DOT 3 Synthetic Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some of this Lucas DOT 3 non-petroleum Synthetic brake fluid. Are there any perceived advantages of a DOT 3 Synthetic brake fluid? Thanks.

5D4D7059-4CD0-4CE8-B694-34732EEC5C81.jpeg

4176AF53-6160-4DD3-86F8-EDA7D2869D6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Nothing beat valvoline dot3 dot 4 synthetic brake fluid .

Actually the specs for Valvoline aren't that great but it's probably one of the cheapest dot 3/4 fluid you can buy, at least in the US. Otherwise I'd just go for a Dot 4 fluid.

whats the application? for a corolla on flat land no difference, for a big heavy vehicle on mountains roads. mabye but not that much.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
whats the application? for a corolla on flat land no difference, for a big heavy vehicle on mountains roads. mabye but not that much.

Ha ha. Big heavy vehicle on mountainous roads. But so far the consensus seems to be it's just advertising. Am I not correct?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by danez_yoda

Ha ha. Big heavy vehicle on mountainous roads. But so far the consensus seems to be it's just advertising. Am I not correct?

It is Lucas after all. Lol.

Between their oil saver and synthetic brake fluid, they have to make ends meet somehow.

When I was buying Valvoline 25+ years ago the bottle said "synthetic." As stated above, ALL brake fluids are "synthetic."

False. DOT 3 is a standard and whether it is Valvoline,generic auto parts brand, or fancy brand they are all the same.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

False. DOT 3 is a standard and whether it is Valvoline,generic auto parts brand, or fancy brand they are all the same.

That would also be my reply. DOT 3 is DOT 3 is DOT 3. That is the spec for that brake fluid. If it says DOT 3 on the container and your vehicle calls for DOT 3, use it.

You have it the other way around. Dot 3 is a standard. But the Valvoline fluid meets both Dot 3 and Dot 4 standards. There are also Dot 4 + fluids which is basically fluids that exceed the boiling points that Dot 4 calls out.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

You have it the other way around. Dot 3 is a standard. But the Valvoline fluid meets both Dot 3 and Dot 4 standards. There are also Dot 4 + fluids which is basically fluids that exceed the boiling points that Dot 4 calls out.

Some older cars especially Japanese cars until the early 1990s actually specify ONLY DOT 3 due to certain additives in a DOT 4 compatible formula that can damage the older seals.

Not all brake fluid is synthetic. Some bikes call for mineral oil brake fluid and nothing else.

That being said, all your DOT 3/4/5/5.1 fluids are synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back