fuel system cleaner maintenance with new vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on using maintenance doses of fuse system cleaners on new vehicles? Are there any pros or cons to for using a fuel system cleaner in tank additive on new vehicles say each oil change for maintenance purposes?

I see a lot of people trying to "fix" something by using fuel system cleaners on their vehicles as they get older. What if any effect can one expect by using it from day one on a new vehicle?

If you keep on using high detergency (aka "top-tier" gas) gasoline starting from the beginning (day-1), theoretically speaking, your vehicle should stay fairly clean for many, many years to come.

I didn't start using FI cleaner (techron) until my car (1-owner) reached 6 yrs old (it's 06 fit). No perceivable difference at all...just treating this action as "preventative" maintenance.

Q.

1.5 ounces of Redline FI cleaner will act as a UCL and maint dose if added to 10 ounces of gas. With gas prices being what they are today, and the way gas stations operate [at least in my area] you really have no idea what you're getting anymore. I see nothing wrong with what you want to do. I've added MMO to gas or used it in Inverse Oilers in new vehicles since day one. This trend dates back to 1984 when I bought my first "new vehicle", and the tradition goes back to the 1970's when I started driving. Opinions vary.

I'm all-for using a detergent from the beginning....it'll help keep everything clean concisitently.

I add a bottle of Techron to my cars at every oil change. I use top tier gas, but who knows what you are getting any more. I've used it in my 2010 Silverado since I bought it new 2 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Quest
If you keep on using high detergency (aka "top-tier" gas) gasoline starting from the beginning (day-1), theoretically speaking, your vehicle should stay fairly clean for many, many years to come.

I didn't start using FI cleaner (techron) until my car (1-owner) reached 6 yrs old (it's 06 fit). No perceivable difference at all...just treating this action as "preventative" maintenance.

Q.

Does using "top tier" fuels reduce the amount of deposits? Yes.

Does using a quality fuel system cleaner, like Redline or Techron, reduce the amount of deposits? Yes.

Does using both "top tier" fuel with a added quality fuel system cleaner, reduce and/or eliminate, deposits even more? Perhaps.

The lubrication properties of Redline Si-1 is what has had me thinking about using it. I know modern fuel pumps are designed to have sufficient lubrication with unleaded fuel, but if the use of Redline's Si-1 can extend the life a bit while keeping my entire fuel system as clean as it can be, it may be something to consider. . . . . .

But back on topic. The use of quality fuel system cleaners used at a "maintenance" dose should "on paper" help to reduce the amount of deposits left behind.

Now! A question of my own.

If one uses quality "top tier" fuel with a quality fuel system cleaner all the time, do you think your fuel filter will ever need to be changed??

With all those detergents flowing through the fuel filter, one would think not much would be allowed to "build up" in there. . . . . .

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
I add a bottle of Techron to my cars at every oil change. I use top tier gas, but who knows what you are getting any more. I've used it in my 2010 Silverado since I bought it new 2 years ago.

If you go to a well known brand of gasoline, even the leading chains that provide "top tier" detergent levels you have a pretty good assurance that you are getting what they claim you are.

I find the most reliable places to get "quality" gas are very high volume leading second tier chains like Quick Trip or such that have top tier gasoline.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
But back on topic. The use of quality fuel system cleaners used at a "maintenance" dose should "on paper" help to reduce the amount of deposits left behind.
Yep...my theory is the maintenance dose will break apart, and keep apart any foreign material, carbon, desposits, etc...and, in the case of MMO, Seafoam, SL1, keep a light, oiled film over the fuel tank, the filter, and the sending unit, to STOP the formation of crud, deposits, etc..within the tank, and it's other mechanisms....

Quote:
If one uses quality "top tier" fuel with a quality fuel system cleaner all the time, do you think your fuel filter will ever need to be changed??
I'd have to hypothesyze, that YES, the fuel filter would still need to be changed out, or cleaned out over time....though perhaps not at the "typical" manufacturer recommended interval of 30k (for the Purolator, in line fuel filter I just changed out a couple months ago on my 88 Aries...). But yes, contaminants can still make their way into the tank, despite the on-site fuel tanks and fuel pumps having filters....I'm curious how often they actually clean, or change out the filters within the fuel pumps on-site at the gas stations...so yes, debris is still likely to get within the tank I'm willing to bet....dirt, dust, rust (ever see that manhole cover they have to pry up? lol) can still likely get into the on-site tanks....

