Why does being angry makes my driving more precise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the title suggests, when I am agitated or semi-angry, my driving becomes more precise. For example, if I'm in a situation where an emergency maneuver is required or during bad weather, my reaction time is quicker. I also subconsciously become more aware of my surroundings. I will admit that I have anger issues in general, driving or not. If I am behind the wheel when my anger starts becoming too much, I pull over and take a breather.

I would wonder if you should be driving ever that last statement is almost unbelievable.

adrenaline. Imagine if every day driving was like your first time with a learner's permit. It'd be exhausting!

I don't necessarily have an anger issue, but after many, many near misses from inattentive and possibly impaired drivers, I'm generally expecting something bad to happen. It's nice to get out in the country where it's a little safer, driving in the city is EXHAUSTING!

Originally Posted by eljefino
adrenaline. Imagine if every day driving was like your first time with a learner's permit. It'd be exhausting!

I had a feeling adrenaline was a factor, but I didn't want it to be the only one.

In regards to Dave's response, I have never been at fault of any traffic accidents in the 13 years that I have been a licensed driver. (I have hit deer and been t-boned by an unlicensed person on the phone and one guy who ran a stop sign though.)

Originally Posted by dave123
I would wonder if you should be driving ever that last statement is almost unbelievable.
I've never even heard of where OP lives, how bad can it be?

Originally Posted by wheelman1991
I will admit that I have anger issues in general, driving or not. If I am behind the wheel when my anger starts becoming too much, I pull over and take a breather.

You need to see a mental health professional. You're a hazard to everyone else on the road.

I highly doubt that I am being hazardous. I'm not cutting people off or tailgating, nor am I driving 10-15 under or 15 over the speed zone. (5-8 over is still considered acceptable by Leo's in my locale.)

I try not to get angry to the point I have blinding rage lol. It's already bad enough as a commercial truck driver.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
I try not to get angry to the point I have blinding rage lol. It's already bad enough as a commercial truck driver.

Exactly, I don't let myself get to that point. To clarify, I don't drive like Elwood blues running from the cops. I just feel more focused when my blood pressure and heartrate are elevated.

Originally Posted by wheelman1991
I highly doubt that I am being hazardous. I'm not cutting people off or tailgating, nor am I driving 10-15 under or 15 over the speed zone. (5-8 over is still considered acceptable by Leo's in my locale.)

Well, the Volvo 240s I remember were somewhat slow (non-turbo?), best advice is-stay alert, don't get mad, the bad other drivers are either on something, distracted, or idiots who ****. Don't take it personally!

Wheelman, you're trying to drive too many vehicles at once. Be prepared to react to the incompetent drivers that surround you rather than expect them to do what you think they should be doing and then trying to "teach them" a driving lesson. A collision,regardless of who has the right of way, is a hollow victory.

Watertown NY is 8 miles south of an army post. Since driving is my actual job, I see (and have to safely react to) plenty of examples of poor driving. (Cali rolls, people playing with the phone, 30 in a 55 then the same car doing 55 in a 35, no signaling of turns etc. etc.)

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Well, the Volvo 240s I remember were somewhat slow (non-turbo?), best advice is-stay alert, don't get mad, the bad other drivers are either on something, distracted, or idiots who ****. Don't take it personally!

My Volvo is on par with a 90's ranger with a 2.3 and a stick, or a Saturn sl1. So yes, it is definitely not fast.

Last edited:
Paying more attention to what you're doing, besides if you're going to get mad about poor drivers, then generally you aren't going to do the same things they do.

Trolling.gif

OP,
having driven in Chicago traffic for years and now adjusting to the ATL GA traffic, I would say:

-you only need to do a head heated mistake once
-you only have to find a one off angrier than you guy/gal once

or:
-you could live longer
-became a funny songs composer (my car is better than youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurs)
-became a successful rhymes/poems writer (slow, bow, meow, tow, car, bar, scar)
-consider each drive around a vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back