New steering wheel, 2014 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 6 year old factory leather wheel on my 2014 Mustang was all cut up from my pocket knife rubbing against it and it was just generally gross and wouldn't come clean. I did some research and found the 2013 Boss 302 wheel would work since mine is a Premium GT. The Boss wheel is alcantara and all the switches are the same except for an extra "ok" button next to the phone hang up button, which I never use anyway. My mom insisted on buying it for me as a birthday present since I am absolutely terrible to shop for and the only other present idea I gave was a $35,000 full motion racing simulator, like I said I am terrible to shop for. I ordered it through my work, perks of being a parts person, as well as new hardware. Took a week to come in but I wasn't in any hurry. I finally got the parts in and had Friday off so I swapped wheels over. All the videos online from the Mustang parts pages say it should take an hour or so, but it took me about 15 minutes, which about 10 of these were spent walking back and forth to my garage to get a different socket or extension. Obviously my cost on the parts was a lot less because of working at a dealer and getting everything at employee cost.

Part numbers:

DR3Z-3600-AA, BOSS 302 alcantara steering wheel MSRP is $542.90
W506411-S424, airbag retention bolts, pack of 2, $3.30
W705985-S437, steering wheel retaining bolt w/threadlock, $10.00

Tools needed, 8mm socket, pick, 24mm socket, impact gun, ratchets of your choice, extensions, and torque wrench.

The install is pretty straightforward.
Make sure steering wheel is straight and level. Lower windows and make sure doors are unlocked.
Open hood and remove negative battery terminal, 8mm.
Remove side airbag bolt covers with pick.
Remove airbag retaining bolts, 8mm.
Pull out airbag and remove 2 color coded connectors.
Remove clockspring to steering wheel switchpack connector.
Use impact gun to remove 24mm steering wheel retaining bolt.
Steering wheel will pretty much fall out at that point, just fish the wires through the pass through hole at the top of the wheel.
Install new wheel without moving the clockspring. Fish connectors through opening in the wheel.
Thread on new wheel retaining bolt, torque is 41ft-lbs. I used my impact to snug it and held the wheel with my left hand while tightening bolt.
Reconnect the switchpack to clockpring connector.
Reconnect the airbacg connectors, they are color coded so you have to try to put them in wrong.
Slide on the airbacg and line up the new bolts in their side holes, torque is 62in-lbs.
Pop bolt covers back on.
Reconnect negative battery terminal and start car to verify all the buttons work.
WASH HANDS BEFORE NEXT STEP!!!!
Remove protective covering over the new wheel, it is alcantara to dirty hands will leave grease all over.

It was really easy and the wheel feels really nice. One thing that is a bit weird is when the car was parked in the sun with the old wheel, the whole thing was as hot as the surface of the sun. Now only the metal trim pieces are hot while the alcantara is cool to the touch. Everything works great and the buttons keep the MyColor settings where you can change the interior colors as well as the gauge colors. I will try to snag a night picture later tonight. I did new airbag bolts because my car had the Takata driver's airbag recall done before and the tech that did it I swear left them loose.

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Looks nice. Now remember to wash your hands and how did your pocket knife rub the old wheel? Only thing I can think of is getting in and out and the clip gets it?

Yup, usually when I can't open the door all the way from someone parking too close. I don't think to take the knife out or slide it into my pocket until it is too late.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Buy a brush and Alcántara cleaner from Sonax to keep it looking nice.

That's the plan.

NICE!!
thumbsup2.gif

In order to get an alcantara air bag equipped wheel in my car I must either re-cover the factory one using a Redline goods cover, or buy one of those 'square' shaped ones from SS Tuning out of eastern Europe. [:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back