Who has gone Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides tig1, who here has went to Mobil 1 and never went back? I've personally never used it, but there's no particular reason why. Admittedly I'm just bored and want to talk about it.

Originally Posted by Red91
Besides tig1, who here has went to Mobil 1 and never went back? I've personally never used it, but there's no particular reason why. Admittedly I'm just bored and want to talk about it.

I mostly use M1, but not exclusively. I've tried others, especially if on sale, but I always return to it. My engines have always done very well with it for long term use.

I started using Mobil I after it became available in northwestern New Mexico in I think 1978. Popular Science ran an in-depth article on synthetic oil sometime before that, and I decided that was the way to go since we put a lot of miles on our vehicles living in the middle of the Navajo Indian Reservation. No engine failures with about fifteen new vehicles. Currently have Mobil I AFE 0W-30 in my Camry V6. Will change to 0W-20 for fall oil/filter change. Works for me.

I wish the vanilla Mobil 1 15W-50 was sold in Europe, here we only have the Racing 4T version which is hard to get and has no Moly.
If it were available in Europe i'd probably have both my cars on it.

Last edited:
I have used Mobil 1 twice...once to try it but it made start up very noisy. I currently have it in my SUV because I got the EP for dirt cheap when Autozone put it on clearance. Not loyal to any brand.

It's ok. I have used it a couple vehicles. It is a noisy oil compared to others. I prefer pennzoil platinum over it, but if M1 is on sale that is fine.

I remember Mobil 1 high miles oil is really popular here , and it one of the top high miles oil here because of the add pack , I don't know it still do or not here .

I ran it exclusively in my Mustang, in varying grades. I ran it probably 90% of the time in our Expedition with the odd switch to something else "to try". Always went back. It's the only thing since the factory fill that has gone in our new RAM, in the EP 0w-20 variety.

I've never noticed one particular oil to be noisy versus another. I think that's a symptom of ocd, not of oil quality. I have however noticed that some engines are noisy, and there's nothing you can do to quiet them down besides shutting them off.

Didn't you use afe 0/30 in the expedition most of the time?

Yep, it was the best performer in it, with no consumption between drains and fills. It drank Amsoil AZO 0w-30 like water, which was bizarre, and that was over multiple test OCI's to see if the consumption would go down. I also ran M1 5w-20 (once), Delvac 1 5w-40 (twice) Duron-E 0w-40 (twice), M1 0w-40 (twice) and Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 (once) in it. All other OCi's were M1 AFE 0w-30.

I buy it because the rebates that are commonly offered make it as cheap, if not less expensive, than anything else comparable. For example I recently purchased a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0w-40 and used a $5 discount coupon at Walmart as well as submitted for the $12 rebate.

Price with tax: $24 - $12 - $5 = $7

They make it easy for me to continue to purchase their products and know that I am getting a quality oil at an exceptionally good price.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Didn't you use afe 0/30 in the expedition most of the time?

Yep, it was the best performer in it, with no consumption between drains and fills. It drank Amsoil AZO 0w-30 like water, which was bizarre, and that was over multiple test OCI's to see if the consumption would go down. I also ran M1 5w-20 (once), Delvac 1 5w-40 (twice) Duron-E 0w-40 (twice), M1 0w-40 (twice) and Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 (once) in it. All other OCi's were M1 AFE 0w-30.

I'd love to know why M1 0w40 and 15w50 are $3~ apart at China Mart. Stepdad noticed this at NC Wal Mart
frown.gif

It's all I use, mainly due to rebate and sale price at Costco. Makes for cheap oil.

If you ever frequent the Napa sales, 0/40 and 15/50 are the same price. I think ep vs regular is priced different though. If I were to buy some it would be through the Napa sales because I can get it delivered. I just about can't stand to get out anymore.

I used Mobil1 about 95% of the time since it came out in the '70's but recently switched. There were times, when we were poor, I couldn't afford it when regular oil was about a dollar a quart and Mobil1 was $6. Not disappointed with the recent switch.

used it for5 years in my cts,the problem was it only came in one quart bottle which ended up being 3 times more than the equivalent of valvoline,castrol ex which do come in a gallon sized bottle and for a d.d car its just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back