What is something you NEVER buy cheap? and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The best toilet paper in my opinion is Great Value Ultra Soft. I won't buy a cheap mattress.

I think some "little" things, like shoes or a comfy bed, are the best spent money which pay huge dividends. A bad pair of shoes can literally eff' up your day and make you sick, especially so if you work on your feet.

Cheap rest stop TP will tear you right up (my kids laugh at me but that's why I bring my own TP on long road trips....‚)..and a good coffee is money well spent IMO, if coffee's your thing. Even though a can of Yuban "will do", it does not compare to a more costly craft roasted bean - there's a world of difference in flavour profile. To me coffee's like liquor, you get what you pay for.

A raging hangover?

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The best toilet paper in my opinion is Great Value Ultra Soft. I won't buy a cheap mattress.

I think some "little" things, like shoes or a comfy bed, are the best spent money which pay huge dividends. A bad pair of shoes can literally eff' up your day and make you sick, especially so if you work on your feet.

Cheap rest stop TP will tear you right up (my kids laugh at me but that's why I bring my own TP on long road trips....‚)..and a good coffee is money well spent IMO, if coffee's your thing. Even though a can of Yuban "will do", it does not compare to a more costly craft roasted bean - there's a world of difference in flavour profile. To me coffee's like liquor, you get what you pay for.

A raging hangover?

Exactly... and now that I don't drink anymore I think back and wonder how the eff' did I ever make it through a day like that!🤔...‚

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Soda
Cat food

Yeah, but how do you know that it's the good stuff and not the cheap stuff? There are classic stories out there of how things didn't sell til the raised the price.

Toothpaste
Laundry detergent
Dish soap
Bug spray
Peanut butter
Mayonnaise
Tupperware
Aluminum foil

Originally Posted by wemay
Toothpaste
Laundry detergent
Dish soap
Bug spray
Peanut butter
Mayonnaise
Tupperware
Aluminum foil

Darn right on the PB (better be Skippy) and mayo..if it ain't Best Food's/Hellman's you can take that knock off garbage cra-.. with ya!...‚

Toothpaste
Laundry detergent
Dish soap
Bug spray
Peanut butter
Mayonnaise
Tupperware
Aluminum foil

Darn right on the PB (better be Skippy) and mayo..if it ain't Best Food's/Hellman's you can take that knock off garbage cra-.. with ya!...‚

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Same with dish soap, I dont buy "name brand" but I use Ecos almond, which isnt cheap either.

Funny you should mention Ecos Almond.
Recently at the local Whole Foods, my location was discontinuing ONLY that scent of Ecos (half price).
Naturally I stocked up on 8 bottles of it. Easily enough to make it well into 2020
thumbsup2.gif

Toothpaste
Laundry detergent
Dish soap
Bug spray
Peanut butter
Mayonnaise
Tupperware
Aluminum foil

Normally I insist on Heinz for ketchup, but strangely McDonalds which got rid of Heinz tastes pretty close.

Oil - Much of the oil I change is either in racing engines or in the tow rigs hauling those cars all over the country so only the best will do.

Clothes - No doubt about it, better quality clothes last longer and fit better.

Bed / Sheets - I have a bad back so a comfy bed is vital.

Diapers - The wife and I learned this lesson early on with the first child.

Hamburger meat - 93% ground chuck or ground sirloin makes so much better burgers.

Guns / Ammo - The cost per round is nothing compared to the cost of a failure to fire in a life/death situation.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

Good one. My Son gets Luvs and Huggies. Not the most expensive but not cheap either.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Women

You will find they are all overpriced. Don't pay for what is free.

As to the thread, live frugal and not cheap. There is a big difference.

Perspective. Some of these items listed - Red Wing boots, premium fuel with Ethanol in it, etc - may have been good once, but maybe are made in China now, or just not the same power-packing fuel it used to be, though still costing more. Frugal would be to find something maybe just above the minimum price on the shoes that is comfortable and will last (Kohl's has good shoes) and maybe see about an additive in gas vs spending the high dollar every time. Or alternating tanks between 87 and 92 or 93 if you must.

Even car tires was mentioned. Brand new any ones from DTD or Simple Tire, cheap or not, is a better shot than used ones from the corner used tire shop where they run out to the car and bend up your pinch rail, you'll never get it back straight.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Oil - Much of the oil I change is either in racing engines or in the tow rigs hauling those cars all over the country so only the best will do.

Clothes - No doubt about it, better quality clothes last longer and fit better.

Bed / Sheets - I have a bad back so a comfy bed is vital.

Hamburger meat - 93% ground chuck or ground sirloin makes so much better burgers.

Guns / Ammo - The cost per round is nothing compared to the cost of a failure to fire in a life/death situation.

I found that 93% lean makes nearly-inedible burgers-it's too dry.

Idk, maybe I just like dry burgers. lol I blend in some salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, and onion powder, form into patties, and put them on the grill. I love them.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Toothpaste
Laundry detergent
Dish soap
Bug spray
Peanut butter
Mayonnaise
Tupperware
Aluminum foil

Normally I insist on Heinz for ketchup, but strangely McDonalds which got rid of Heinz tastes pretty close.

That's funny because I agree with you on that.. McDonald's has great tasting ketchup, not TOO sweet or tomatoey'... Maybe Heinz is just private labeling it, dunno..🤔

OAnother glasses and sunglasses and ski googles specifically the optics. I go out fishing for example and can see the fish in water before anyone else due to optics.

I justify it thru using Insurance benefits for part of it and also FSA for the rest. In the end still forking out about $200 + post tax benefits for top end stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back