'13 Camry, ATF replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car in question - '13 toyota camry with 20K on the clock (low miles, very little driven). Would it makes sense to make a complete ATF flush (fluid overhaul and filter replacement) or age doesn't really matter when it comes to ATF?

Appreciate any advise or suggestion

You probably don't have to, but if you want to, a single drain and fill will be sufficient
smile.gif

I really don't have the means to do it myself (dad's car, he lives overseas) and it would have to go 3rd party. and the price tag is quite high

car is being driven now, but annual mileage is still gonna be low - 3-5K tops I'd say

Transmission is a close loop system and there is no combustion.

Unless it is immerse in water, I don't see any need to flush it at that mileage.
Also, running the chance that whoever done it is not doing it properly, then you are in more trouble.

The guy who'd work on it had done hundreds of toyotas, pretty much it's all he does so i'm not concerned about that.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Transmission is a close loop system and there is no combustion.

Unless it is immerse in water, I don't see any need to flush it at that mileage.
Also, running the chance that whoever done it is not doing it properly, then you are in more trouble.

+1

No, no upside at this point and only downside,

Yep, that's pretty low mileage.
The good thing about early spill and fill is to remove assembly and break in debris.
Of course bazillions of Toyota Camry owners never service their transmissions.

Just my 2 cents...

I'm in the Jim Allen and Molakule camp to do an early change to get out debris. Most of the contamination occurs in the first 5k miles and then evens out.

I did a d&f on my Aisin 8spd in my new Buick at 3k miles but didn't have to pay labor to anyone but me. It was easier than the Aisin 6-spd i did on a MINI. $25 for me would be $150-$200 at a shop...if they don't mess it up.

At 20K it's almost broken in. Most of the particles are shed by around 25K. I'd change it if it was DIY. If you're paying, wait until 40K.

No issues taking it longer given the age of the fluid (6yrs) in your opinion?

Many here bash on Toyota WS fluid - but I think you're fine taking it to 30K. A early drain and fill won't hurt anything but those Toyota trannies need special care to when the fluid level is checked during service. It has to be dead-on at that temperature for a proper check via the standpipe.

lubricants age with miles as well as time but prolly less, spend a little now + less in the future if you intend to keep a vehicle.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Car in question - '13 toyota camry with 20K on the clock (low miles, very little driven). Would it makes sense to make a complete ATF flush (fluid overhaul and filter replacement) or age doesn't really matter when it comes to ATF?

Appreciate any advise or suggestion

I would first look at the color of the ATF fluid. Ideally it should be cherry red in color. Also, there should be no burnt smell. If it is red or light brown I would personally do a "drain and fill".

You could use Toyota's fluid or the equivalent Idemitsu brand, which is factory fill for many Japanese automatic transmissions. Be sure to get the right ATF fluid, likely Toyota WS. Idemitsu calls their version of this fluid type "TLS-LV". If it is black you might be better off not changing it.

Be mindful of the difference between a "drain and fill" vs. a "flush and fill". A flush involves pressure. Personally I would not "flush" an older transmission. Too much risk of dislodging dried fluid and other contaminants and in turn damaging the transmission.

Whether you do this yourself or have a mechanic do it, be sure to measure how much fluid you take out and put back the exact same amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back