Utility trailer tires....

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for tires 205 75 15, the trailer is a 5x10, i have noticed the tires wearing on the inside. not sure if its inflation or the load. i'm in the lawncare business and i haul a john deere zero turn mower (1300 lbs) the tires i have are load c . any suggestions for a good tire??

Last edited:
All the 15" tires that have been installed in our work trailers none have lasted and I don't mean thread wear i mean absolute tire failure broken cords and what not. I see they sell 12 plys now for 15" wheels, so you might want to check that out. If you can up the size to a 225 75 15 there is 12 plys for this size tire only from my research.

Oh inside wear could be from bad/loose bearings or the axel is bent (AKA straight axel) instead of having the bend all axles have before overloading them.

I run a load range D Carlisle Radial Trail HD on my TT. I put about 3000 to 5000 miles on them a year.
The last set were the same just a load range C and they did very well. They are 8 ply and rated to 81 mph.

Have you considered an LT tire? I know guys who use the on their trailers.

Thats all we use on the 15" wheels (10 plys) none have lasted in our type of work. But to be fair our guys probably go over the speed rated on the tire.

Been there done that.. like someone said its either bearings or bent axle. Mine had a bent axle. I sold mine for $300 less than i paid for it, which would have been about the cost of repairing mine.. and bought a new one.

First, a 5X10 trailer isn't going to carry much load unless it is overloaded. So I don't think the tire brand matters too much.

Second, tire wear on the inside shoulders is an alignment problem - either a bent axle or the trailer is being overloaded.

Third, the Goodyear Endurance series seems to be performing well. Been out in the market for 3 years and no failures reported.

I third the axle being bent or the bearing being bad.

That's one of the downsides to used trailers , they always have bad bearings or a bent axle

I think you have a bent axle...but Maxxis makes an E load tire for a 15 inch wheel. I have 4 of them on my toy hauler with thousands of issue free miles.

Curb hopping usually causes bent axles. As an avid RV (travel trailer) tower-I can tell you that any tire that has a nylon belt under the tread is OK to buy. The biggest cause of trailer tire failures are curb hopping, under inflation and excessive speed. Many trailer tires in that size are only rated for a maximum of 65mph at the maximum inflation.

The GoodYear Marathon and Carlisle HD (ST) are great tires.

Last edited:
You would be better off replacing tires once a year and saving your money to upgrade your trailer with a new unit that has a more heavy duty axle, springs and room in the well for a 16" tire so you can run LT truck tires. For everyday use with a utility trailer, that will be the only solution besides replacing the axle and upgrading springs, which your trailer may not be worth putting that kind of money in to. In Florida, tons of 6 1/2 X12 trailers are sold as "heavy duty" with 5000lb axle's and 16" wheel & tire package to lawn care guys.

Maxxis or GY Endurance are my favorite trailer tires in 15 inch. I have had great luck with the Maxxis through the years

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
You would be better off replacing tires once a year and saving your money to upgrade your trailer with a new unit that has a more heavy duty axle, springs and room in the well for a 16" tire so you can run LT truck tires. For everyday use with a utility trailer, that will be the only solution besides replacing the axle and upgrading springs, which your trailer may not be worth putting that kind of money in to. In Florida, tons of 6 1/2 X12 trailers are sold as "heavy duty" with 5000lb axle's and 16" wheel & tire package to lawn care guys.

That's what I plan on doing with mine. Right now it has 3500# axles and I have no idea what for springs. I bought 6K axle springs for with the intention that I'll put bigger axles and tires under it. Right now the axles are way too close together to run anything bigger than the 13s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back