Do You "Prime" Your Oil Filters Before Installing Them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes...sort of; I put in fresh oil, allow it to soak in & thru the media, and empty excess...why you might ask? the canister oil filter on the scooter is horizontal and filling to capacity creates a helluva mess! the way I do it primes the media & partially fills the filter to shorten the duration of the first 'dry start' after an oil change...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
... by pre-filling, you are sending those particles to the bearings before it is filtered--if the pre-fill oil contains one of the particles. ...
Always always always fill your oil filter from "Unshaken" oil bottles
Exactly. Nobody has explained why those boulders and pieces of shrapnel won't have settled to the bottom of the bottle before you pour oil off the top.

Fortunately, despite all the passionate arguments, it usually doesn't really matter much whether you pre-fill or not.

Originally Posted by atikovi
You have to get the graphite particles that settle on the bottom uniformly distributed throughout the bottle.

Shake the bottle after pte-filling the filter.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
This goes back to when The Critic was still in diapers @ BITOG, LOL.

REGARDING PARTICLES IN NEW OIL AND FILTER PREFILLINGS - The late Stinky Peterson (RIP)*
Ok. Persuaded. I prefil the filters now, with prefiltered oil. Passed the Melitta #2.
Ok?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Linctex… Friday the 13th and a harvest moon !
Don't you have at least one filter still on since the last date this happened ?
J/K … this thread does give rise to the subject of longer filter use …

I'm pretty sure I've got one or two that have been on/in for at LEAST 15 years!

Posts on them soon, I guess ... but no real reason to change them yet.

Originally Posted by billt460

But how could one convincingly argue that having oil pressure sooner rather than later is a bad thing?
I have never seen words printed on any oil filter stating NOT to pre-fill it.

Absolutely, 100%

I always shake the new oil bottles very well. I always pour some oil in the new filter. I don't go out of my way to fill it, it's more of just getting some in there for the media to absorb.

Originally Posted by sw99
I always shake the new oil bottles very well.

'cause we all know how air bubbles in oil improve lubrication...

Really? How long do you think bubbles are going to stay in oil from shaking a bottle. The spinning crankshaft will have more cavitation than shaking an oil bottle. Oil is formulated for this. Non-issue.

Originally Posted by billt460

I mean really, does anyone actually believe new oil in a sealed container has "contamination" in it that can harm your engine bearings...... Unless it has passed through the oil filter first? That's preposterous.
Even the cheap re-refined stuff goes through a rigorous filtering process.

What about all the engines with no oil filters?!?

Air cooled VW & Porsche engines (COARSE screen)
Aircraft piston engines (simple fine screen)
Tractor engines (simple screen, + bypass oil filter that filters pretty darn slow)
Small engines (NO screen or anything!)
I have worked on some farm tractor engines that the bypass filter hasn't been changed in probably 20 years (but gets oil changed sometimes)

What about motorcycle engines with a shared transmission?
That drained oil usually looks like gold paint in the sun. Yet they run forever.

I have some older Briggs and Honda GX series engines with waaay over 1000 hours on them.
I fill them with nasty, gritty engine oil that is NEW, right from the bottle (LOL!)

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by sw99
I always shake the new oil bottles very well.

'cause we all know how air bubbles in oil improve lubrication...

Really? How long do you think bubbles are going to stay in oil from shaking a bottle. The spinning crankshaft will have more cavitation than shaking an oil bottle. Oil is formulated for this. Non-issue.

Only if you overfill.

Part of this particulate issue could be coming from those who don't do a clean job of their oil change. Working in a sandy or gravel lot, not wiping the oil jug down before opening, keeping yourself clean of debris, these all add up.

Can only imagine how many "I fill" members Googled up micron levels of a coffee filter after PSD's post
(around 20 micron ?) Not that I Googled it (Bing, LoL)

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have never heard of an engine damaged by priming the oil filter. Never.
Please post your experiences to the contrary.
Wow. Hahaha. By 80% failures of engines, nobody can tell you: WHY. Only WHAT was busted.

Therefore, great fail criterion from you. Best
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Wow. Hahaha. By 80% failures of engines, nobody can tell you: WHY. Only WHAT was busted.

laugh.gif

Actually, I have known numerous engine builders and some race car engine builders. Even Master Mechanics.
My older brother was the goto guy for many Porsche engine enthusiasts in Santa Cruz, CA for many years.
Upon disassembly, they diagnose as they go.
That's my experience.

Originally Posted by Linctex
What about all the engines with no oil filters?!?
Tractor engines (simple screen, + bypass oil filter that filters pretty darn slow)
Why do they not use full-flow filters? I used to change the oil and cartridge filter on two tractors, dating from 1952 and 1968. I figured the older one was bypass, because car filters were back then, but never knew whether the '68 was bypass or full flow. Most car filters were full-flow spin-ons by '68.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer

laugh.gif

Actually, I have known numerous engine builders and some race car engine builders. Even Master Mechanics.
My older brother was the goto guy for many Porsche engine enthusiasts in Santa Cruz, CA for many years.
Upon disassembly, they diagnose as they go.
That's my experience.
Ok not ident, but similar to me. But this was not my punchline. If you have a little "scratch" an 4th intake cam(shaft), who can tell you, why?

@PimTac
Sorry. Your magic marble is knackered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back