Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your guys' general consensus on castrol edge oil? I've been running a 5w40 in my tiburon due to high revs and high heat this summer but being that i know very little about the particulars of oil, I figure I'd ask.

I've been pleased running the 0W-40 Euro oil in my turbo Optima. My UOA have been much better than then I was running M1 0W-40 oil, hence the switch for me.
If you are running the GDI version of the engine (I don't know what model year you have), I would also keep my oil change interval to under 5K miles.

Are they licensing GF-6 already or is this a typo? I wasn't aware they were... this is from the product description on Amazon for Castrol GTX HiMi syn blend.

Castrol GTX - Amazon

[Linked Image]

I use the Castrol Edge EP 5W30 in my Tundra and in my son's Elantra. He commutes 140 miles a day so even at a a standard 7,500 mile oil change is easy to miss one. That would require an oil change every 10 weeks. Does 15K intervals in the Elantra with Edge EP and there have been no issues. Could probably do 20,000 like the oil is guaranteed for but I cannot find an oil filter good for 20,000 miles.

My Tundra has 157K miles and does not burn a drop of oil between oil changes. The dipstick reads Full right before I change it. For that I use a 10,000 mile oil change and a Wix 1515 or Napa Gold 51515 oil filter.

EDGE popularity faded here over the years. I'm using EDGE EP now. It looks good but I don't really know. There haven't been many UOAS but the ones I've seen it looks good.

I was a long time Pennzoil user but when they switched to the natural gas formulation, I got quite a bit of burn-off. I thought it might have been because my car now has over 217,000 miles but I switched over to Edge and the burn-off all but disappeared. For that reason alone I'll probably continue with the Edge. I feel good when I pull the dipstick out to check the oil and it is still on the full mark!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dpaldino
I was a long time Pennzoil user but when they switched to the natural gas formulation, I got quite a bit of burn-off. I thought it might have been because my car now has over 217,000 miles but I switched over to Edge and the burn-off all but disappeared. For that reason alone I'll probably continue with the Edge. I feel good when I pull the dipstick out to check the oil and it is still on the full mark!

*I may try the EDGE in my Senota 2.4L as I lose typically about 0.75 to 1.0 qrt over a <5K OCI .

Maybe it turned back into NG and actually boosted MPG … that might also explain some unbelievable MPG claims made on this site … Although nothing beats that intake tornado thingie

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
What are your guys' general consensus on castrol edge oil? I've been running a 5w40 in my tiburon due to high revs and high heat this summer but being that i know very little about the particulars of oil, I figure I'd ask.

If you going heavy, go with Edge 0W40. Much better and more stout oil.

I like Castrol edge the best out of all the Walmart choices for my old 5.3 gm motor. The quietest cold start out of all the different kinds I tried; not that it matters.

Originally Posted by leeharvey418
i have an 03 w the 2.7 v6 and I never push over 5k oci.

That doesn't sound very abusive.

Despite owning a couple of my own Hyundais, the name is in reference to what my friend and I did to his 600 dollar 04 elantra. Safe to say the scrapyard could not recover much of the engine.
Originally Posted by edyvw

If you going heavy, go with Edge 0W40. Much better and more stout oil.

How might the 0W-40 be a more stout oil? I've seen something about this before but cannot remember the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back