Want opinion of disc brake pad wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Ford Taurus just did the front discs and new pads. Existing pads had only about 28,000 miles. I have never seen the wear pattern as this time. I have had pads that wear unevenly, front to back, etc. The caliper is one cylinder from the inner side. In the past when I have had a sticky caliper the overwhelming wear has been on the inboard pad. I always remove the caliper pins, clean, then lubricate. wire brush the caliper as well. This time the driver's side pads were in good shape, quite a bit of wear left, rotor in good shape. Passenger side the inner pad was identical to the driver's side, lots of pad and wear, inside surface of the rotor fine, but the outer pad was down to the metal backing, severely scoring the outer surface of rotor. What would cause the outer passenger side pad to wear so severely and damage only the outer side of the rotor? In the past when I had a sticky rotor the more severely worn pad was on the inside, next to the piston. I wonder if possible pad defect, or is there some mechanical problem that would explain this?

Scott

When they get to that age, i replace calipers and hoses just based on age alone. That way i don't have to deal with doing the job more than once. It's 19 years old.

My new nissan Rogue would eat inside pads in 20K miles. Dealer couldnt explain. Did new rotors and pads - still did it. Slide pins were free as could be. Maybe ABS or TC issue. applying brake.

Last edited:
Bad slide pin or the "ears" on the pad are rubbing the bracket. Sometimes they need a kiss with the grinder.

Originally Posted by boulderdentist
the outer pad was down to the metal backing, severely scoring the outer surface of rotor. What would cause the outer passenger side pad to wear so severely and damage only the outer side of the rotor? In the past when I had a sticky rotor the more severely worn pad was on the inside, next to the piston.

I've also seen this happen, and could never come up with good explanation.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Bad slide pin or the "ears" on the pad are rubbing the bracket. Sometimes they need a kiss with the grinder.

^^This^^

Also, does your Ford have a rubber bushing on the slide pin......seen them swell up causing the same problem. A rebuild kit should remedy that if it's the case.....what kind of lube do you use on the pins and ears?

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Originally Posted by eljefino

^^This^^

Also, does your Ford have a rubber bushing on the slide pin......seen them swell up causing the same problem. A rebuild kit should remedy that if it's the case.....what kind of lube do you use on the pins and ears?

Some of the Permatex various color brake grease goop will deteriorate those slide pin bushings causing caliper to hang up.

Thanks for the responses. Though I did not mention in my original post calipers were replaced about five years ago. I used the slide pin lube that was supplied with the new pads, it was labelled Wearever, but will see if I can find for the actual material. Yes, Yah-Tah-Hey there are rubber bushings on the slide pin with a little metal plate to the outside. I was born and raised in Nebraska, left after dental school graduation for Boulder, CO. Think I remember Yah-Tay-Hey reporting on the spring flooding in Nebraska. Damaged crops, drowned cattle and calves, damage to roads and bridges. Has there been some recovery? I am willing to replace calipers and brake lines, just like to understand causes for outcomes. Auto tech can be similar to medicine, despite careful testing and diagnosis throw parts at it until we hopefully solve the problem. I once read in a auto shop a sign that stated basically diagnosis with autos is similar to MD's and their patients. However, it pointed out there are dozens of makes, models, and diagnostic procedures which make it far more difficult than treating a patient. He also posted his hourly rates, this may have been in the late 1980's. $85.00 an hour for labor, $100.00 an hour if you want to watch, $125.00 an hour if you tried to repair, failed and now wanted him to bail you out.

Scott

Governor has issued second emergency declaration for almost all counties and much has been accomplished but there are still myriad bridges and roads to be repaired. Now Iowa DOT is closing I-29 north of Council bluffs because Missouri is out of banks in that area due to five/six inches of rain in area north. That stretch of I-29 wasn't returned to service till early summer. Over all, we expect a cold winter will produce same flooding as this year. Maybe without the bomb cyclone of March 15. Columbus was completely isolated for three days because US-30 and US-81 were under water in all four directions. UPRR Columbus sub was closed for several months. We have eighty or more trains a day and it was really different not hearing the train horns day and night.. UP bridge at Columbus was damaged by huge ice flow up to 30" thick. It would take just one or two heavy thunderstorms to put up back to March as ground is saturated. As you know, the problem here is the fact that the rivers are " a mile wide and a foot deep." Offutt AFB sustained heavy damage to 137 structures and estimate to repair is plus five billion over five years. And Corp of Engineers is going to have to spend millions to repair and improve levees up and down the Missouri. It's a real calamity, especially for farm group who are already hurting from low crop prices and no market due to tariffs. They all loved the Donald in 2016, not so much in 2019. Regards

Thank you for the inside information. The spring flooding seemed under reported at best, did not hear much of your plight even in neighboring state Colorado. Most of my information has been from you.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back