Recently installed metric signage on US Interstate

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago I was traveling on I-265, one of the spurs that loops around Louisville, KY when I noticed the road signs had changed to metric for about a 5-10 mile stretch. I've not traveled this route often or recently, so I can't say for sure how long the signs have been there, but it looks like an area of the interstate that has been redone recently.

I'm aware of some areas of the US that retain metric signage from decades ago when the US was exploring switching over to metric, but I'm certain these road signs have been installed in the not-too-distant past. Of course in areas near the border it's common to see metric, but I'm baffled as to why they chose metric as the dominant unit (with imperial in parentheses) in this area of northern KY, 400+ miles from any border. The speed limit signs were in MPH, I never thought to check the mile markers; they are probably in miles too.

Anyone see anything similar in other places, or is there a reason why the road signs are done this way?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

thumbsup2.gif

Looks like someone finally got around to being proactive about switching to the Metric System. About time.

Or -- could be a test of peoples' reactions. Middle of America, Kentucky probably chosen as least likely to approve the change.

I speculate totally, but that's my take.

As much as i really do like the metric system I like more the fact that america is different from the rest of the world because of how we measure things. We dont have to be like the rest of the world just because they want us to be.

Originally Posted by joegreen
As much as i really do like the metric system I like more the fact that america is different from the rest of the world because of how we measure things. We dont have to be like the rest of the world just because they want us to be.

Plus we have had people walk on the moon, something that a country which uses the metric system hasn't done.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Plus we have had people walk on the moon, something that a country which uses the metric system hasn't done.

Well there is this...

Screenshot_20190915-192617_Chrome.jpg

Truth is, the US actually does use the metric system, the general populace just doesn't know it or use it themselves. Science, medicine, and industry all use it. Had a buddy that worked in a local commuter train factory, all measures were in metric.

I agree. While being different is not necessarily better, we do have something pretty awesome going on here!

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
Had a buddy that worked in a local commuter train factory, all measures were in metric.

Standard rail is 4 foot, 8 and 1/2 inches across. It's a standard measurement and it's used in North America, Western Europe, Australia, much of North Africa and China.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

The Apollo Guidance Computer that helped put the man on the moon was programmed using SI/metric system.

And in 2007, NASA officially declared that, going forward, they'll be using metric units for all operations on the lunar surface.

The power industry as far as temperature goes has been metric for 40 years but....., still for me to relate to any temp different than 25c I have to convert it.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by A_Spruce
Had a buddy that worked in a local commuter train factory, all measures were in metric.

Standard rail is 4 foot, 8 and 1/2 inches across. It's a standard measurement and it's used in North America, Western Europe, Australia, much of North Africa and China.

I have no idea what factory A_Spruce is referring to or the company but I'm confident that what he/she means is just about everything except the "span" between rails. Even that may be done in metric now - 143.51 cm. The imperial measurement will no doubt have a tolerance and the tolerance can be converted/adapted to metric just the same. The parts and/or assemblies that they design and manufacture will be done in cm or mm vs inches.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

I'm aware of some areas of the US that retain metric signage from decades ago when the US was exploring switching over to metric,

No exploration involved. The Metric Conversion Act was passed by Congress and signed into law in 1975. It was effectively repealed in 1982.

It is interesting to see new signage appearing.

If memory serves back in the early days of the automobile it was decided that spark plugs would be metric and tire sizes would be the kings inch Haven`t Googled it tho.

... my understanding of rail gauge goes all the way back to the Roman age. The wagon ruts and wagon track width started it all. Google it.

Last edited:
I had to smile when I saw this, the ironic fact is that "Exit 32" is named so because it is ~32 miles from the start point of the freeway, so while they seemed to push for metric, it was not as much as they thought.

The cost of going full metric it the US would be high, and there would be a lot of confusion for the first decade or so.
While I deal with the metric system all the time at work (medical filed dealing with ml and mg, ug and such), I still have a hard time with speeds, distances and temperatures in metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back