Do you leave the ends for last, on sliced bread?

Wonder (pun intended) if most people take from the inside the loaf and leave the two end pieces for when nothing else is left, or if it's just me. Keeps the interior slices from drying out as much is my thought.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by Kira
That's the reason. The last 2 sandwiches get a heel each.

In Swedish the word for the end slices is "CANT". I was warned to get it right.
I hate the heel/normal sandwich, the heel sandwich is alright for some reason. I need symmetry in my sandwiches!

I think ZZman already asked that question.
lol.gif

Good crusty whole grain bread we'll fight over it. Toasted with tuna fish spread fresh sliced tomatoe salt pepper don't get much better lunch for today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
....just a little more chewy.
Originally Posted by maxdustington
I hate the heel/normal sandwich, the heel sandwich is alright for some reason. I need symmetry in my sandwiches!

How is it different than a (hamburger) bun ?

Keeps the interior slices from drying out as much is my thought.
Yes, although on the round/oval bread I buy, these end slices are quite small. But yes, I do start with the middle slices and work my way toward the ends.

[Linked Image from nantucketbaking.com]

I used to use them as "mold covers" But I haven't had sliced white bread in ages.

I don't think its good stuff.

Now a crusty Italian loaf I love.

Wife is No wheat gluten free so no bread to be found in the Cabin.

I have non GMO organic corn chips like late July ( though I like On The Border best and FritoLay are absolute garbage)

No Wonder why I go bonkers If I go to an Italian Restaraunt I go nuts on the bread!

Used to frequent a wonderful Italian Joint in the North End of Boston in the 80's. It was fantantastc

Sorrento's on Hanover St. Best Italian I've ever enjoyed.

Wonder (pun intended) if most people take from the inside the loaf and leave the two end pieces for when nothing else is left, or if it's just me. Keeps the interior slices from drying out as much is my thought.

been doing that most of my life

Depends.

Wife and kids won't eat the ends, but I finally got them trained to stop throwing them out--I paid for a whole loaf of bread, ends included. I often will microwave an egg and put it onto a slice of toast; an end works well enough there. Otherwise I'll make PB&J with it. But I rarely will eat two ends at once in a sandwich.

Now for homemade bread, usually the end is the first thing to get eaten! Slice that off, dab some butter on it... usually there is a contest as to who will get it. After some experimentation we found that just slice as needed, and leaving the loaf upside down on the cut end, yields the longest life--just leave it on the cutting board, on the counter. Don't know why but it works. Might not last as long as stuff in a bag, but way yummier. [Only problem is, getting slices small enough to make a sandwich with--which is why we haven't made any in a while.]

My bride and I have unofficially decided to save them for last except we both love them, so they rarely last until the loaf is gone.

I keep them in the bag to keep the center fresh. Once just the heels are left, they go to the chickens. To dry & nasty to eat, IMO.

The "heel" sandwich goes best with a very rich filling like braunschweiger (which tends to overpower spongy regular slices).

Back