Engine burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My engine is burning oil and there is oil ash on the spark plugs and i dont know if its valve stem or piston rings, if i tried motor doctor 9990 made by Mannol and smoke and burning stops or oil burning is reduced does that indicate that the Piston rings are worn

I think the BITOG diagnosis team will need more information such as: the make model year and miles on the vehicle. Length of ownership and some past history and more details.
cheers3.gif

1998 Mitsubishi lancer with 272000km had engine rebuilt or hauled at 250000 and it started burning oil again

Go back to the rebuilder and ask him the following:
Where the rings replaced? If so where oversized rings used?
Where the cylinders rehoned?
Where the valves or valve guides replaced?
Are the valve caps/seals new?
Was a new cylinder head gasket installled?
Was the cylinder head also rebuilt?

The oil is coming from the rings, head gasket or valve stems. Dry and wet compression testing can narrow it down.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
judging by your location (Egypt) cold starts would not be an issue, try a 20w50 or sae 50, the higher viscosity might help a bit

I am already using 20w50, some adviced me to use oil treatment like Mannol doctor 9990 while others said to keep the oil levels in check as the oil treatment will do more harm than good

Keep oil in between dots on the dip stick Do a compression test If all 4 plugs were oily maybe the valve seals were forgotten? Do you have a list of parts and machine work performed?

Originally Posted by andyd
Keep oil in between dots on the dip stick Do a compression test If all 4 plugs were oily maybe the valve seals were forgotten? Do you have a list of parts and machine work performed?

The entire engine like valves and piston rings and all of the engine parts

My car is burning oil too (because of valve seals) I want to see if Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer will help as a temporary fix, because I don't know if the cracked valve seals letting the engine oil burn with the gas hurt any internal parts inside my engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back