surely better than conventional. anything that turns slowly in the cold is starving critical parts of lubrication!!

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of what the W rating means in this thread.
Per SAE, who did write the standard, a 10W would be fine at -5F.
Car and engine really don't matter either.
Temperature does. If you were looking at another ten or fifteen degrees colder, then a 5W or even 0W might be desirable.
At -5F, a 10W will be fine.
For the record, we used 10W-40 grades here for years even in our little 1.5 liter Civics and cold starts at temperatures well below -5F were never a problem and any positive displacement pump provides the same amount of oil without regard to its viscosity.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
As long as the cranking viscosity is in the range of 6,000 to 7,000 mPaS the engine will turn over just fine. For a 10w this occurs at -25 C (-13 F).

For a 0w, it occurs at -35 C (-31 F). Since the OP sees temps down to only -9 F, there is no issue. Keep in mind he is also trying to minimize seal leakage and Castrol GTX HM does not come in a 5w40.
smile.gif

Exactly right ^^^^^

A 10w will be fine down to -13F...

However.... A oil is allowed to slip a grade whole in service.. so a 10w can become a 15w in service. I would change the oil in say mid December so it would have fresh 10w oil in it before the coldest part of winter happens. In the mid Atlantic region this is typically mid December through mid February... In January 1985 mid month we have a severe Arctic outbreak that saw temps in my area go down to -15F... With fresh 7 inches of snow on the ground from that Sunday am to 330 pm snow storm on the ground... Clear skies and no wind... It was 0°F at 615 pm... And obviously dropped from there overnight. My dad's car was outside and he was able to get going to work... With a 10w40 in his car at the time. Coldest early I have seen was December 1989... Mid month saw several Arctic fronts push through the eastern US. And one had high temps in the low to mid 20s... The next front after that was even colder near December 22nd... With high temps in the upper teens and lows near 0F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

smile.gif

I would change the oil in say mid December so it would have fresh 10w oil in it before the coldest part of winter happens.

Or you could just change it once using a 5w. That said Snagglefoot pointed out that the OP is wanting to use a Xw40 and since GTX HiMi doesn't (can't think of any that do) come in 5w40, I guess 10w it is.

.. and while you may be comfortable running a 10w below zero, I'm not. I'd just as soon run a 5w but I also don't have the dilemma the OP has needing an x40...but that's just me, so to each his own.

Last edited:
Thank you guys .. I appreciate!
Car is Mercedes E430 01 V8 it's a M113 engine
And I have 13 years old battery

One more guys ... Can i add LiquiMoly MoS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment during winter? Do this work ? will this help in cold start up? Any experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back