Realistic max Wi-Fi speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious as to what everyone's experience is for maximum Wi-Fi speeds, as in file transfer speed (MB/s). My home network encompasses a few PC's and lately I've been sending some big files across that might benefit from newer Wi-Fi technology. But how much an improvement is hard to gauge since speed ratings advertised are most often theoretical or best case scenario. I seem to max out at about 250-300 Mb/sec presently.

What are your real world transfer speeds, and what router or wi-fi speed (ACxxxx)?

I can get up to 20 MB/s between my laptop and my media server which is hard wired into the router. The laptop has a 300 Mbps (theoretical max) wifi card. Router is Netgear R7000 (AC1900). I could probably get faster speeds if I had a better wifi card in the laptop.

[Linked Image]

From my laptop to either my server or media center, my speeds are ~35Mbps up and ~45 Mbps down.
This is a basic Intel wireless ac 3160 card to a Linksys 1900AC running DD-WRT testing to gb wired computers. My wired connection between computers is gigabit speeds.
Weird thing is my Wifi Status in the card properties says speed is 390 Mbps (I guess that is theoretical).
I am using a program called LAN Speedest

Currently maxing out my fiber limit @ ~500Mbps on a realtek 8822BE and a NetgearR7000. Not sure on the absolute limit, haven't reached that yet.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I can get up to 20 MB/s between my laptop and my media server which is hard wired into the router. The laptop has a 300 Mbps (theoretical max) wifi card. Router is Netgear R7000 (AC1900). I could probably get faster speeds if I had a better wifi card in the laptop.

Just tried on another laptop, this one with a newer Realtek 8822BE wifi adapter... getting about 48 MB/s down and about 45 MB/s up.

My old Macbook Pro (mid-2014) will do ~20MB/sec connected to an HP Aruba 207 access point about 15ft away, which is roughly 160Mbit. System information shows a Broadcom 43xx card that supports Wireless AC and shows I'm connected at 867Mbit, which seems quite generous given the age of the computer.

This is the AP side of things. Remember, wireless is half duplex and with overhead, this seems appropriate.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by buck91
Through my phones web browser connected to our WiFi. Only slightly slower than the hardwired results.

That's just the speed of your internet service. Your WiFi speed may be higher than that.

My wife will get 100 to 113 out of our Spectrum 100 Mbps service over our wifi on the on her old Win 10 computer with a newer USB wifi card.
I only have done a couple daytime test on my Mac and consistently get just over 80 Mbps.
The above is on the 5 Mhz band, second floor of our home, router on first floor but safe to say within 30 feet just a different floor.

2.5 band and you will find yourself always lower, with that said, 2.5 band will have better signal, so if your having range issues and using the 5 band, switch to 2.5.
There are too many variables to compare your service with other people, every home is different but, at least you can get an idea of what you should be able to get and those results are always attainable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back