What is the reasoning for 2-fuel tanks on a rv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend if mine has a older RV with 2-fuel tanks.
Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

When you look underneath you'll see one take has a fuel pump, the other doesn't so I'm assuming there is some sort of a switch to switch between the two tanks?

Last edited:
I don't know how true it is, but I was told that my diesel class C (see sig) is odd for having dual tanks. It has a third tank for gasoline, which IS uncommon, I think. Rather than equip it with an LP generator, they put a gasoline one with it's own fuel tank and fuel level gauge. I only use the 18 gallon front tank right now. It gets 9ish hwy mpg so that's fine for me. I like to take a break after 100 miles or so anyway.

because gasoline rigs share the fuel with the genset its so they can have some actual range or dry camping staying power.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
because gasoline rigs share the fuel with the genset its so they can have some actual range or dry camping staying power.

UD

I had a 78 Dodge 1 ton van chassis Class B (SRW) motorhone with a factory single 36 gallon gas tank. I had to rebuild the impossible to find fuel sending unit and hand cut a new cork gasket for it. It fed the generator too but only to a certain point in the tank, so the generator would run dry without emptying the tank. That tiny 19ft short class b got 9 bloody mpg and I had it when gas was $4. Yeah, ouch.

I get about 9 mpg hwy in my current big 27' class C diesel with a 4.10 rear. The Dodge had 3.55. I'd probably get 10.5mpg if I had a 3.55 in the C...

Originally Posted by Cubey
Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

I had a 78 Dodge 1 ton van chassis Class B (SRW) motorhone with a factory single 36 gallon gas tank. I had to rebuild the impossible to find fuel sending unit and hand cut a new cork gasket for it. It fed the generator too but only to a certain point in the tank, so the generator would run dry without emptying the tank. That tiny 19ft short class b got 9 bloody mpg and I had it when gas was $4. Yeah, ouch.

I get about 9 mpg hwy in my current big 27' class C diesel with a 4.10 rear. The Dodge had 3.55. I'd probably get 10.5mpg if I had a 3.55 in the C...

The genset feeds are purposefully set short in the tank so you dont inadvertently get yourself in a situation where you cant drive out of a dry camp where you are under a heavy load like an AC unit running 24/7.

This can be super annoying if you aren't level which can reduce run time even further.

UD

Until the mid 90's, dual tanks were the norm on pickup trucks. Not very unusual for RVs to have them also! Both guzzle gas so it makes sense to have one for backup.

My old first generation Bronco has them as well, it's nice since the fuel gauge doesn't work, when one runs out, just switch over and carry on! Handy as heck.

As has been said, low MPG of the vehicle and the genset adding to the fuel load, requires the need for more fuel storage for longer distances and "parked" ability while running a genset. Even with all that, it isn't a bad idea to carry an extra 5 to 10 gallons at all times.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Until the mid 90's, dual tanks were the norm on pickup trucks. Not very unusual for RVs to have them also! Both guzzle gas so it makes sense to have one for backup.

My old first generation Bronco has them as well, it's nice since the fuel gauge doesn't work, when one runs out, just switch over and carry on! Handy as heck.

Dual fuel tanks were a stupid idea that unnecessarily over complicated a fuel system. I have them on my 1991 Ford F-150. They only hold around 16 to 18 gallons each. (The most I ever put in was 34-1/2 gallons with both tanks in the red). So you really don't get any more range than you do with one large tank. I think the Chevy Suburban's back then had one 36 gallon tank with the 454 models.

I've never had any trouble with mine, but I see zero advantage to it as far as any added range. I knew a guy who had one, and the solenoid switch went south, stranding him with a full tank. Ford finally got away from them in favor of one large tank. Also, with the improved fuel economy of the newer engines, there was an even lesser need for them.

My RV only has a single tank that feeds the engine, the generator, and the primary heating system (Aqua-Hot). Feeds for the genset and heat will not pull the tank below 1/4 full.
Of course, that tank holds 260 gallons of Diesel fuel. ( I get about 6.5 mpg).

The Tartan Prancer has 2 fuel tanks too. AND it's a plug-in hybrid.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jongies3

That. My 92 F-350 had dual tanks, so did my 79.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back