Quarter panel damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
While backing up from the garage my Highlander - stupidy on my part, to straighten it back took it to drive and hit the side quarter panel.
There is a small hollow dent into the quarter panel near the head light - feel it could have been completely avoidable.
Any ideas on how to fix it - the side bumper gracefully has no tab damage. Buy the panel or repair it by taking it to a shop.

Pl. chime in.

Could you post a picture? I hear a lot about these "pop out" methods. Where they use suction to pop out dents. However if the paint is damaged, that isn't going to help.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
There is a small hollow dent into the quarter panel near the head light

Quarter panel nowhere near the head light. I'm looking for the avatar thingy that says, "This thread is useless without pictures" but can't find it.

Attached is the pic, looks bad may need a new panel afterall
[Linked Image]

If it's not creased or paint broken It's usually doable using paintless repair. Sometimes you can use a plunger if it's in the middle away from a formed edge. Otherwise you need to have a pro do it as it's cheap enough and they have the shaped picks to get at it and work it back. Pictures would be helpful

That's a fender. Bumper will wet sand and buff just fine. Get a matching color used fender for $75-$100. Or get a new aftermarket for $50 and get it painted $100-$150. Or fix that one if it has the original vin sticker and you want to preserve that for $400-$500.

There is more damage there than what you are thinking, the lines for the bumper and light are way off. With the bumper and light removed you will get a better idea of whats damaged. Do you intend to do this yourself?

x2. Just a bolt a new fender on. Did that with a Grand Cherokee I had, got one in the right color from a junkyard (car-part.com) for $250 shipped, swapped it out in an hour and it looked perfect. Got all the gaps right too, used a digital caliper to measure before and after. Body shop wanted $2500 to replace it and repaint the side!

Try an eraser on the bumper scuffs.

Yes, I am leaning to replace it as the damage is more that I thought although the bumper survived the my folly.!!!

You're going to need to replace that fender...and the bumper surround if it is cracked. Nothing is going to remove that sharp crease in the metal...and that is going to be over a 1K price tag.

Last edited:
That fender is repairable (professionally)... probably not DIY unless you're pretty experienced ....

If you can find a matching one used that's easiest fix DIY...

Hood/fender line at top of headlight is concerning... might be more up than meets the eye...

Car is a 14 year old Toyota. How much are you willing to spend ?

If the headlight works, and the bumper cover is secure, you may want to just buff out / touch up the obvious paint damage.

Front fender damage. I would guess that a body shop is going to tell you that it would cost less to replace fender. Perhaps you can find one on a salvage site. I put a crease in the trunk lid lip several years ago(tree growing with a 30 degree tilt) and body shop suggested looking at salvage sites in region. Found one of same color code and for $175 plug shipping and had body shop install it. Perfect match.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd pay more to keep the original fender if it has the vin sticker on it. Better for resale.

I would count my stars if I got 3K for the well maintained babied vehicle - my wife told me to dump it once we got the MB, I said no.
It has had atleast 2 front ends and one backend damage (one time it s a deer). So yes, a salvage fender wouldn't make a difference to the resale value.

In that case buy a new aftermarket fender for $50 and get it painted for another $100-$150. You won't find a matching color used one locally and shipping one costs too much.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd pay more to keep the original fender if it has the vin sticker on it. Better for resale.

I would count my stars if I got 3K for the well maintained babied vehicle - my wife told me to dump it once we got the MB, I said no.
It has had atleast 2 front ends and one backend damage (one time it s a deer). So yes, a salvage fender wouldn't make a difference to the resale value.

In that case, not worth fixing. It might need a headlight though, looks like the tabs are broken on it so it'll be blinding oncoming traffic and not contributing much to lighting the road. You might be able to epoxy them and reaim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back