Coolant Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 Intiniti qx 60 hybrid...new ish to us for a year. 70k. Tranny was hesitating more then usual. Determined it needed a new tranny.
We did buy a warranty when we bought it with it's age (and my lack of skills ; )
Dealer had it for way too long, 3 weeks... said only 1 guy was certified to work on hybrids. I guess the battery went when it was there so that
was on the house too.

Had it for a day and it smells like maple syrup! Must have had breakfast in it...

Previous cars that indicated coolant. Could that be it or is that something that burns off?

Total bill was 5k. For once all the stupid money decisions I made this one worked out.

I don't see that coolant smell resembles maple syrup, but everyone is different and that may be how you perceive it.

After any heavy maintenance, it's good to look over things carefully and search for leaks, things not properly fastened and so on. Mechanics make mistakes, that's for sure.

Check your coolant levels regularly, and in the same way (cold or hot) and make sure it remains at the same level. Remember, the level changes when it's hot. It might help to make a line and chart any loss.

As a general rule, water does evaporate from cooling systems, albeit, very slowly. It's not unusual to have to add a little water after a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back