18 Jeep 3.6 PPU 0w20 5k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
See below. It had a Fram Ultra filter in it. The PPU looks good. The new fill is back to Mobil 1 AP with M1 filter. I added about a cup of makeup oil at about 4k, which was PP 0w20.

I wish PPU 0w20 was cheaper and more readily available. I'd be inclined to run it again at some point.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's weird how they recommend the 0W-20 for some Jeeps with the V6 and not others. My Cherokee with the 3.2L only takes the 5W-20 according to the manual. The Ram with the 3.6L is 5W-20 or 5W-30.

Nice report

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
It's weird how they recommend the 0W-20 for some Jeeps with the V6 and not others. My Cherokee with the 3.2L only takes the 5W-20 according to the manual. The Ram with the 3.6L is 5W-20 or 5W-30.

Nice report

This is the newer gen 2 Pentastar, which all are spec'd for 0w20. They did a lot of reworking of the cylinder head and valve train to reduce friction and add some torque. On paper, it has 14% more torque from about 1200 rpm to around 4,000. It also has a higher compression ratio. Peak torque and horsepower remain the same, though. I've drag raced (In a Jeep, LOL!) my buddy's 2012 with the gen 1 Pentastar, and his is a lighter 2 door, both with 4.10 gearing and 35" tires. The Gen 2 easily dusted him and gets significantly better gas mileage, to boot. I averaged about 21.3mpg on the highway to and from Oshkosh in July at 75mph. That blows me away. My JK with 33's and the old 3.8 wouldn't get that at 55mph with a tailwind, lol.

Interestingly, the gen 2 3.6 has 1 quart less oil capacity, too, than the gen 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister

Nice report

This is the newer gen 2 Pentastar, which all are spec'd for 0w20. They did a lot of reworking of the cylinder head and valve train to reduce friction and add some torque. On paper, it has 14% more torque from about 1200 rpm to around 4,000. It also has a higher compression ratio. Peak torque and horsepower remain the same, though. I've drag raced (In a Jeep, LOL!) my buddy's 2012 with the gen 1 Pentastar, and his is a lighter 2 door, both with 4.10 gearing and 35" tires. The Gen 2 easily dusted him and gets significantly better gas mileage, to boot. I averaged about 21.3mpg on the highway to and from Oshkosh in July at 75mph. That blows me away. My JK with 33's and the old 3.8 wouldn't get that at 55mph with a tailwind, lol.

Interestingly, the gen 2 3.6 has 1 quart less oil capacity, too, than the gen 1.

I forgot about the upgrade, that makes sense now. The 3.2L never got any of the upgrades.

The UOAs are telling you two things ....
1) engine is fine
2) Extend your OFCIs to get some value out of your products. That's a waste to dump perfectly good products so soon. Or use "normal" products and save the money.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
1) engine is fine
2) Extend your OFCIs to get some value out of your products. That's a waste to dump perfectly good products so soon. Or use "normal" products and save the money.

Thanks. 1. Yep, looking good.
2. Nope but thanks.

I appreciate the suggestion, and it would certainly work fine with this engine that is proven to be pretty easy on oil. However, I'm settling in an OCI at or around 5k. My Jeep. My investment. My desire to run what I think is the best oil at my chosen OCI. I know many friends with 300k+ miles on engines that run perfectly and the common denominators are typically 5k oil changes on M1, PP, Amsoil, etc. In addition, I play pretty hard with this engine. The Jeep goes off road frequently, which can include very slow high load conditions in high heat, bookended by drives on windy roads where I'm having fun going through the gears on windy roads, running it through the entire power band at every opportunity. I want every inch of safety margin over the bare minimum performance needed in the oil. The good news is that I don't drink or smoke, so I've got plenty of discretionary income to feed this beast a fine drink of expensive oil every 5 or 6k. I do it largely for my own entertainment, and that includes the price of an analysis at every oil change, too. Pure fun. Part of the fun is to see how long this machine can go without a rebuilt engine. My 08 is only at 134k after 12 years, but it is going strong and has required very little beyond required maintenance, much of which I've completed on a shorter schedule than required. It has been fun, and the fun continues.

Last edited:
Good explanation because using those fine lubes for that OCI … UOA is what I'd say farewell to …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Good explanation because using those fine lubes for that OCI … UOA is what I'd say farewell to …

Yeah, I may send those less frequently, but again, I don't really spend much on entertainment outside my Jeeps, and I have a week or two of great anticipation whenever I send off a sample. Why? [censored], I don't know. It has become anticlimactic when they arrive, really, but I still love it and enjoy learning from you folks on this great forum, as I go. I just like knowing what's going on, and boring is good.

Back to the UOA, I do find it interesting that PUP is a little thicker. Usually Pennzoil has a rep for being on the thinner end of the range in most weights. The second sample was M1 EP, the third and 4th were M1 AP, IIRC, and all were 0w20. I'd assume the factory fill was Pennzoil, but I'd bet Pennzoil Gold rather than Platinum. Just a hunch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by dnewton3
1) engine is fine

Thanks. 1. Yep, looking good.
2. Nope but thanks.

I appreciate the suggestion, and it would certainly work fine with this engine that is proven to be pretty easy on oil. However, I'm settling in an OCI at or around 5k. My Jeep. My investment. My desire to run what I think is the best oil at my chosen OCI. I know many friends with 300k+ miles on engines that run perfectly and the common denominators are typically 5k oil changes on M1, PP, Amsoil, etc. In addition, I play pretty hard with this engine. The Jeep goes off road frequently, which can include very slow high load conditions in high heat, bookended by drives on windy roads where I'm having fun going through the gears on windy roads, running it through the entire power band at every opportunity. I want every inch of safety margin over the bare minimum performance needed in the oil. The good news is that I don't drink or smoke, so I've got plenty of discretionary income to feed this beast a fine drink of expensive oil every 5 or 6k. I do it largely for my own entertainment, and that includes the price of an analysis at every oil change, too. Pure fun. Part of the fun is to see how long this machine can go without a rebuilt engine. My 08 is only at 134k after 12 years, but it is going strong and has required very little beyond required maintenance, much of which I've completed on a shorter schedule than required. It has been fun, and the fun continues.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back