Help me rest my mind guys PLEASE .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on Honda forum last couple day and I though about this so much , that it start to bother me , peoples over there told me that I'm using wrong oil weight on my 2011 Honda Accord i4 122k miles , oil cap say 0w20 and owner Manual say 0w20 in ALL TEMP , no where in owner Manual say I could use other weight . They say I should stick with the oil weight that say on the cap for the life of the car because of the vvt engine or what ever it call.

Most of you know I'm currently running Mobil 1 hm 5w30 with Mobil 1 oil filter . Should I switch Mobil 1 hm 0w20 next oil change and keep it there for the life of the cars ?

I usually use what the owner manual say using oil weight depend on your area temp . But this Honda owner manual say 0w20 for all temp , what's that bother me. Peoples over there on Honda forum strictly follow what Honda say . Help me rest my mind guys .

Be careful what you read on message boards/forums, and avoid following blanket statements. Ask questions, and most importantly do your own research.

FTR I agree with dave123.

Last edited:
MetalSlug,

How is the Accord running with the 5W30?

Is the Gas mileage just as good or better?

Is it NOT sluggish at low RPM's?

If that's all good, you are good to go !

No harm will be done.

Now If you put 20W50 in there I might say - WHOA!

I think it is going to blow up in the next 5 minutes even just sitting still not running, and you should go out there and change it right this second to the right stuff...
28.gif

Put the 0W-20 in per the manual next oil change. If it improves, and is no longer "sluggish" you have found your answer. And you'll sleep better knowing you are doing what the manual recommends. It is obviously bothering you somewhat now that you're not. Oil is not worth losing sleep over.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
It's sluggish at low rpm. It ran smooth once it going . I don't know . Mabe it just little i4 . Thanks guys .

Oil may be too thick then, or it needs a tune Or maybe it just too hot in Texas
smile.gif

Thick oil retards the cam timing at a lower RPM than design intent causing loss of low end torque but a boost in upper midrange and high RPM power.

It's fine. The thinner oils are generally for CAFE standards, and for proper VCT operation. Could the sluggishness be from the oil being slightly too thick for the VCT phasers? Possibly. Are you going to hurt anything by using 5w30? Absolutely not. With that being said, for that engine, if you arent using oil, and if it isn't worn out, there really is no reason to use anything other than what's recommend unless you are racing or something.

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in our Honda for the last 10 years. No issues summer or winter in Pennsylvania.

You have been on here for nine years and closing in on 3000 posts, i'm sure you already know the answer to this.

5w30 should pose no problems what so ever in your climate.

If you feel your car is sluggish there most likely is other issues than oil.

Last edited:
I was on Honda forum last couple day and I though about this so much , that it start to bother me , peoples over there told me that I'm using wrong oil weight on my 2011 Honda Accord i4 122k miles , oil cap say 0w20 and owner Manual say 0w20 in ALL TEMP , no where in owner Manual say I could use other weight . They say I should stick with the oil weight that say on the cap for the life of the car because of the vvt engine or what ever it call.

Most of you know I'm currently running Mobil 1 hm 5w30 with Mobil 1 oil filter . Should I switch Mobil 1 hm 0w20 next oil change and keep it there for the life of the cars ?

I usually use what the owner manual say using oil weight depend on your area temp . But this Honda owner manual say 0w20 for all temp , what's that bother me. Peoples over there on Honda forum strictly follow what Honda say . Help me rest my mind guys .

35.gif

12 years actually . My very first account got ban . And the owner of this site she unban me . But the mod ban again. The owner of this site and I very close . I Haven't able to talk to her for many years now .

Originally Posted by hemitom
You have been on here for nine years and closing in on 3000 posts, i'm sure you already know the answer to this.

Originally Posted by hemitom

12 years actually . My very first account got ban . And the owner of this site she unban me . But the mod ban again. The owner of this site and I very close . I Haven't able to talk to her for many years now .

So what were your multiple bans for?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
35.gif
36.gif

Exactly.

OP, you've been here long enough to know that in other countries, with the exact same engine, 5w-30 is a good choice.

I mention I was " drunk last night " . The mod say no alcohol talk allow here , I still remember that email he send me til this day .

Few years later I made this account and . He ban me for having 2 account . The owner of this site knew about it and unban both of my account . She use to message me when my birthday .

Anyway the mod only allow to have 1 account here , but I rather have my first one . Time go by , I really don't care which account active any more .

I remember this forum . Every years which ever member birthday coming up , we all made a thread and every one say happy birthday and having really great conversation .

I remember everything was simple back then ,

1 : pure 1 gold flake can is best oil filter
2 : wix oil filter is $5
3 : FL280s was taller
4: PYB is best oil for cleaning slug engine
5: autoRX is best cleaning engine additives
6: max life is best HM engine oil
7: fram is first oil filter with wire back
8: amsoil is best synthetic engine oil and filter no one can afford
9: 5w30 oil weight is TOO THIN . 10w30 all years recommend all years round lol.

10. Every one on this board have OCD or develops OCD and hoarding oils lol . Every time we go to auto part stores and always walk out with a quart of oil even though we have 5 years worth of oil change home lol . Good old day .

Back then we all having this ocd where we want the best of the best for our engine , we drain brand new oil because it wasn't good enought , I have to leave this forum for few years to get back my normal life . Til this day I still effect by it some time lol

Last edited:
It's sluggish at low rpm. It ran smooth once it going . I don't know . Mabe it just little i4 . Thanks guys .

There are a lot of (more likely) things that can cause poor idle or sluggish acceleration (like a failing EGR, injectors, dirty O2, clogged fuel filter, dirty TB etc.) besides oil viscosity.

Going from a 20 to a 30 shouldn't be an issue. At best the 150c viscosity is maybe +0.5, which I don't believe is thick enough to starve the engine or cause any measurable increase in heat (maybe at some of the very very tightest clearances). And the 5w is more than adequate for where you're at, it's still going to get pumped up to the top rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back