Yamaha EF2800i break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new Yamaha EF2800i inverter generator to run the furnace and lights the odd time the power goes out. I've never owned a generator. Thoughts on how to break it in properly?

Originally Posted by Uregina09
I purchased a new Yamaha EF2800i inverter generator to run the furnace and lights the odd time the power goes out. I've never owned a generator. Thoughts on how to break it in properly?

put a load on it like a space heater or a hair dryer, or small air conditioner - and switch from low to high through one full fuel tank.

change oil, refill with race gas all the way to top, and run generator with fuel switch off to dry out the float bowl.

store with cover.

once every half year run a tank gas through it, dry out the float bowl - put it away another half year.

IF you cant find race gas buy premium and use sta-bil.

UD

Last edited:
What does Yamaha manual say?

I would not go 6 months. Exercise it once a month, especially with ethanol fuel.

Stabil is a must.

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

Here's my 3000iseb (same gen) running a lincoln welder out in the desert.

Been on a 6 month schedule for about 10 years.

Once a month would drive me nuts.

Last edited:
Keep it empty, put in fuel and run it dry for break in adn change oil and run it dry
drain the carb
Put in fresh gas when needed.

Run it with a light load for an hour or two switching the power saver on and off regularly. Change the oil. i think a six month exercise schedule is good for an inverter. Standard gen-sets get monthly use. I have both.

I store mine empty as I have a truck with 55 gallons, two motorcycles with 6 gallons each, OPE gas, and a car that all have available fuel that's fresh.

If you store fuel in it, use E0 and Sta-bil...full to the top to reduce contact with air.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
[Linked Image]

Here's my 3000iseb (same gen) running a lincoln welder out in the desert.

Been on a 6 month schedule for about 10 years.

Once a month would drive me nuts.

Same gen set I have for the toy hauler. I've has always ran on E10, and just shut the petcock off and ran it dry. if the 2800 has a fuel shut off there really isn't a need for non ethanol fuel although it wouldn't hurt for storage purposes.

i run a similar yamaha 3000. It gets run whenever I need it, which could be 2-4x per year. With stabil, there have been zero issues even if sitting 6 months. However, if it's sat that long, it needs to run a while or it will choke when a big load hits. So I think 6 months is about as long as I'd go without running it, if there were ever such a case.

Store them empty of fuel. Put just enough in to run it a few hours, let it run itself out of gas. When you need it again, put fuel in it. My best advice about seldom used generators. Put a reminder on the calendar to pull it out and run it every 5 or 6 months if it hasn't been used.

I have a ~10 yr old EF2000i, and a brand-new EF3000i.

I broke both in with a 45 minute hair-dryer load (the 3000 took two hair dryersat once).

I use non-alky Premium, 'fortified' with Marine Stabil and Techron.

I run them in the fall to ensure they will work for winter power-outages, and change the oil every other year, if they had no real use in the year prior.

I'm running 5w-30 Pennzoil synthetic (ran Mobil1 in the past).

Since Yamaha has a fuel shutoff, and the 2000 has a gas cap vent shutoff, those get closed to prevent oxidation and condensation. I'm not sure how I will handle the 3000's tank. I might keep it full-to-the-brim, and drain it out once a year to keep it fresh.

That seems like a lot of power just to run the furnace and a few lights. If it were me, I would shake it down using the actual loads, but build up to them. Start with those few lights, then add a refrigerator. After an hour or so, switch to the ECO mode and see how it handles the refrigerator. If all remains well, which it should, switch it back to full speed and introduce the load of the furnace. After an hour or so of that, switch back to ECO mode with everything you think you might want to run in an emergency connected. Change the oil somewhere between 5 hours and whatever the manual calls for, then call it a day.

Personally I use regular E10 gas with a dose of StaBil Marine 360. I've seen suggestions of race gas or premium fuel. Race gas would be ethanol free, but you get around that by treating the gas. I've been doing this for five years now with six pieces of four cycle OPE without experiencing an ethanol related problem. As for premium? These engines don't have the compression ratio to justify that; save your money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back