Wanted: Inexpensive car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
A few I would look at:
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/saint-louis-2005-acura-tl/6978769334.html
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/saint-charles-2001-toyota-camry-v6-1900/6978535700.html
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/bridgeton-2008-toyota-scion-xb/6978126100.html
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/hillsboro-2005-pontiac-sunfire/6977853279.html
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/sedalia-2001-toyota-avalon-xls-very/6975250134.html

Avalon, sunfire, and scion don't have plates and are probably being flipped. The avalon in particular is very dealer-in-your-face.

Check insurance on that acura.

I had a 2000 camry V6, same body style, amazing quality in that body style that has only gone downhill since.

The scion of course is the newest of the bunch and simple, which counts for a lot.

I'll be in a similar position as you next year for my oldest.

Out of curiosity, what trouble do you see with CL? It seems to me that the $5 post fee has cleaned up the riff raff posts, but I haven't contacted anyone though. I filter on private sellers only

Since they instituted the fee, I've only run across one "selling my new QX70 for $3k due to divorce" ad.

Try Facebook and even post on Nextdoor

Look for a Pontiac Vibe. Same as a Toyota Matrix but cheaper. Older Ford Fusions are good too, because they are Mazda 6's with different skin.

Keep in mind your asking a forum of mostly 50+ men what car you should get an 18 year old. That's why they are suggesting American malaise mobiles and Toyota Solaras, the Solara is the new 3.8 GM W Body on this board. The average teenager is not going to choose a car first, especially if they are a country bumpkin.

GMT400 or 800 truck, or Jeep. Ford Escape is actually a great choice, small SUV that has been made semi-obsolete by CUVs that is still OK on gas? I think an 18 year old of either gender would happily drive an Escape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Elkins45
Loved the recommendation of a PT Cruiser instead of "foreign junk." LOL

Hondas and Toyotas have such ridiculously high resale value precisely because they are anything but junk. Ironically their resale value is so high they have sort of priced themselves out of the market to me. I ended up buying new because the cost/value ratio was higher than a 10 year old Toyota.

Besides, my last three 'foreign' cars were made in Canada and Mississippi. My 'American' car was made in Mexico.

100 Percent agree! I was in the same boat a few months back looking for something cheap (for insurance purposes) for my 16 year old son. Every Toyota or Honda I found was priced insanely high. Yeah I know they are good, but they simply were too much mileage for what they were asking. I started looking for American cars with reputations for descent reliability and ones who typically would have been owned by people who garaged them and saw to basic maintenance. Crown Vics, Mercury Grand Marquis, Buick Lesabre, Olds 88 etc. Wound up finding a 2003 Buick Lesabre with the 3800 for reasonable money. Only 80K on the clock and appears to be garage kept with paint, headlight lenses etc showing garage care. Have put almost 1K miles on it since buying and it seems to be a descent old car. Everything works on it. Runs strong, shifts smooth AC will freeze you out. The intake issue that some 3800's have, doesn't seem to be affecting this car; knock on wood. All I've bought for it is a new radiator cap and set of wiper blades.

Found it on Facebook marketplace. I would suggest that as a good starting place. BTW it took me a while to find this car. Lots of junk out there too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Well, you may have to look out of your area for an early 2000's Corolla(2003-09). Maybe you can find a good example that is also easy to fix but, it's very difficult to find any vehicle for a few thousand bucks. To me, anything that cheap is just cheap junk and already used up.

But, they're out there. You know, that creampuff(or cherry) that has low mileage for its age and well maintained, like having things replaced when broken and not left for the next owner to fix. However you must look hard & long and expand you viewing area while being willing to travel some.

You may even find a car that's so good you won't want to give it up!
laugh.gif

+1

2003-2009 Corolla. Not sure you will find one with low enough mileage for that price, but my 07 is still solid as a rock with 275,000km (171k miles) on it. Its also easy to work on and my local scrap yard has a good number of them you can get parts off (corollas, matrix's, vibes with same parts).

An "inexpensive" car can end up being very expensive.
I would figure out what is important; gas mileage, body quality, etc.
Hondas and Toyotas have the Honda/Toyota tax; there is a reason for it.

Perhaps your family or friends have something that might fill the bill.
If you can step up to $4K you will have many more options.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by sopususer
Originally Posted by Elkins45
Loved the recommendation of a PT Cruiser instead of "foreign junk." LOL

Hondas and Toyotas have such ridiculously high resale value precisely because they are anything but junk. Ironically their resale value is so high they have sort of priced themselves out of the market to me. I ended up buying new because the cost/value ratio was higher than a 10 year old Toyota.

Besides, my last three 'foreign' cars were made in Canada and Mississippi. My 'American' car was made in Mexico.

100 Percent agree! I was in the same boat a few months back looking for something cheap (for insurance purposes) for my 16 year old son. Every Toyota or Honda I found was priced insanely high. Yeah I know they are good, but they simply were too much mileage for what they were asking. I started looking for American cars with reputations for descent reliability and ones who typically would have been owned by people who garaged them and saw to basic maintenance. Crown Vics, Mercury Grand Marquis, Buick Lesabre, Olds 88 etc. Wound up finding a 2003 Buick Lesabre with the 3800 for reasonable money. Only 80K on the clock and appears to be garage kept with paint, headlight lenses etc showing garage care. Have put almost 1K miles on it since buying and it seems to be a descent old car. Everything works on it. Runs strong, shifts smooth AC will freeze you out. The intake issue that some 3800's have, doesn't seem to be affecting this car; knock on wood. All I've bought for it is a new radiator cap and set of wiper blades.

