A con a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last three weeks I have received phone call from a very contrite "nephew" in jail looking for bail $$, someone from Microsoft telling me they had detected a virus on my computer and a foreign sounding dude telling me I owed IRS thousands of dollars and law enforcement was on way to arrest me unless I paid up pronto(with some kind of a card from Walgreens). Just keeps getting better and better.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I've always wished I could meet one of these people face-to-face.

Scott

A trip to India or Pakistan will accomplish this.

Just dont pick up. If you dont pick up, they cant verify your number is active and used by a person. If you pick up and interact in any way, even if that means stop calling take me off the list etc, they still know its a valid number and can resell it.

I have my iPhone set up to silence unknown callers. Basically if not in my contacts, it doesn't ring. I just get a notification and sometimes they leave a voice mail. Got 11 calls last week...

Pick up the phone.
Wait 5 seconds.
In a monotonous voice say, Good Bye.

Do that enough times and the caller database sees an invalid number and takes you off the call list.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Over the last three weeks I have received phone call from a very contrite "nephew" in jail looking for bail $$, someone from Microsoft telling me they had detected a virus on my computer and a foreign sounding dude telling me I owed IRS thousands of dollars and law enforcement was on way to arrest me unless I paid up pronto(with some kind of a card from Walgreens). Just keeps getting better and better.

I get around ten a day. I don't answer the phone anymore. I miss the days when most people worked for a living and didn't try scamming people of their hard eaned money. like they do today.

Originally Posted by Lubener
I don't answer the phone anymore.

I only answer when it shows the caller is in my contacts, or will rarely answer if I know someone is going to call me who I don't have in my contacts. If it's important they can leave a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back