Quote:
With all those detergents flowing through the fuel filter, one would think not much would be allowed to "build up" in there
Correct. the fuel filter does a job of filtering more than just the carbon, and other contaminants....bottom line, what's in the tank, is going to stay in the tank, til it's taken through the filter. Most fuel systems contain a nylon-type "strainer sock" typically on the in-tank fuel pump....I'm sure that sock does a good job of capturing some of the dirt from going to the injectors, but I think a lot of the FIC used, are generally promoted for cleaning up the carbon on the "combusion" side of things (within the injectors, etc....) and such.

I use Shell 89 99% of the time in my truck (which is top-tier) and Shell 93 in my Eclipse 99% of the time. I have access to Amsoil P.I. at little to no cost, so I was just curious. I've never had a fuel problem on any of my vehicles that I have owned except for my '89 Conquest TSi, but those were also known for leaking and failed injectors. Is it still rule of thumb to add it on the last fill up before oil change?

I remember calling Chevron and asking if a fuel system cleaner was necessary if all that was used was their gasoline. They asked if I had the car new from the lot or used. When I said I bought it used but had already run 2 bottles of their fuel cleaner and only used Chevron since, they said I would be fine in ceasing using any fuel cleaners.

I still use SI-1 just for the other benefits.

For newer cars, once or twice a year with a good in tank cleaner is very good maintenance.
Better to keep things clean, then to let them get built up and hard . Then cleaning is a bigger problem.

It depends on what you buy, and what your car can take. I use SMB, but it has methanol in it. My car can take methanol, but some cars can't take methanol. Also depends on who you buy from too. From what I have seen Gumout, Lucas, Techron, SMB, Royal Purple, and Seafoam works pretty good. With SMB though like I said has methanol, so check what your car requires, and also check the ingredients on the back of the bottle.

Last edited:
Can you please not resurrect ancient threads just to post your SMB peddling? We've already heard it ad nauseam and there is absolutely no reason to pull up a seven year old thread to do it again.

You got one of these types of posts deleted today, didn't you? Not that I expect a response, you'll probably just ignore my post and continue in more threads.

Originally Posted by InvalidUserID
I remember calling Chevron and asking if a fuel system cleaner was necessary if all that was used was their gasoline. They asked if I had the car new from the lot or used. When I said I bought it used but had already run 2 bottles of their fuel cleaner and only used Chevron since, they said I would be fine in ceasing using any fuel cleaners.

I still use SI-1 just for the other benefits.

I would agree. You're essentially getting a regular dose (maintenance) of one of the best cleaners on the market. In your situation, using Chevron exclusively, I would maybe use a Gumout or Techron system cleaner annually... but that's about it. The top 3 fuels IMO, in no particular order, are going to be Shell, Chevron and ExxonMobil. I personally use 76, a perfectly adequate TT brand IMO.

while the fuel system may stay fairly clean by using quality fuels, especially Top Tier, it will do nothing for the the intake valves on a GDI engine. With port injection, the fuel spray would help keep intake valves clean. With GDI, the oil from the incoming PCV will cake up on intake valves. One needs to take proactive measures by doing a intake cleaning regimen periodically. New technology may bring some benefits, but it always opens up a new set of problems that need to be dealt with.

@Johnny248
It make nothing "bright and clean" if you use it later, in full dosage, 1x before oil changes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8i9qftqKNY

Use alternating Techron and Redline SI-1 and add 1oz before filling tank. Up to 13gal tank (etc.)
Every time you refuel. From the first day. Done.

Last edited:
I use Top Tier gas plus a bottle of Gumout Regaine with PEA just before every oil change ... It works well with my PFI autos and to a degree with my GDI engine Sonata .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back