Replace tires before selling car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may be selling our Fusion soon, and the 1348 date code Pirellis are dry rotting and very close to the wear bars. They will make it fine until later this year when the winter tires go on, but will need to be replaced by springtime. If we choose to sell, I'll likely do a private sale, but may trade it in if we get a decent offer. Would new tires make any real difference to the average buyer? Being a "car" person, I'd rather have the seller knock the price down and use the money to put on the tires I want, but the average Joe just wants to see black tires with tread I assume. Tires would be middle of the road, about $300 installed Nokian Entyres fwiw.

+3 let the buyer pick the tire. They'll probably "stretch" to make the payment for the car and appreciate being able to drive for a month or two before paying yet more.

Only wildcard is if you have a real rough ride on the old bologna skins. Car's gotta drive good.

Originally Posted by eljefino
+3 let the buyer pick the tire. They'll probably "stretch" to make the payment for the car and appreciate being able to drive for a month or two before paying yet more.

Only wildcard is if you have a real rough ride on the old bologna skins. Car's gotta drive good.

Car definitely does ride a bit rougher than before. I notice it because I drive it all the time. But someone else may not have a clue.

It totally depends on the buyer. If I were buying it, the tires would definitely be part of the negotiation talks. Conversely, I have sold vehicles where the buyers hardly even looked before taking it home with them.
21.gif

I've only sold family members' cars and only once was a fellow prompted to come look at one due to a quality tire he recognized. (a Bridgestone Turanza)

However, he also wanted it's color combo and a particular accessory. (dark green/sand interior + rear spoiler)

Who shops for a 2011 Fusion w/90K? That might help you decide.

Include "AS IS" or even a sentence mentioning that the customer was told that the tires are bad and that's why the price is so low.

Mark 'em with paint or chalk X's if you have to. Don't let them label you the bad guy.

Without a doubt leave them alone. Let the next person buy whatever they want. Let them have any warranty that goes with them. Nothing irritates me more than buying a car with junk new tires. I know I'm stuck with them... without a warranty.

If the next person can't be bothered with replacing tires, they shouldn't be buying privately anyway...

And if someone tries lowballing you on the tires, just say, yeah, I'll think about it, I have your number, been getting lots of emails to sort through.
laugh.gif

No need to buy new tires. The next person who buys can get new tires and a warranty.

They may use that against you as a negotiating point, but it will come down to if you want to accept or not.

save the new tire point for a negotiation deal no one pays asking price, they all try to low ball and dont feel like they "won" unless you come off your price. new tires for that car would be ~400/set /$60+mount and balance+tax+disposal.

thats your wiggle room.

It's an old car...

If private party sale:
-Get the cheapest tires possible, and advertise as "New tires!!"
-I bet you can get a sub $200 deal on installed tires if you look enough
-Better yet, get some lightly used name-brand tires for cheap

If trade in:
-Don't do anything. The dealer will NOT give you any more in trade for tires.

Last edited:
We either give away to a family member or sell an inspectable vehicle or it goes to a local scrapper for whatever we can get. Also we don`t let tires get to the tread bars.

Originally Posted by Klutch9
We may be selling our Fusion soon, and the 1348 date code Pirellis are dry rotting and very close to the wear bars. They will make it fine until later this year when the winter tires go on, but will need to be replaced by springtime. If we choose to sell, I'll likely do a private sale, but may trade it in if we get a decent offer. Would new tires make any real difference to the average buyer? Being a "car" person, I'd rather have the seller knock the price down and use the money to put on the tires I want, but the average Joe just wants to see black tires with tread I assume. Tires would be middle of the road, about $300 installed Nokian Entyres fwiw.

It gets down to the inspection regime in your state, and how that affects resale value.

Here in MD, vehicles are inspected only on change of ownership, but it is a requirement of the new owner getting new plates. As a result, an inspected used vehicle sells for a lot more than an uninspected vehicle, because a.) it can be immediately be registered and on the road and b.) no expensive surprises just to get it registered.

We're car guys, and the replies are showing that. Of course bitog'ers would want to put new tires on themselves after buying the car, because we're picky about tires, oil, filters, etc. New tires already installed would be real appealing to the average joe. Would you make the money back? Not sure, but it could help make the sale in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back