Any Experience Mixing Different Brands of CVT Fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking to do a drain-and-fill on my CVT for my 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer. Castrol's Transmax CVT fluid meets the "MMC DIAQUEEN Fluid J4" spec that is required by the manufacturer and is one of the most affordable options I can find that meets this spec.

As with any drain-and-fill procedure, a considerable amount of old fluid will remain in the transmission even when drained in areas such as the torque converter — my question is regarding the assurance that since Castrol's fluid meets manufacturer specs, that when the remaining OEM fluid and the new Castrol inevitably mix, there will be no ill effects on overall fluid performance (as in reactions between differing OEM and Castrol fluid chemistries).

I was told directly from Castrol that "Castrol cannot guarantee compatibility with competitive fluids as we do not know their proprietary formula, therefore we recommend a complete drain of the transmission and re-fill with CASTROL Transmax CVT Fluid."

Does anyone have experience doing drain-and-fills with differing brands of fluid? Was Castrol's response just the "safe" answer to go with? I paid a dealership $178 at ~37,000 miles for a drain-and-fill service (invoiced for 4qts fluid + labor), but the OEM fluid alone if I were to go the DIY route is $18.50/qt while Castrol's is $5.05/qt)

It will be fine. You can mix them with no problems
smile.gif

Of course, if you really want to, you can do 3-4 consecutive drain and fills, with a little driving in between each one

A year ago I used the Castrol for a drain and fill in my daughters Nissan Rogue. Been running great with no problems.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
It will be fine. You can mix them with no problems
smile.gif

Of course, if you really want to, you can do 3-4 consecutive drain and fills, with a little driving in between each one

This may be the route I go just to be on the safer side; do a few CVT drain-and-fills along with my regular OCI until the fluid is virtually all Castrol, then return to manufacturer recommended CVT fluid intervals.

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by walterjay
A year ago I used the Castrol for a drain and fill in my daughters Nissan Rogue. Been running great with no problems.

Good to know. I just can't resist that $150 in savings knowing I could do it myself!

I serviced a well used 2015 Altima (Hertz 80K) twice with Valvoline Synthetic. Worked great.
Last time I used Castrol. Worked great.
Your CVT will thank you.

I used Amsoil cvt fluid in my Nissan Quest. I asked their tech department and was told it could safely be mixed with any of the fluids they listed it as being a replacement for.
Obviously the more new fluid you get in there, the better.
I usually do a drain and fill, drive around for 10 or 15 miles, then another drain and fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cronk
I used Amsoil cvt fluid in my Nissan Quest. I asked their tech department and was told it could safely be mixed with any of the fluids they listed it as being a replacement for.
Obviously the more new fluid you get in there, the better.
I usually do a drain and fill, drive around for 10 or 15 mikes, then another drain and fill.

Thanks for the recommendation, this will probably be what I end up doing instead of a drain-and-fill timed with each of my regular engine oil changes as I was thinking before, and just do it all over a weekend after a couple trips where the new and old fluid gets a chance to mix together, then return to manufacturer recommended CVT fluid intervals after 2-3 of these quick changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back