How to kill single tree only without harming others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this, what I call, "weed" tree that I'm trying to kill that was about 20-25' tall...before I cut off the branches!

smile.gif

Now, I'm left with about six (6) sawed off branches about 6' tall. I want to kill this tree only so maybe in a year or so, the roots have loosed enough that I can either dig it out or use a cable come-along to pull the branches out by the roots.

On one side of the tree, about 6' away, is a palm tree and on the other side, about 6' away, is a pine tree. I want to kill this tree only without harming the health of the other two trees.

I'm thinking of making fresh cuts on the remaining 6 branches and then immediately painting some sort of herbicide, etc., on the cuts so the tree sucks the chemical back to its roots and kills it?

Suggestions on how best to kill this pesky tree?

Thank you,
Ed

I've killed weed trees by cutting 2 inches deep, all the way around the trunk-that cuts off nutrient flow to the upper part of the tree, it dies, then start cutting off the dead branches, then the trunk, down to the ground. Takes a year or two, though.

Garlon (triclopyr) ester in diesel fuel. Cut the stumps near the ground and paint the stump with the mixture. It will be absorbed by the cambium layer and kill the roots. I believe Ortho has a product with Triclopyr.

Tordon RTU will also get the job done.

There is always the very slight risk that trees of similar species close together can have root grafts and the pesticide will translocate into the other tree. This shouldn't be a problem with different species trees, but be careful. Follow directions. More is not better.

Google Cut stump treatment: I.E.,
https://mdc.mo.gov/blogs/more-quail/are-you-using-right-cut-stump-herbicide
https://cals.arizona.edu/extension/ornamentalhort/landscapemgmt/prunning/cutstump.pdf .....talks about root flashback

Glyphosate hasn't worked as well for me in this application. Plus, it causes cancer in California
21.gif

You can't just cut it flush and then grind the stumps? Should be pretty simple, and a stump grinder will make short work of whatever you can't get with your chainsaw.

Originally Posted by billt460
Pound a solid copper "nail" into the trunk about a foot above ground level. You can make one out of a piece of 3/8" or so diameter copper bar stock.
I thought you hammered a copper pipe in the tree and filled it with dish soap.

I certainly *might* just cut it down, especially if I'm not comfortable that an herbicide won't harm my nearby trees.The Tordon Herbicide that "doitmyself" suggested above sounds promising, so I think I'll research that more and see if that might, safely, do what I want.

Ed

I was told by a landscaper that if you debark a complete ring around the trunk the tree will dies quickly. Not sure if true as I have never done it.

Don

Six deep 1/2 holes at 45 degrees around the trunk ... use a 6 ounce super syringe to fill holes with Round Up daily

Originally Posted by Dadillac
I was told by a landscaper that if you debark a complete ring around the trunk the tree will dies quickly. Not sure if true as I have never done it.

Don

That method does not work on melaluca trees (also called paper-bark or tea-tree oil trees)

I cut down some willows at ground level and then drilled holes in the stump. Poured 25% Triclopyr down the holes. Nearby trees are fine and willows dead. Willows can be pesky sometimes because of the roots but so far all is good.

Ed I swear the dude in the shop next to me single handedly kills a single tree every week. Every time I see him in the shop he is constantl running back and fourth to the printer.
If you want to chemically Kill a tree it's very easy. Pramatol

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by billt460
Pound a solid copper "nail" into the trunk about a foot above ground level. You can make one out of a piece of 3/8" or so diameter copper bar stock.
I thought you hammered a copper pipe in the tree and filled it with dish soap.

Never heard about the dish soap part of it. But a copper pipe will certainly work..... If you can get it into the trunk. Depending what kind of wood the tree is. Copper pipe can easily bend and collapse when pounded with a hammer, because it is so soft.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I think we need pictures of the offender and the innocents next door.

You are correct. We assume it is a troublesome tree that might resprout from the roots or stump. He might simply need to cut it down and that is enough.

Regarding drilling holes, etc., the chemical is absorbed by the very tiny cambium layer on the outer circumference of the stump. Minimal chemical is needed. Triclopyr supposedly does not get root flashback to harm nearby trees.

[Linked Image from mdc.mo.gov]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back