fuel economy variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuel economy variation with 91 octane no alcohol gasoline 2009 BMW R1200GS

With the Midwest flooding, in Joplin Missouri they must have had to switch refinery's. This spring I started getting 47 to 49 rather than my usual 42-44 which is a significant better than 10% improvement. I also noticed it smelled different. And it ran better when first started.
Originally I attributed it to keeping my winter 5W40 in longer, but after I put in the summer oil of 20W50 Valvoline there was no change. Still getting great mileage, which continued all summer. Well, the last 2 tanks the fuel economy went back to the historical average of 42-44. The gasoline also smells different. This weekend for fun I rode to Arkansas and filled up in Eureka springs. I did not check the smell. I cleared the MPG indicator like I always do. And guess what the economy went back to 47. It would have been 1/3 of the Joplin gas mixed in, but the mileage increased to 47.

So all us drivers in Joplin are getting substandard gasoline with a low BTU content. There is no regulation on BTU content, so we are stuck. The amount delivered is correct in that my gas can is full to the same level at 5 gallons. I wish I could take a 55 gallon barrel down there and fill it up. But with my luck I could get crashed into and crispy crittered.

Any comments

Rod

They may be delivering E0 (no ethanol) sometimes. The present low cost of crude means its cheaper to make E0 than E10.

It's easy to tell if you have E0 or not. Take a small sample of the gas in a clear glass container and add one drop of water and shake. If the water mixes in. there is ethanol. If it does not that means you have E0.

Last edited:
It is all supposed to be E0. I go to those stations only. BMW decided to put in a fuel strip rather than the tried and true float and variable resistor. E10 kills them. So many they started a 10 year warranty on them,

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
It is all supposed to be E0. I go to those stations only. BMW decided to put in a fuel strip rather than the tried and true float and variable resistor. E10 kills them. So many they started a 10 year warranty on them,

Rod

I think it is 12 years on the fuel strip. My 2011 R1200R is at 50,000 miles and strip # 5.

How manny miles do you do on those Summer / Winter oil changes? I run 15W-50 M1 all year these days (5000 mile OCI).

Last edited:
I have had mine 4 years now, had a fresh strip when I bought it, and still on same one

I think E0 has a lot to do with it. Puregas.org!!!!!

I always burn premium 91 or better.

I generally change all oils and filter, run valves etc every rear tire change

I fall when it gets cold I dump 20W5) and use 5W40 rotella. About 3K miles or so unless warm winter. I do not warm it up. I start and ride off.

It feels lively after 50 feet with the light oil. Takes about 1/4 mile with the thick stuff.

Rod

I have had this bike for 4 years now and put on about 8-10K miles/yr ride year round in Missouri. It always gets 42 short trip 44-45 longer trip, year round. This year suddenly 48 to 50 long trip, and I am in the hills or Arkansas having fun usually in 3ed or 4th gear on curves. Noe that is gone and back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back