Spark arrestor clogged solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing how performance can go from just fine to no power at all in just a few hours of run time. I could tell cause their was very little air coming out the exhaust, like just enough to let it idle. Funny cause it did this a couple months back and I out it back on the trailer then grabbed another one and used it a couple days later and it worked fine.

Hopefully now I'll get more rpm out of it. These idiots keep putting gear reduction gearcases on these trimmers and you lose half your rpm. We need speed not torque, well both is fine too with the 1:1 ratio. Not 2:1

Gear reduction a problem? Meh either that or you have a heavier head doing it.

I don't need no stinkin' spark arrestor. If I set a fire, I manage to notice it, because I have seen pictures of fires and hear descriptions, like an urban myth I am sure i could figure out a fire by tasting and touching it, (LOL as if I wouldn't notice).

Anyway, do the arrestor pull, or get a new muffler, and/or clean the exhaust port and expect the rest of the muffler to be aging. Your call.

It's a trade off, more oil mix ratio and you save the bearings but clog the exhaust more. I can live with that instead of the flywheel colliding with the coil.

These are the little things one deals with when something runs a long time, that there is oil carbon residue buildup. Any 2 cycle has a finite lifespan shorter than an equivalent quality 4 cycle, a case contrary to the norm of more complexity meaning more to break and probably sooner.

Last edited:
My OLD Lawn Boy 2 cycles love 30:1. Weed eater gets that too. My old mowers have the magnesium decks and are easy for my wife to start.. Mosquitoes don't care for them though.

I once cleaned out an old Lawn Boy where carbon filled up the exhaust port. That thing ran forever afterward.

I accurately measure out the 32:1 that I use. Some guys just splash a dollop of oil in the gas and call it good. That's why carbon issues come up.

I don't make up a whole gallon at once. I use an old liquor bottle with calibrated marks to fill the gas, then oil. That way the gas is fresh and I can see what I have.

I'll be 100% honest. I run my stuff at 50:1 and have never blocked the ports or spark arrestor. My most used Echo trimmer is almost 20 years old and got a lot of use back in the day when I did lawns. Its perfectly clean inside.

Most of the time these are blocked its too much oil. Running 32:1 in a modern engine designed for 50:1 is not good for the engine. To the contrary, it actually shortens its life span. Carbon build up breaks off and scores the cylinder, lowering compression.

It takes a while for it to happen. About 3 years running them everyday. I run 40:1 typically.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Any 2 cycle has a finite lifespan shorter than an equivalent quality 4 cycle, a case contrary to the norm of more complexity meaning more to break and probably sooner.
Nonsense.

Originally Posted by wag123
Any 2 cycle has a finite lifespan shorter than an equivalent quality 4 cycle, a case contrary to the norm of more complexity meaning more to break and probably sooner.
Nonsense.

It's a shame I never put hour meters on the two strokes, because looking at the hours on the mowers I know most of the hours are on them.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I don't make up a whole gallon at once. I use an old liquor bottle with calibrated marks to fill the gas, then oil. That way the gas is fresh and I can see what I have.

Note to self: if visiting Kestas in Detroit, think twice about accepting a belt of Jack Daniels while in his garage.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by wag123
Nonsense.

It's a shame I never put hour meters on the two strokes, because looking at the hours on the mowers I know most of the hours are on them.
Have you ever had any experience with Toro commercial 21" mowers with the Suzuki 2-cycle engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back