Annoyed with people selling cars on Craiglist in autoparts to save $5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been really annoyed with all of the people trying to skate out of paying 5 dollars to post a car for sale in the auto parts section. I just responded to someone in a text message that had a beautiful classic car for sale in auto parts for $15000, and told him that pretty soon we will all have to pay $5 to sell a $5 auto part. Told him to list it for $14995 instead. He took it well, and responded with LOL.

Last edited:
Well, should you blame people for that? After all, it was the dealers spamming the "by owner" section that started it...

Besides, it should have been $15,005. Why should he eat $10?

It wasn't the dealers so much as the outright scammers. Craigslist was completely littered with blatant scams here, and a lot of that has gone away. They would fill the listings up with "$1500" non-existent Accords and pickups to the point that it was hard to find any real ad with a vehicle that was actually for sale.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Well, should you blame people for that? After all, it was the dealers spamming the "by owner" section that started it...

Besides, it should have been $15,005. Why should he eat $10?

Maybe so, but now auto parts and everything else will not be free, after everyone starts takes advantage of it, which is why I posted. I wouldn't even think about posting a car for sale in auto parts and look like a cheapskate, because I always hated the tons of money I spent years ago trying to sell something in the newspaper classifieds that nobody uses anymore. 5 bucks is a bargain by comparison. It's simply another example of too many people being part of the problem, instead of part of the solution.

Last edited:
Since CL started the $5 fee, I've actually seen more non-running cars that SHOULD be posted in auto parts (which remain free)! I can accept a non-running car in auto parts

Also, cars.com remains free, yet I don't see an increase in cars being posted on cars.com
crazy2.gif

If you really don't want to sell your car, then put it in "auto parts" where almost no serious buyers will see it. Makes no sense to me. Your traffic from car buyers will probably drop by 90-99%.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
If you really don't want to sell your car, then put it in "auto parts" where almost no serious buyers will see it. Makes no sense to me. Your traffic from car buyers will probably drop by 90-99%.

You get the people who just search the whole For Sale section search by brand or model. If you search "Camry" you get everything in every category.

Originally Posted by Traction
I've been really annoyed with all of the people trying to skate out of paying 5 dollars to post a car for sale in the auto parts section. I just responded to someone in a text message that had a beautiful classic car for sale in auto parts for $15000, and told him that pretty soon we will all have to pay $5 to sell a $5 auto part. Told him to list it for $14995 instead. He took it well, and responded with LOL.

Send him 50 messages a day asking how much he wants for the hood, fender, radio, water pump, etc.

I like "free" as much as the next guy. Personally, I don't think that we should have to pay to F'ing breathe, yet that seems to be the case these days.

The other side of the coin is, there are those who abuse the system, which requires moderation or oversight by those running whatever platform you're trying to use, which means expense on the part of the ownership of that platform. When I bought my 'Burb earlier this year a solid 25% of the posts were from scammers or [censored] dealers posting in the "owner" section of Craigslist. I'm now looking for a cargo trailer and it's the same deal, either scammers or [censored] dealers infesting the "owner" section.

Unfortunately, many of these sites, such as Craigslist, only have a "report post" or "flag" button, they don't allow you to state why the post is being reported. In the case of BITOG, and I'm sure I'll pay for this comment, the moderators are more concerned about language and sidestepping the language filters, than patrolling the trolls and troublemakers of the site. Being a moderator on a number of sites myself, I don't personally get it, but I don't have 10,000 posts here, so maybe I haven't earned the right to criticize?

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Your not complaining about me are you? I currently have my 1995 Lexus listed in the "antiques" section. ...‚...‚

At least you listed it in the correct category lol.

Make sure you click the Flag icon at top of Ad if the word parts car not mentioned. It notifies CL and the ads typically get pulled down.

I love doing it to stupid people who clutter CL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
It wasn't the dealers so much as the outright scammers. Craigslist was completely littered with blatant scams here, and a lot of that has gone away. They would fill the listings up with "$1500" non-existent Accords and pickups to the point that it was hard to find any real ad with a vehicle that was actually for sale.

I agree about the 'scammers'....but the For Sale 'By Owner' section was full of dealer ads.....CL should have suspended their user accounts for this blatant misrepresentation, IMO.

Just a small comment:

I think Cars.com gives free ads to private sellers ( just used the service to sell a car) to vary their offerings a bit.

In my sphere are small "localized" newspapers. One is about 13 papers which serves NE New Jersey and the other is a group of local newspapers which saturates both sides of the lower Champlain Valley.

It's amazing! Those Vermont boys will buy anything which runs. They show up with ancient plates, screw 'em on and drive away.

Can't be without either.

How / why does it annoy you ? Some things are hard to grasp how they affect people.....

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Your not complaining about me are you? I currently have my 1995 Lexus listed in the "antiques" section. ...‚...‚

Hey now! It's not an antique until next year
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
Just a small comment:

I think Cars.com gives free ads to private sellers ( just used the service to sell a car) to vary their offerings a bit.

Yes, cars.com is free
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Wow it bothers you so much that you sent them a message?

I concur click the flag at top of ad and Craigslist cleans it up or off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back