Mequires - Scratch X for headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headlights on my '12 Jetta were getting a little cloudy (nothing crazy - just a slight haze) so today decided to try some Meguires Scratch X 2.0 on them after a car wash because I had it out to remove some very fine scratches on the body.

Color me impressed - except for a bunch of very small road rash chips the clarity went to pretty much brand new with no notable haze. Only downside now is while the Scratch X bottle does not indicate wax is needed afterwards, it appears some online forums recommend it as the Scratch X is not a wax product in itself - and unfortunately I don't have any wax in house currently so going to have to make a run to the auto store to get some wax.

Now I don't know how this would work on severely yellowed/crazed lenses as mine was in the beginning stages of cloudiness so your results may vary.

Meguiars PlasticX followed with 303 Aerospace Protectant. After every car wash, reapply the 303.......
smile.gif

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Meguiars PlasticX followed with 303 Aerospace Protectant. After every car wash, reapply the 303.......
smile.gif

Aerospace 303 is my go to for interiors, however it will just wash off in the rain. So using it as a headlight protectant wouldn't be my first choice.

Thanks all - before next go around I may try to find the Meguiars PlastiX and just get some good wax to coat them after. My headlights were not bad enough to require the fine grit sand down it was just the beginning stages of hazing. Hoping I didn't destroy the entire factory UV coating to now I am going to be fighting an uphill battle with my lights.

Wax will be gone in a matter of weeks, a sealant is required. An exception to that would be Collinite #845 or #925.

Pepsodent toothpaste 99 cents a big tube at Christmas Tree Shops. I also brush my teeth with it.

Anything with abrasives in it will work to clear clouded headlight lenses, it's just a matter of if you're doing it by hand, which would require a more aggressive abrasive, or doing it with some sort of electric polisher, which would allow the use of a less aggressive polish...

You can repeatedly use gimmicks every month or so. They will make your headlight lenses nice and clear...until the gimmick wears off. Then you're back polishing, rubbing, etc all over again.

What's fading is the clear coat that was used wherever the headlight lens/assembly was made. Most of the headlight cleaning kits are a waste of time and money. The ones that work like you want them to are the ones that include sandpaper and a UV protective coating. Don't buy the creams, polishes, pastes, etc. They look good initially, but the luster fades fast.

The most cost efficient as well as the longest lasting method is as follows.

#1. Tape/mask off the headlight lenses like you would a body panel you were about to paint.

#2. Water sand the entire plastic lens with 800 grit sandpaper
Follow up with 1000 grit...and again with 1500 grit. No need to polish or do anything else beyond the sandpaper. All you're doing is sanding any existing clear coat off the lenses.

#3. Coat the lenses with a good UV resistant clear coat. About 3 light-medium coats will suffice.

You'll have less than $20 in the project that will last a long time.

Last time I did my wife's Mazda 6....it looked great for 5 years. We bought at new vehicle, so I did them again when I put it up for sale. The buyer thought the front had possibly been wrecked because they looked new....so I had to show him pictures of what I did to ease his mind.

If people would keep their headlights waxed regularly there would be no problems, keep them waxed people!

Originally Posted by Malo83
If people would keep their headlights waxed regularly there would be no problems, keep them waxed people!

Amen!

It's amazing how many people do nothing to protect exterior vehicle surfaces...and then come around later and are surprised/frustrated/upset about the damage caused by UV and other things that result from a lack of proper care. Often it's followed by the blame game. Some simple things can avoid all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back