Ford Fiesta: worth the gamble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Elkins45
I bought it. $9995 plus tax and title. My wife is taking me back to bring it home tomorrow. I briefly considered a 2008 Corolla w/ 132K miles but it had some cosmetic issues and some New York underbody rust.

There was a small bit of a catch with the price: it had to be financed through Ford Motor credit, so I couldn't just write a check. I had to finance $8K for 36 months, but the good news is that there's no prepayment penalty. All that will end up costing me is the loan filing fee. I suppose I could have held out to have that waived but I think sometimes you should just be happy with good enough.

Pictures to follow tomorrow.

They had more than one of them. Here's the listing just in case someone is interested: https://www.mikecastrucciford.com/new/Ford/2019-Ford-Fiesta-41a5aca40a0e0ae9715ec9337bb83753.htm

You qualified for all of these for the price? Sounds like 1 in a million

DAV X-Plan Partner eCoupon Direct Offer
$500
2019 College Student Purchase Program
$500
2019 Farm Bureau Association eCertificate Offer
$500
2019 First Responder Bonus Cash Direct Offer
$500
2019 Military Appreciation Bonus Cash

No, I don't qualify for the bottom four. They sold it at that price anyway.

I bought it. $9995 plus tax and title. My wife is taking me back to bring it home tomorrow.

How cool! Glad it worked out for you.

Nice looking little car.

We had one. It's a pretty nice, reliable car with the 1.6L. No issues except for a flaky dome light in 4 yrs, but sold it when my son moved overseas. Resale value is low because few people drive a manual. The 'S' model we had didn't have cruise, Sync, or power windows. He really liked it. Maintenance was super cheap, around $30 for an oil/filter change and rotation.

The sedan doesn't have the water leaking problems of the hatchback. Don't buy it in auto.

Last edited:
Of course I had one as a rental, it wasn't a bad little car! It was an auto, had plenty of power plus it rode and drove nice. It was quiet inside and had a good amount of room and options. I was surprised how nice it was for a subcompact.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lets see some pics when you get around to it. Should be a good little car that gets you around. Great price too!

Well, I see I guessed right on the dealer.
They always offer something really cheap in their online listings and are generally very aggressive on price.
Bought a '97 Aerostar there years ago for their advertised price of $14,700.00. We rolled up with our two then young sons who partook of the cookout they were having, as did wife and I.
Test drove the van, decided on color, did the paperwork and wife drove it home.
A very pleasant buying experience.
You did great on this purchase and it'll certainly serve you well with the stick.

[Linked Image]

It's taking some relearning to roll down the window
smile.gif
and I think I will have to add cruise control, but so far I'm really liking it. Interestingly it specifies 5w-20 and not 0w like I was expecting. I changed filters after the first 250 miles- - no idea if that really makes a difference but for $4 it seems like it's worth the effort to do it.

I never would have believed I could buy a brand new car from an American company for less than $10K in 2019. I figure if it lasts for 100K miles I will have gotten more than my money's worth.

I think I will have to add cruise control, but so far I'm really liking it.

All newer cars use DBW throttles - I would imagine the only way to add on cruise control is to install the steering wheel or just the switch pods from a higher-spec car and flash/edit the PCM?

You got a nice, simple car that will last you a longish time, collisions and body cancer excluded.

[Linked Image]

It's taking some relearning to roll down the window
smile.gif
and I think I will have to add cruise control, but so far I'm really liking it. Interestingly it specifies 5w-20 and not 0w like I was expecting. I changed filters after the first 250 miles- - no idea if that really makes a difference but for $4 it seems like it's worth the effort to do it.

I never would have believed I could buy a brand new car from an American company for less than $10K in 2019. I figure if it lasts for 100K miles I will have gotten more than my money's worth.

The Fiesta is a great little car that will last a long time and with the stick will be bulletproof too. It's rated as one of the best and most reliable small cars in Europe.

I'm sad it's no longer going to be sold in the USA. I'm in the market next couple of years....
cry.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
I think I will have to add cruise control, but so far I'm really liking it.

All newer cars use DBW throttles - I would imagine the only way to add on cruise control is to install the steering wheel or just the switch pods from a higher-spec car and flash/edit the PCM?

You got a nice, simple car that will last you a longish time, collisions and body cancer excluded.

I ordered a used wheel with controls from an eBay seller for $80. I'm terrified of messing with the software but I don't really have any choice because my understanding is that cruise is turned off on the S models in the control module. From what I understand I will need an interface adapter and a profgram called Forscan to activate it.

I ordered a used wheel with controls from an eBay seller for $80. I'm terrified of messing with the software but I don't really have any choice because my understanding is that cruise is turned off on the S models in the control module. From what I understand I will need an interface adapter and a profgram called Forscan to activate it.

You need cruise that badly? I'm all for DIY stuff, but does CC even come with the manual transmission Fiestas from the factory? I just question if it can be done plug-n-play and would hate to mess with the warranty.

That would be my way of doing it - supposedly Forscan works on any Android device with a ELM327 dongle(Carista or any "genuine" ELM327 should work). A Russian dude writes it. As long as you take your time and verify which value needs to be changed, you can do it.

There's this as an add-on cruise but I'm leery of anything aftermarket that taps into the CAN bus: http://www.rostra.com/custom-pedal-bypass-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

Yes, CC can be added on with Forscan - among a multitude of other things. There's a tutorial I think over in focusfanatics.com; it's for the focus but everything is pretty much the same in both cars.

Also, if you haven't been told yet by your dealer, if you don't want to do your own service there's a Ford's "works" package for service where they'll change the oil/filter, tire rotation/pressure, battery check, fluid fillup, and a general inspection for ~$39 before tax. Only downside is that the dealer may not be using Motorcraft oil and instead be using whatever bulk 5w-20 they have. My local dealer uses Motorcraft so YMMV there.

Gamble? Not in any normal sense of the word.

Me, I'd buy a basic eight year $150 deductible esp warranty from flood ford for less than a thousand bucks as protection against anything catastrophic.

That's your basic transportation for the next eight years for barely more than a pass on the city bus.

I really like the Ford Quicklane Service, although it has gone up to $49 in my area. If you bring your own oil they'll rotate your tires provide the filter for $25. Mobil 1 EP here I come.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Nice and congrats.
thumbsup2.gif

Your experience defies the typical BITOG myth that there are no affordable vehicles left or ones that are simple.

Nearly a myth. I've been trolling the internet for new Fiestas at this kind of price and trim level (manual, S, sedan or HD) and they are rare as hens teeth at around 10k.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Nice deal ... does it have power locks ?

Yes it does. It has keyless entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back