Who has gone Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've considered the 0/30 afe, but I think if I were to get any m1 I'd just get regular 5/30. More than sufficient for my use. I currently use qsad at 5k intervals. If I went Mobil 1 I'd bump it up to 10k. I still have enough Quaker state for another oil change though.

I went to Mobil 1 High Mileage on my 1991 F-150 in hopes of slowing, or stopping a leaky rear main seal. Then someone here told me that Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic had more, "seal swelling stuff" in it. So when I use up the Mobil 1 I have, I'm going to try that.

I have used it on and off since 1989 (first Corvette), but I am not married to it. In my experience, each engine brand and type can respond to oils in different ways. I ran 0W-20 AFE in my old FX4 for 15-17K miles and my Explorer runs 0W-20 AFE exclusively. I tried 0W-40 Euro in my MB cars, but it did not handle fuel dilution as well as Castrol Euro or Pennzoil Euro.

I flip flop between Pennzoil and XOM. Within the next 6-12 months I most likely will be running Mobil 1 in all three vehicles.

My Mazda 3 only had Mobil 1 up until I got rid of it (63k). For curiosity sake I'm using Castrol EDGE EP now. I like all the major formulations these days. Can't go wrong.

Mobil 1 is my favorite motor oil brand though. Their testing, marketing and consistency (and website) is second to none.

Since I bought a ton of AP for $2/qt, yeah, my Elantra is running 5W-20 AP for 7,500 mile OCIs until the 120K OC. After that probably switching to 5W-30 Valvoline AFS (unless I'm still up to my eyeballs in Magnatec, then maybe that).

I've used it twice - AFE 0W-20 in my previous Tribute, where the winter starting abilities really impressed me - minus 25 and below, started like a warm summers day, no 'drag' at all.
Recently ran 10W-30 EP out to 19k miles in my Kia bc life got busy, and it did well, but car didn't start twice during this past really cold winter bc the oil was too thick. Once the engine started, tho, it was very smooth and quiet. Surprisingly little grit and debris in the pan when drained even after that many miles.

The S60 and Sierra get Mobil 1 because it's ~$12/jug with rebate. Otherwise the truck gets Super Tech syn, and the S60 gets the cheapest A5/B5 I can find.

The S70 gets Harvest King conventional. $9.47/jug, and every day I wonder if yesterday was the last day that car will start... (She just keeps on going and going!)

These threads always bring out those who believe it's a fact that Mobil 1 creates more iron and noise. Lets make a Pennzoil one so we can talk about how it contains wax!

Works for me.... just got my $48 check for the rebates. I got turned down on my SOPUS rebate because I forgot using it at the beginning of the year. But I have no problems using either PP or Mobil products.

Originally Posted by JoelB
These threads always bring out those who believe it's a fact that Mobil 1 creates more iron and noise. Lets make a Pennzoil one so we can talk about how it contains wax!

Not sure if you're joking or serious, but that is an old wife's tale.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1369819/1

I exclusively use Pennzoil in all my vehicles. I just happen to think, personally, it is better than Mobil and it is usually cheaper to purchase as well.

I haven't used any Mobil 1 products in the last 5 years, until this last oil change, where I went with EP 5w30. I was using using mostly Valvoline Synpower or PP/PUP. So far, with 500 miles on the Mobil 1 EP, I'm quite happy with it. The engine feels buttery smooth accelerating, and I'm not experiencing any extra engine noise some people experience using Mobil 1. I might just go back for more, next oil change, considering it's the same price as vanilla M1.
I don't think it matters what synthetic I use considering I only go 5k on my oil.

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by JoelB

Not sure if you're joking or serious, but that is an old wife's tale.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1369819/1

I exclusively use Pennzoil in all my vehicles. I just happen to think, personally, it is better than Mobil and it is usually cheaper to purchase as well.

Definitely joking. The idea that Pennzoil contains wax is as credible as Mobil creating more noise or wear metals. There is no conclusive data out there, all hearsay.

That's not the intention of my thread. I just wanted to see if anyone got onboard with it and stayed there. Some of the most reputable members on here use Mobil 1 or some sort of Mobil oil almost exclusively. That indicates to me, since they analyze things more than I do, that they find it to be a solid product. Once I use up my qsad I'd like to move up to 10k ocis, and I'm seriously considering just using Mobil 1 5/30 and calling it a day.

My Mercedes loves M1 0w40
My Kia though is sluggish with both 5w20 and 5w30 (M1 and M1EP) - I really wanted to love it, but it runs not so good and the engine sounds terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back