Inexpensive insulation for attic

Status
Not open for further replies.
My roof"s composite shingle and it faces South. what can I put inside,on the 2X4's ,so that it blocks heat from the roof? I want to go inexpensive. Any Redneck idea is welcomed too as long as it's safe.

I was always told you shouldn't put insulation against the underside of a roof. Because it traps heat under the shingles. There are systems that address your problem. If you have room, you can take 2" styrofoam 4' X 8' sheets and nail them to the 2 X 4"s long ways. Start at the bottom and go up the roof line. Leave the very top open and have a good ridge vent.
I would not use the spray foam insulation on the underside of the roof. Too many horror stories from the smell. IDK......
Google attic styofoam insulation. There are some good videos on this. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
It sounds like you need attic ventilation not insulation. Gables, roof vents, ridge vents, etc., all kinds of attic ventilation systems out there. Normally you would insulate the floor of the attic to stop heat from going into the attic, but if it doesn't get too cold, then it's not a big money saver.

Airflow first, but once that is taken care of, you can install reflective barrier (looks like aluminum foil but is more durable) to block heat from radiating down into the home. HOW you install it will just depend on what you've got access to. It's generally cheaper than blown/roll insulation and a lot less dusty to handle.

Originally Posted by daves66nova
My roof"s composite shingle and it faces South. what can I put inside,on the 2X4's ,so that it blocks heat from the roof? I want to go inexpensive. Any Redneck idea is welcomed too as long as it's safe.

Do you have an attached garage?

What 2x4 are you talking about? Ideally you want to put insulation in top of the ceiling under the roof. Blown in cellulose is the cheapest and you can rent the blower at Home Depot. DO you have proper ventilation like sofit vents and a ridge vent?

Some would install a fan on the gable end with a thermostat.

Un-faced fiberglass insulation is the cheapest. However be forewarned that air leaks through the exterior walls/doors/windows combined with HVAC in the attic and/or leaky air ducts in the attic can depressurize the house which pulls in warm outside air.

I'd think ventilation is what you need, but you live in the south and maybe things are a bit different. But I'd increase the soffit vents, add a ridge, and insulate the attic floor. Maybe add a fan in the gables for the worst of times, get some crossflow.

Originally Posted by daves66nova
Any Redneck idea is welcomed too as long as it's safe.

A "redneck idea" is probably the worst thing to do to a roof.

Attic venting is more than just throwing up a bunch of vents or insulation. There's one right way to get it balanced and lots of wrong ways to get it unbalanced. Find a professional and get their advice so they can look at it and determine what it needs.

A roof/attic is not the place to cheap out or go redneck.

Plant a shady tree? if there is land.

That is the nerdy NOT redneck idea I can think of.

Last edited:
I don't know about the OP's area but I wouldn't want a tree next to my house. Leaves and/or needles clogging gutters, or making a mess on the roof. Branches falling off. Tree falling down into the house at the worst time. Roots getting into the septic system. Trees look nice but they can be a nuisance.

Originally Posted by supton
I don't know about the OP's area but I wouldn't want a tree next to my house. Leaves and/or needles clogging gutters, or making a mess on the roof. Branches falling off. Tree falling down into the house at the worst time. Roots getting into the septic system. Trees look nice but they can be a nuisance.

OP lives in LA (SOCAL). More like palm trees.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back