Deal of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a garage sale last weekend, and I had some unused stereo equipment for sale. No takers, even for $15.00.. Later in the day I went to Craigslist, and found a BRAND NEW Harbor Freight 2 stroke generator for trade. He wanted stereo equipment in trade. We made the deal, and both walked away happy. The generator never even had gas in it. I did the recommended updates, gas filter, plug connector, NGK spark plug. Now, to keep it or flip it?

Trade it in for something even better, and keep repeating, until you end up with a nice car. Wasn't there a TV episode like that some time ago?

There was a story similar to this where I believe it was a teenager who kept trading up vehicles that way.

They're neat little generators to have because they're so portable, light and fuel efficient. I bought one from HFT back around 2013. They're tough to get for under $100 anymore Oh.. and Hi neighbor! I live in West Falls.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Trade it in for something even better, and keep repeating, until you end up with a nice car. Wasn't there a TV episode like that some time ago?

Yeah, it was a tv show. Had a run of two or three seasons. Forget the channel it was on. It was called Barter Kings or something like that.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Originally Posted by Kestas

Yeah, it was a tv show. Had a run of two or three seasons. Forget the channel it was on. It was called Barter Kings or something like that.

Reminds me of a story from a little over a decade ago, where a guy started with a single red paperclip and traded it up over the course of about a year and 14 trades, for a house in Saskatchewan.

One Red Paperclip

To the OP, it is probably a non-inverter generator that runs at 3600 RPMs. They require a residual magnetism when they start up in order to begin to generate power. Sometimes when they are not ran for a long time they lose the residual magnetism and will not generate power when you run it. If that happens there are two different ways to flash the armature to get it to generate power.

One way is to connect a battery such as 6 or 12 Volts across the connection for the brushes.

The other way is to plug an electric drill into the A.C. outlet and turn the chuck of the drill while holding down the drills triger.

Look on youtube, there are videos on how to flash a generator.

You should watch the youtube videos so you know how to flash the generator incase you have to do it to get the generator to work during a power outage.

Last edited:
i had one of those 2-stroke generators but bought at Meijer. They produce a crappy sine wave and you'd be a fool using it to power sensitive electronics.

I have one that I s probably 7 or 8 years old. Mine has been handy when an extension cord is not long enough to reach remote jobs in the back lot. Run things like halogen work lights, drills, battery chargers.
All I've ever done to mine is change the spark plug out to an NGK.
I run Amsoil saber oil in it usually 40:1 or 45:1 ratio.
They are actually pretty reliable units as long as a quality premix oil is used at the proper ratio.
They are china made clone of an older Yamaha model if I remember right.

Last edited:
I decided to get it started. I added a fuel filter, good quality fuel line, and the NGK plug cap. Mixed up a gallon of 32:1 mix, and it started on the third pull. It's outside running and powering a small artificial Christmas tree. About a 100 watt load. It puts out between 115 and 117 volts no load. I'm keeping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back