Do not buy !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some pressure pot blasting out side for the last couple days on a fabricated project . I always turn my regulated air pressure up to 125 when I'm doing this from my normal pressure of 90-100.
Well this morning I came out in the shop to find that during the night this pos regulator had failed and allowed full 175 psi into my regulated system. I'm not real keen on putting that much pressure on my 4 hose reels and this is the second Dixon regulator that has failed in the past 2 years. The first one leaked like a seive where the 2 halves mate together. I'm sure Dixon just puts their name on these as I've seen the same regulator with other names on them. Anyone got a link to a good Wilkerson, Parker or any quality US made 1/2" regulator with out drier or lubricator. Even though I turn the power off at night this could have been a bad dealeo.
[Linked Image]

Wonder if you could adapt the first stage of a scuba regulator to do what you need more reliably for cheap? They are designed to deal with 2800ish-5000+PSI tank pressure (depending on the type) and step it down to two low pressure ports (primary regulator and octopus) and two high pressure ports (typically bcd and emergency signal or a drysuit).

I switched my hose and fittings supplier recently to Green Line Hose and they sell some Dixon products. I just bought a regulator from them and it is house branded but probably supplied by Dixon. It does not look like the one in the picture posted above.

What ever the next one is that I buy is going to be a US made unit where the manufacture is proud enough of their stuff to put their name on it either in a casting or at least a sticker.
I think back at the big ole Binks regulator that my dad had in his body shop for 40 years. Had Binks cast right in the front of it and it was chrome plated. That regulator probably got setting changes a gadzillion times and as far as I know he didn't have any troubles.
After all this trouble that I've had with this Dixon I think there is also something to be said for their plastic choice of materials too.

My regulators/filters/oilers are Nordgren and Parker with Festo regulators at the drop end. All USA made and the Festo are German, never any trouble, I guess the only trouble is price, they are not cheap.

Backing up Dave ...
I have inter- stage intercooler.
No after cooler before compressed air enters the comp tank. (Soon to change). Between the 80 gallon compressor tank and the 60 gallon storage tank I have an oversized Quincy water separator.
The regulator in question is on top of the 60 gallon storage tank. Regulated air then goes through a 21' long after cooler before it goes into my wall vertically through a T. Directly below the T is a 2" sweat 16" long drip leg with valve at the bottom. The 3/4" sweat then goes vertical to a level 10'6.5" off the floor and shoots across the shop to the second vertical leg with the same drip leg at the bottom. The system works like a frogging dream because all of the condensate is collected fro the main tank drain and what's left is collected in the Quincy water separator. The only filtration that I use is on a paint gun .I never have had even a drop of consistency drain from the stareage tank nor either of the 2 drip legs.

Trav... at this point price is some what moot. This time I'm buying good American S. 99% of American made goodies don't leave you with junk that Dixon has left me with here! Shop regulators as well as your compressors should ALWAYS be a once in a life time purchase. Not this junk!

That's one impressive setup you have there.

I just bought an Ingersoll Rand. No idea on how good or bad the regulator is, but I'll keep this thread in mind.

Why are you using yellow hose and not ridgid line? and where the F is the drip leg on the cooler?

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Why are you using yellow hose and not ridgid line? and where the F is the drip leg on the cooler?

I'm thinking same on hose.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

I was told it keep compressor vibrations away from the hard lines. When I installed mine the air compressor company advised me to do the same thing and made me a 1" high pressure hose with crimped fittings.

I'd hard plumb the storage tank 1/2 inch pipe minimum get that regulator away from the tank and filtration before the regulator. But that's just my opinion

Your setup is awesome......I don't know where all the "Hardline" stuff is coming from. Compressors produce frequencies/vibrations that don't play well rigid connections!!

As was stated.....Parker, Festo, Binks for regulators! I've even used Aeromotive fuel pressure regulators way beyond their rated inlet pressure for low pressure test stands.

The Maint Dept. in our WalMart Distribution center switched over to all Quincy compressors, holding up fine.
11.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Your setup is awesome......I don't know where all the "Hardline" stuff is coming from. Compressors produce frequencies/vibrations that don't play well rigid connections!!

As was stated.....Parker, Festo, Binks for regulators! I've even used Aeromotive fuel pressure regulators way beyond their rated inlet pressure for low pressure test stands.

Everything hard line only vibration control is right off the compressor that's it I'm not bashing setup looks all nice and pretty it's just not efficient or correct. Just my option that's all but what I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back