Is Red Line 0w40 worth it over or Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wonder of RedLine oil 0w40 will worth it instead of Castol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 ?
It bit more pricey ... but.. is it going to protect better and last longer ? And yes.. have to decide sweet spot between money and effectiveness?

Originally Posted by Cheburashka
Just wonder of RedLine oil 0w40 will worth it instead of Castol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 ?
It bit more pricey ... but.. is it going to protect better and last longer ? And yes.. have to decide sweet spot between money and effectiveness?

About 40% + more pricey and you'd have a real fun time proving that it really gave you anymore protection other than Redline infomercials.

No, not at all, however if you move to the 5w40 then you really have something. The guys running these 40 weights in the 6.4 hemi have found that 0w40 redline is nothing special, but the 5w40 really quiets those engines down. If you look at the formulas in redline, the 5w30 and 5w40 stick out on the stat sheet and the engine. 0 winter 40 weight oil noack 9 hths 4, 5 winter rated 40 noack 6 hths 4.4.

Ravenol 0w-40 has been quiet and smooth in my 6.4L and I'm going to keep running it I think, based on its performance. Like Redline, it's based almost entirely on PAO, however unlike Redline, it is actually approved for this application along with myriad Euro OEM approvals.

Ummm... Redline was or is supposed to based on POE but I have been corrected, the engine oils are primarily PAO.

POE's cling to metal better, are natural seal softeners, have built in cleaning traits and handle water intrusion better.

PAO's don't stick to metal, don't absorb water, and need either conventional or POEs added to hold additives in suspension.

Edit: Esters do not swell rubber, but they help keep rubber soft and supple. High mileage oils carry an amount of POE because of that.

Edit 2: My info about Redline is out of date, and my opinion about their oil is wrong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21
Ummm... Redline is supposed to based on POE. Unlike PAO that most synthetics use.

POE's cling to metal better, are natural seal softeners, have built in cleaning traits and handle water intrusion better.

PAO's don't stick to metal, don't absorb water, and need either conventional or POEs added to hold additives in suspension.

It's not though. It is almost entirely PAO based.

This is a previous MSDS sheet before they "revised" them recently to obfuscate the contents:
[Linked Image]

Those two bases that constitute up to 90% of the blend are both PAO's.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Ummm... Redline is supposed to based on POE. Unlike PAO that most synthetics use.

Where are you getting your information?

Originally Posted by BillyE

Where are you getting your information?

See revision to the quoted post above.

That's depressing. Though I noticed the stuff they sell in the big parts stores doesn't really talk about esters on the packaging.

Their gear oils still proudly boast they are Ester based.

Did they go all PAO and POE, or is it PAO, HC and POE?

That's depressing. Though I noticed the stuff they sell in the big parts stores doesn't really talk about esters on the packaging.

I believe the product has been probably almost all PAO based for a very long time, likely with a decent slug of POE on top of it to provide the benefits that it affords. I doubt the product has ever been majority POE based, simply that it had enough of it in the blend to be significant and thus warrant mention. Mobil's old "Tri-Syn" formula was at the time remarkable for including three different synthetic bases in various quantities: PAO, POE and AN's as another example.

I haven't really used Redline engine oils for several years, beyond gear lube and their greases.

MTL/MT**, CV2 and their assembly lube are great

Edit: Changed my original post, thank you for the information everyone. Always something new to learn.

Honestly based on the new info, I regret nothing with my stash of Edge 0w40.

Last edited:

I believe the product has been probably almost all PAO based for a very long time, likely with a decent slug of POE on top of it to provide the benefits that it affords. I doubt the product has ever been majority POE based, simply that it had enough of it in the blend to be significant and thus warrant mention. Mobil's old "Tri-Syn" formula was at the time remarkable for including three different synthetic bases in various quantities: PAO, POE and AN's as another example.

Yeah, years ago when I talked to Redline, they said it was POE and PAO, simply because of cost, but they said it was a significant portion of the mix.

But then when I asked them, I had to special order anything Redline, and it only came in white bottles.

So I wonder if they've clawed back the amount of POE to make it cost acceptable.

One also needs to consider at what percentage POE becomes "significant". Even if it is 10% of the blend, that may afford significant improvements in various aspects of performance thus would make the use of the term appropriate
smile.gif

Why is it that all the SDSs I can find say "synthetic lubricant base oil" with no specifics at all?

That is very true, it seems the ester additives boost conventional oil at 5L to 500ml booster.

Ester additives?

I don't think anyone can actually know what percentage of ester is contained in Red Line. The SDS shows 99% non hazardous so it could be anywhere from 1%-99% Ester with PAO taking up the difference. What I consider a 100% synthetic oil, there are very few out there and they cost more. Who would have thought it? I'm guessing there is next to no ester/pao in most easily available, heavily marketed synthetic oils, especially those that cost the least. If there were significant quantities in any of the major brands you could be sure it would be shouted from the rooftops in their advertisements. The Casstrol you can pretty much count on being whatever is cheapest contained in the bottle, they probably buy Supertech in bulk and re-bottle it, possibly add some magnet dust as a special ingredient and for marketing.

Here's an SDS of which I speak.

https://w3apps.phillips66.com/NetMSDS/ViewPDF.aspx?fileName=829143&Language=EN&IssueDate=7%2f2%2f2015&SubFormat=USDS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back