Is there such a thing as unlimited mile lease ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Is there such a thing as unlimited mile lease ?

Yes its called buying the car and paying cash!

lol.gif
too true.

I believe there are commercial leases with unlimited mileage but the leases are structured differently than personal leases.

For the right price you can get just about anything. Might not be cheaper but you can ask and will receive from someone.

Lots of leases have unlimited miles. They're just 55 cents each.
lol.gif

Enterprise has a deal with Uber where you can rent a car for ~$225 a week-- check into that. Might get the Elantra of your dreams.

I don't know how high they'll go on paper, but lease terms can be modified (to an extent) to what ever you want to pay for.

So you want to rent (lease) a vehicle for 2-3 years and buy a bunch of miles to put on it?

That sort of twisted financial logic has never made any sense to me whatsoever.

Does leasing EVER make sense? I have a friend and he has to borrow the wife's car so he can stay below 12k miles, all for about $4600 a year. I just don't understand the draw to leasing, but then again, I'm cheap.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Does leasing EVER make sense? I have a friend and he has to borrow the wife's car so he can stay below 12k miles, all for about $4600 a year. I just don't understand the draw to leasing, but then again, I'm cheap.

Sure. For the right person and their needs.
Sounds like a lease was the incorrect choice for your friend.
A lease is simply paying for depreciation.

I was fully prepared to purchase our GS450h; I generally hate leases.
At the end, we leased the car. Why?
Lexus lease money. They wanna see you again in 3 years and they know they can easily sell a good used Lexus.
Hedge against technology shift (hybrid).
I looked at it as $900 insurance policy to walk away or buy in 3 years.
Was it the best choice? I am ok with it.

Friend of mine owns his own business and puts 20k a year so he bought new. Every year he trades it in with most spent was 10k and that is for s fully loaded vehicle (F150). I asked him if he ever got one for even and he told me when I trade truck it will be an even swap cause he just purchased low mileage Volkswagen (gas less than 20k) so when truck is sold to dealer he would get new one for free. He got a new Taurus for tax and license. He has since traded it even for a car to pull behind his motorhome. We always have said he was smarter than the average person.

Originally Posted by philipp10

Of course it makes sense. There are a bunch of valid reasons to lease rather than buy.

For example,

- Lack of space/time/tools to wrench on out-of-warranty vehicle.
- High wear-n-tear on local roads.
- Tax reasons
- Perceived/actual long term reliability is low which hinders re-sale value.
- Immediate but essentially temporary needs for a certain type of vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I was thinking about leasing and enjoying it for 2-3 years and drive the heck out of it.

Just buy a car (you can finance it if you want to), "drive the heck out of it," and sell it whenever you want. It's the same thing. You'll only pay for the depreciation of the car, which is exactly what leasing is..

I drive new every 1-2 years apart. Why?

1) Because it pleases me to do so.
2) Because I can.

Leasing works quite well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back