Cleaning slider pin bore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious on how everyone else cleans the slider pin bore - especially after the pin has been stuck. I typically clean with a wire brush and brake cleaner until the brake cleaner is coming out clean. Then dry with compressed air. Is there a better way? Is there an easier way?

On my car, it's rubber, so I don't have that problem.

You should try a hex-shank tube brush and attach it to a drill. It would make short work of cleaning.

If a slide pin seizes, I replace the caliper
smile.gif

Otherwise, I just re-grease them. But I am considering replacing the slide pins every time from now on

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If a slide pin seizes, I replace the caliper
smile.gif

Otherwise, I just re-grease them. But I am considering replacing the slide pins every time from now on

Why would you want to replace them, if they are not seized? If you lube them properly with silicone, the chances of seize pins would be slim.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
On my car, it's rubber, so I don't have that problem.

You should try a hex-shank tube brush and attach it to a drill. It would make short work of cleaning.

Thanks for your feedback. I use a hex shank tube brush (HF) but don't put it y on a drill. In the future I think I will start with a drill bit like in the video below and then follow up with the brush.

Originally Posted by painfx
Why would you want to replace them, if they are not seized? If you lube them properly with silicone, the chances of seize pins would be slim.

Because there is still too much of a chance of them seizing, and I hate rust
cry.gif

I pull the pins out and spray in some brake cleaner. Then use a piece of paper towel wrapped around a screwdriver or drill bit as a "tampon" of sorts to clean the bore.

Someone told me a soft gun bore brush also works too. I might do that next time. I don't use that Permatex green/lilac crap on my brakes or anyone elses/

Was just going through my "plumbing stuff" bin and ran across one of these

[Linked Image from p1.cdn.hardwareandtools.net]

Think that would work for cleaning the bores ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
I pull the pins out and spray in some brake cleaner. Then use a piece of paper towel wrapped around a screwdriver or drill bit as a "tampon" of sorts to clean the bore.

Someone told me a soft gun bore brush also works too. I might do that next time. I don't use that Permatex green/lilac crap on my brakes or anyone elses/

You got that right nthach. That green,red, purple goop will swell those pin bushings to where they are very difficult to remove.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by painfx

Because there is still too much of a chance of them seizing, and I hate rust
cry.gif

What state are you from?

Brass firearm bore brush of the appropriate size should do the trick. Mounted on a drill or not. Shouldn't hurt a thing so long as its an iron bore and not a rubber lined one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back