Found it on Facebook marketplace. I would suggest that as a good starting place. BTW it took me a while to find this car. Lots of junk out there too.

Disagree. 2015 Venza 25k miles LE V6 model, very good condition, I paid 20k. Brand new it was 45k or more...depends what you look at I guess.

I'm assuming a few thousand dollars is around $3000?

2007-2012 Nissan Versa hatchbacks or sedans can be had for that with around 100K miles on them. Get the 4spd auto as opposed to the CVT.

Very basic cars. Wear item parts are cheap.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Lots of options around here in the 1999-2010 age range. On Craigslist there's a 2002 Mustang with 181K on it listed for $3500, a 2008 Impala with 141K on it for $3800, a 2010 Escape with 172K on it for $3800 and a 2003 PT Cruiser with 107K on it for $2000. Any of them would be a good first car for a kid, and you don't have to shoehorn him into foreign junk.

If you really want to step it up, there's a 1973 Charger that looks pretty clean and straight for $8000. That one looks like an excellent candidate for a full on restoration. I would not recommend it for a kids first car though.

Foreign junk...okieee...2008 impalas= trans problems, PT cruisers=junk, an 02 mustang...seriously?

Besides like others have said...my 07 corolla= made in canada, 2015 venza= made in Tennessee.

OP here- Thank you all for your input. unfortunately people are asking for two or threefold of blue book/Edmunds/nada/eBay For most Honda Toyota cars. I started looking at some older Buick/impalas But most of them that popped up on craigslist were on their last legs.
I am not on Facebook however my wife is, I will use her account to look at the marketplace. Did not know there was such a thing! I am willing to drive to pick up something in good shape however I have driven out plenty of times in the past month to find something very differently than advertised unfortunately. Please keep me in mind if any of you comes across something interesting.

Thanks!

97-01 Camry and Avalon

A good unicorn to look for is a Lexus ES300, it's mechanically a Camry but since they aren't as well known, the price can be as good or better than a Camry.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
This. Craigslist started charging for car ads and there are way less "cheap" cars than before

That's because the $2,500 2015 Accords and $1,500 2012 Corollas were scam ads.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
Please keep me in mind if any of you comes across something interesting.

Thanks!

I do have a 2017 Chevy Spark posted in for sale section here from a few months ago. Great for a new driver and could deliver.

Depending on where the kid lives, what the kid will do and how far he drives I will give a few offbeat recommendations
(Remembering as a kid I was glad to drive any car even a Yugo or Citicar and an automatic wasn't even an option)

First off Not all Honda's are priced that way.
A Gen I Honda Insight is almost always under $2000, aluminum body and 400,000 mile ready, battery died? Just disconnect it and car drives on, just make sure you don't live in an area where they tax the crap out of this type of car.

A newer Cobalt XFE with no options 5mt only is very reliable just need to replace the timing chain every once and again. I would be delighted to sell my 2010 with 118k on the clock for $2000 and I'm certain you can find this Saturn clone inexpensively in your area.

The new Mitsubishi Mirage (2014+), the most popular car in its class
despite the high asking prices they can be picked up for $2000, they are very simple cars with minimal maintenance

If your area is like mine and half the cars are Buick's, if maintained and recalls are done they are quite reliable and the only automatic I would recommend

Although rarely $2000 (usually $3000+) an older EV like a leaf, IMIEV, can be cheap and hassle free and is a perfect way to ensure he doesn't drive more than 20 miles away. Just make sure your area doesn't tax the crap out of the cars before proceeding.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/efficient-cheap-beaters-used-car-ads-35-mpg-30489.html

PT Cruiser!? The Diamler Chrysler economy monstrosity on a base Neon chassis with the rusted out leaf springs, weak chassis, sub par brakes, 4 popper that blows head gaskets while you watch, and an AC system designed by some sort of fallen angel? Well thanks for that, needed a laugh today!

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by donnyj08
This. Craigslist started charging for car ads and there are way less "cheap" cars than before

That's because the $2,500 2015 Accords and $1,500 2012 Corollas were scam ads.

Obviously, anyone with half a brain knew what was a scam and what was legitimate.

I think you missed the logic I was getting at.

If you are selling a legit $1,500 car why would you pay for an add when you can post it for free on Marketplace, where the majority of $1,500 car shoppers are anyway?

Craigslist's charging has reduced the amount of affordable older cars.

Seriously though Honda, Acura Lexus or Toyota normally aspirated products from the late 90's to mid 2000's are your friend for this. Sometimes Lexus variants actually goes cheaper then the Toyota's used too. Keep an eye out for an ES300/330 or the IS/GS300 maybe with cosmetic issues such as sun bleached and cracked dashes that won't impact the reliability but will keep cost down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back