Magnets on oil filter base plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
PSL20195 on SL2 for 2050 miles. Cleaning out the engine with short OCIs. Oil was Mobil Super HM w/~20% MMO

Thanks to Linctex for posting this magnet placement.

One of these days I will cut open this filter.

PURO.jpg

Looks like the magnets caught some stuff. Where did you get the magnets? Seem like the perfect size for use on the base plate.

This is an example of ignorant fools who don't understand what they're doing, having too much free time.

There is no reason at all to have magnets. A properly designed filter does its job and any buildup would just break free if it were excessive, and still be blocked by the filter and that's not a problem because it too is replaced on a schedule.

This is one of those urban myth slash gradeschool child ideas.

Magnets are not new tech. They've been around longer than any of us alive today, and have been tried. This is not a beneficial use of them.

It always amazes me how much nonsense people can go through and spend more money and still declare everything to be a problem.

Just no. This is ridiculous. It makes no difference whatsoever. A bad engine design on the other hand...

Last edited:
I appreciate you being politically correct, but that does not address this being nonsense.

I can wear a purple sticker on my back and declare it is important, but that doesn't make it objectively true.

This does not do anything useful, and is a waste of time and money and forum use and visitor activity, so essentially a black hole of fail.

Last edited:
Magnets can catch particles much smaller than even a high efficiency full flow filter can catch. And yes, particles less than 10 microns can cause engine wear.

Originally Posted by Dave9
This is an example of ignorant fools who don't understand what they're doing, having too much free time.

There is no reason at all to have magnets. A properly designed filter does its job and any buildup would just break free if it were excessive, and still be blocked by the filter and that's not a problem because it too is replaced on a schedule.

This is one of those urban myth slash gradeschool child ideas.

Magnets are not new tech. They've been around longer than any of us alive today, and have been tried. This is not a beneficial use of them.

It always amazes me how much nonsense people can go through and spend more money and still declare everything to be a problem.

Just no. This is ridiculous. It makes no difference whatsoever. A bad engine design on the other hand...

Jim Fitch disagrees.

Your response is simply your opinion (devoid of any data) which carries no weight compared to the data actual experts have posted on the subject matter.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
I appreciate you being politically correct, but that does not address this being nonsense.

I can wear a purple sticker on my back and declare it is important, but that doesn't make it objectively true.

This does not do anything useful, and is a waste of time and money and forum use and visitor activity, so essentially a black hole of fail.

I've read that Kubota HST filters have magnets in them. I can't confirm because I've not cut one open yet, but I plan on doing a cut and post some time this year or next spring.

Why don't filter manufacturers add them? The link to HF shows magnets to cost 2.8 cents each at the retail level. Purchased wholesale figure they might cost a penny each. If they were really great the filter makers marketing department could probably get a dollar or two more for the wiz-bang super filter. I an understand the OE not including them, they need to sell cars, not filters.

I would have to see proof otherwise this is the same as SLICK50, MMO, Rislone, Lucas, etc. One born every minute.

Seriously, I wonder if the magnets in the opening picture could attract piles of fuzz which would impede the action of the anti drain-back valve by holding it open.

Semi-related: Why is it that detailed expressions, old wive's tales and such is now labeled "urban myths"?
What's wrong with just "myths"?
Possibly the "flushed pet alligators growing up in sewers" stories requires a large city sewerage system.
I never heard of a septic system alligator growing that large.
Why isn't Sasquatch a "woods myth"?
Just askin'.

If someone was going to run with this idea, (regardless of what anyone thinks of it), wouldn't it be better to clamp a big magnet on to the end of the filter, instead of those little aspirin tablet magnets inside? Then when you change it you could simply unclamp it, and install it on the new filter.

There is also this model that screws on to the engine, then the filter of your choice screws on to it....... Flame away!
12.gif

https://www.magnefinefilters.com/Ma...XK1lLoE0_QH1xa284UQoru1eHtBoCHLIQAvD_BwE

If you want a magnet, epoxy a rare earth magnet to the inside of the oil plug, more important to have one on your trans plug.

I would hate to be the person that takes off their oil filter and ponders, didn't I have 4 magnets on there? I only see three.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would hate to be the person that takes off their oil filter and ponders, didn't I have 4 magnets on there? I only see three.

^That was my first thought.^

I use computer hard drive magnet on the exterior of my oil filters. Whatever it catches stays inside the filter and I never worry about it.

Your magnets are full of fluffy steel. It's 0 deg the next morning and your engine flares to 1700 rpm and the bypass valve cracks open in the filter. Your ice cold thick oil knocks off some of those steel shards caught while the oil was nice and thin and hot. Right to the bearings they go. You will never know it because when you cut the filter open the magnets are full of steel fluff and you think it was always in the same place. Doesn't apply to block bypass systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back