Windshield Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
OP here... I've called 5 "local body shops" this morning and they all subcontract their glass work to one of two companies. I emailed both yesterday morning and called both today. No return email and don't answer their phones. LOL Seems like they're busy enough and don't want mine. Looking closer to rolling the dice with Safelite...

The dealer quoted me about $1000 for non-OEM glass and $1200 for OEM. If I had cameras and such it'd be more! Whew!

$1000 for non-OEM glass is a ripoff unless the work is STELLAR.

Had my rear windshield redone by safelite at the cost of the tint shop. You can tell there's distortion in the class - it's nowhere near OEM quality but it's not horrible either. However, part of the urethane or whatever they use to stick the window on the body, you can see it looks like they nicked it with a knife and just let it sit like a pimple sticking out.

The glass is typically installed by robots at the factory right? (one robot lays out the perfect urethane bead, and then another robot suctions the glass and installs it with perfect alignment)

And 99% of the time we're driving, we're looking through the windshield.

But somehow the glass repair industry thinks it's acceptable to make the outcome only 75% of what we're used to seeing.

SMH

Originally Posted by nthach
There's a Mygrant near me in Oakland, and their headquarters isn't far away either. I've heard of people walking in there and buying glass if they aren't a shop or installer.

You can even buy urethane on Amazon but I wouldn't trust it.

I get the urethane from Mygrant but they only sell it by the case of 10. They usually expire in 6 months so I end up listing the extra on Ebay. 2 for $16.

I used windshieldstogo.com last time because they promise OEM quality glass. I got a Fuyao that looked just like the original windshield (which was made by PPG) and just as good quality. Windshields2go is just a broker that uses a local installer. The installer was one guy operating out of a van. He did a good job.

Safelite offers OEM upon request

Called another dealer about 45 minutes away. They contract out to a place a block away from them. $385 out the door, lifetime warranty on work, the dealer said they do a great job and customers rarely have issues. The only bad part is I get to hang out there for 2-4 hours next Friday morning in my day off. Oh well, I'll get some coffee and breakfast with the money I saved...LOL

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Safelite offers OEM upon request

Only if you're willing to pay the extra or OEM is the only game in town for your car. Safelite does stock Honda and Subaru OEM windshields since those tend to be problem children with their ADAS.

I think a lot of folks miss the point that the care and quality of the removal and replacement of a windshield is more important than the quality of the replacement glass itself.

I can't say all safelites are bad, it's just that I've seen enough terrible hack jobs from them that I'd fear using them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
OP here... I've called 5 "local body shops" this morning and they all subcontract their glass work to one of two companies. I emailed both yesterday morning and called both today. No return email and don't answer their phones. LOL Seems like they're busy enough and don't want mine. Looking closer to rolling the dice with Safelite...

The dealer quoted me about $1000 for non-OEM glass and $1200 for OEM. If I had cameras and such it'd be more! Whew!

$1000 for non-OEM glass is a ripoff unless the work is STELLAR.

In this day and age of ADAS, even aftermarket glass is pushing towards that point with recalibrating the cameras/sensors that make the whole thing tick. Still though. For that much, I expect new OEM mouldings, clips, rain sensors/gel packs(if so equipped) and very meticulous prep.

Originally Posted by 4WD
We have lots of gravel pits and hauling around here … so guess what … have an independent auto glass place that normally does good work … appointment required
Just getting home a few days ago and noticed nothing noted wrt "acoustic" like the OEM glass

Hi 4WD … a correction to make. Took a picture of the info section … zoomed it up.
Turns out my favorite independent did select "acoustic" for my $249 deductible …
And yes, after getting out of that Tahoe into an otherwise loaded and nice new Pathfinder rental …
Tahoe is indeed quieter

Originally Posted by atikovi
I've replaced windshields myself for the last ten years (ave. 2-3 per year) so I can be sure it's done right.

How does one manage to go through that many windshields?

I've had windshields replaced on all my cars many times by Safelite, and I've never run into an issue. Always good quality glass, installed with care, and done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back